Who gets more credit for improved talent on roster...Whaley or Nix?

herns78

With all the speculation regarding changes in the front office, I started to ponder this question. Whaley's tenure has been more about missed 1st round picks with EJ and Watkins. Nix did a pretty good job bringing in talent over the last few years before he left. Whaley has done a great job in free agency, bringing in guys like Hughes, Lawson, and Graham. It's clear that this team has more talent than any team in the past 15 years (minus QB), so who is more responsible ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's both but Whaley has shown he's very good at talent evaluation. As I've stated in other posts, we've gone through coach after coach who've been fired for what is basically being saddled with subpar talent. You can't turn slow into fast, stupid into smart. They all miss, every single GM misses and often. Whaley is no exception. But he doesn't have a Flowers, McGahee, or Mike Williams (the fat one!) on his first round bio yet. Seriously, Watkins as two first round picks has already surpassed what we got from those 3. Think about that next time we want to run the guy out of town for trading the 2015 first away.

I'm all in on Whaley.

F#$k Buddy Nix! How many first round picks did he blow, while his arrogant attitude, and insistance that "Ryan's our guy" missed on how many quarterbacks?

The whole T.J. Graham deal pisses me off enough to fight the fat bastard every time I think of it!

The only thing he did well was get the hell out of Orchard Park!

Sorry for the rant, but I hated the appointment of Nix when they did it, and hold Russ Brandon equally accountable for us still not having a quarterback that can accurately throw an accurate pass longer than 5 yards!

Nix did give us quite a few really good players and key contributors to this team. Whaley's impact as GM is yet to be determined. Although, he was in charge of scouting and pro personnel so he probably had as much to do with our roster as Nix.

Edited by Bangarang

With all the speculation regarding changes in the front office, I started to ponder this question. Whaley's tenure has been more about missed 1st round picks with EJ and Watkins. Nix did a pretty good job bringing in talent over the last few years before he left. Whaley has done a great job in free agency, bringing in guys like Hughes, Lawson, and Graham. It's clear that this team has more talent than any team in the past 15 years (minus QB), so who is more responsible ?

So sammy Watkins is a "missed 1st pick" now? Too funny.

Both have hits and misses like all GMs. Overall, the talent on this team matches up pretty well across the league IMO. I'm happy with the job both have done, other than the QB position

Hughes wasn't brought in via free agency btw

Edited by NewEra

I don't see where Whaley gets so much credit. There has been some roster improvement but the biggest improvement has been we have had two good DCs now. Whaley has gotten some pieces here but has been really, really bad on the offensive side of the football. Has been horrible at evaluating QBs, horrible at bringing in talent for the o-line (Williams and Kujo wouldn't be good anywhere - Williams was a known poor player), looked desperate pulling the Watkins trade which I might have defended if the WR class wasn't well-known to be the best ever (we could sure use a number 1 pick next year), etc. Frankly, half of the posters here could have done a better job in those most important areas!

Edited by timtebow15

While I love Sammy Watkins, who's to say he wouldn't have been on the board at 9 anyway? And I've questioned the logic of getting a speedy wideout, when you don't have anyone to get him the ball anyway?

Levy, Nix, Brandon, and Whaley have ALL refused to make QB priority one, and we still pay for it!

And as TimTebow15 points out above, Henderson and Kujo are two of the worst missed picks in recent memory.

I have followed this team loyally for 40 years, and if I'm forced to watch another season of Nate Hackett and bull **** quarterback play, I may have to reevaluate what I do on Sunday's next fall.

Edited by harv shitz

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe already said but Nix's background was all college scouting, and Whaley's was all pro scouting. Typically GMs will serve both roles at one time or another before they become a GM. So neither is ideal. That said, if Monos is good enough then Whaley will be ok there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

While I love Sammy Watkins, who's to say he wouldn't have been on the board at 9 anyway? And I've questioned the logic of getting a speedy wideout, when you don't have anyone to get him the ball anyway?

Levy, Nix, Brandon, and Whaley have ALL refused to make QB priority one, and we still pay for it!

And as TimTebow15 points out above, Williams and Kujo are two of the worst missed picks in recent memory.

I have followed this team loyally for 40 years, and if I'm forced to watch another season of Nate Hackett and bull **** quarterback play, I may have to reevaluate what I do on Sunday's next fall.

How can someone be so wrong in one post? It's like art.

Where am I wrong? If Watkins woulda been gone, you still had a shot at several other wideouts that were put up similiar numbers to Watkins.

It's FACT that NONE of the gentleman I mentioned did anything to fix our qb problems, how can I be wrong there?

And if you think Kujo or Henderson will ever be dependable starters and help this O-line, I'd like to see what you see?

F#$k Buddy Nix! How many first round picks did he blow, while his arrogant attitude, and insistance that "Ryan's our guy" missed on how many quarterbacks?

The whole T.J. Graham deal pisses me off enough to fight the fat bastard every time I think of it!

The only thing he did well was get the hell out of Orchard Park!

Sorry for the rant, but I hated the appointment of Nix when they did it, and hold Russ Brandon equally accountable for us still not having a quarterback that can accurately throw an accurate pass longer than 5 yards!

To be sure, Buddy Nix missed some high picks - as pretty much all teams do. But Nix did draft Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd (all in the same draft), CJ Spiller, Marcel Dareus, Aaron Williams, DaNorris Searcy, Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, Nigel Bradham and Ron Brooks.

Not sure whether Nix or Whaley made the pics in 2013, but that draft netted Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso and Duke Williams.

So sammy Watkins is a "missed 1st pick" now? Too funny.

Both have hits and misses like all GMs. Overall, the talent on this team matches up pretty well across the league IMO. I'm happy with the job both have done, other than the QB position

Hughes wasn't brought in via free agency btw

Agreed!!

the team currently has 8 wins and will miss the playoffs again. that's how you evaluate talent collectively. i'd say they're both to blame.

Where am I wrong? If Watkins woulda been gone, you still had a shot at several other wideouts that were put up similiar numbers to Watkins.

It's FACT that NONE of the gentleman I mentioned did anything to fix our qb problems, how can I be wrong there?

And if you think Kujo or Henderson will ever be dependable starters and help this O-line, I'd like to see what you see?

you are wrong because you are criticizing the potential (but hopefully not) continued management structure and therefore are perceived as disrespecting other fans hopes.