First Mountain Lion Seen in Kentucky Since the Civil War

ExiledInIllinois

cept for the getting his ass shot off part

But how much more middle America can you get? "Look, it's an animal we haven't seen in 150 years! Kill it!"

If a passenger pigeon suddenly appeared in New York, it wouldn't be a day before it was someone's dinner.

But how much more middle America can you get? "Look, it's an animal we haven't seen in 150 years! Kill it!"

Except that cougars are man-eaters.

Take this statement anyway you want. :nana:

Seriously, why wou would they want these running around in most polulated parts of the country? There is a very good reason why they were killed off in the east 150 years ago. Just imgaine if they start repopulating their old haunts.

Moose are on the decline in NY report out about why.

A female cougar can cover a pretty big area. I can't imagine if they start making their haunts around here. The whitetail population is exploding.

On another wildlife note:

I just saw the two nesting pair of bald eagles today... @ work, in S.Chicago! Who would have thunk! Here, of all places! Something good is happening. I am trying to get pictures, need my big camera. Quite amazing to see them!

Seriously, why wou would they want these running around in most polulated parts of the country? There is a very good reason why they were killed off in the east 150 years ago. Just imgaine if they start repopulating their old haunts.

What good reason? The eastern cougar was killed off because it was considered a pest, not a threat.

So. What should they have done with it? I can see them relocating it, but won't it just come back? What happens if it gets a taste for humans?

nothing. absolutely nothing. they should have let it go. feral and/or aggressive dogs and cats are more of a risk to harm someone then these things.

the thing is not a damn vampire or zombie and this ain't a movie. it is not going to go after humans with any taste of blood, just like coyotes and foxes. people are afraid of them and some idiots even claim that their horses have been attacked by foxes and coyotes but that's hilarious. brown bears just the same. these animals are not going to bother us and if anything they'll get some stupid house dog or cat that someone is too stupid to keep inside or contained. these animals are not huge as adults - weighing about 100# give or take 20#. that's as big as any newborn calf on most farms.

live and let live, you're in freaking kentucky, not new jersey. dumb rednecks would have shot it if the game warden hadn't. hysteria from the public - being that they are mostly idiots plus living in kentucky which makes them twice as such - well, they would have overreacted.

So. What should they have done with it? I can see them relocating it, but won't it just come back? What happens if it gets a taste for humans?

Depends on where you relocate it, no? I say tag it and relocate it to a preserve or other protected area.

I think that lion was someone's pet that escaped or was released. They have mountain lions here in San Diego county and they are extremely shy, if you ever see a mountain lion it will be just before it crushes your skull with a death bite. That lion in that picture was not afraid of humans, a pet in other words.