MR. PEGULA PLEASE READ: Offensive yards per play (Bills 1990-2014), r

Estro

NFL offenses' weren't quite as prolific in the 90's and early 2000's as they are now. With that in mind, and with respect to the point I'm trying to make I will post where the Bills ranked in offensive yards per play (which in my mind best reflects an offenses ability.) 1 obviously being the best offense in the NFL, and 30-32 being the worst offense in the league. Years we made the playoffs in ( )'s.

1990: 2 (Super Bowl Loss)

1991: 3 (ditto)

1992: 6 (ditto)

1993: 17 (ditto)

1994: 18

1995: 22 (Divisional Round Loss)

1996: 21 (Wildcard Round Loss)

1997: 23

1998: 7 (Wildcard Round Loss)

1999: 14 (Wildcard Round Loss)

Let the playoff drought begin:

2000: 12

2001: 17

2002: 13

2003: 30

2004: 26

2005: 27

2006: 26

2007: 22

2008: 22

2009: 28

2010: 22

2011: 13

2012: 13

2013: 29

2014: 29

This makes it pretty easy to see where the ineptitude of this franchise lies in the last 15 seasons. Our offense has never ranked above 13th in the last 15 seasons, and we've only had 5 seasons where the offense could be called average. Let me state that another way: We have not once in the last 15 seasons finished in the top third of the league in offensive yards per play. Incredible!

Another point is the imprint Marrone has made on this team offensively. It's been horrendous. Back to back rankings of 29th offensively, that coming off back to back rankings of 13th under Gailey....and you could argue Marrone had more to work with. Like this year, some of our defenses have been stellar the past 15 seasons, but a stellar defense can't get a bad offense into the playoffs, as evidenced by above.

The only way to get into the playoffs and sustain success is to get our offense right, and I DO NOT trust Marrone and his staff to get it right. His teams offensive rankings are pitiful and I think this makes it very clear we need a change.

Edited by Estro

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... my takeaways are:

1. LAMP

2. The board didn't have enough first page threads criticizing Doug Marrone and the offense, and calling for him to be fired.

3. You believe Terry Pegula reads Two Bills Drive.

4. You believe Terry Pegula would/should make business decisions based on posts on an internet message board.

That's a pretty telling stat, 13, 13, 29, 29. Especially because I think this offense had more talent than Chan's even with Orton, and 10x better defenses, which help the offense.

But, but.....chans offense was always trailing and defenses played the prevent, allowing that ypp avg. but, but.....our OL and Qb are terrible. But, but, but, but.

But nothing. Marrones offense is weak. He doesn't play against the big east anymore. He doesn't have drew Brees and Sean Payton anymore. His offense is inept. If he's to keep his job, he needs to bring in another OC and offensive philosophy. But, but.....we wanted to fire Danny Crossman last year. I'd rather bring back chan and retain schwartz. I wasn't a chan supporter, but his offense wasn't painful to watch. His biggest mistake was not bringing in a better DC. The offense has regressed with similar or better talent than what chan was working with. It's a fact. 29th in yards per play isn't good enough to warrant bringing back an OC with 2 years of nfl coaching under his belt.

But, but.....

Great post. It suggests a lot of things, one of which is that failure in the NFL is closely correlated with inept offensive football, and vice versa. It is a lot easier to build a strong defense than a consistently successful offense, and the Bills failure these past fifteen years has been tied closely to their utter offensive incompetence, which in turn has been caused by lousy QB play coupled with a substandard offensive line--the exact same problems we have today. That's why I really don't believe this team is much closer to success than it was five or ten years ago.

Mr Pegula,

Our offense sucks badly.

Please pay Aaron Rodgers 500 million for 2 years and get him over here. ASAP.

Thanks.

Ps. Most bills fans think you have all this $$$$. Waste it. Pay the penalty for going over cap too. Who cares. You're filthy rich anyway.

Edit: Year 3 give him another extension. This time 500 million per season. It's only fair.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Mr Pegula,

Our offense sucks badly.

Please pay Aaron Rodgers 500 million for 2 years and get him over here. ASAP.

Thanks.

Ps. Most bills fans think you have all this $$$$. Waste it. Pay the penalty for going over cap too. Who cares. You're filthy rich anyway.

Edit: Year 3 give him another extension. This time 500 million per season. It's only fair.

Not a bad idea. He overpaid for the team about 400 million. So he's obviously not concerned over a few hundred million here and there.

Mr. Pegula,

Please prevent Doug Marrone from wearing visors. They belong on the golf course, nowhere else

Or Hospital Suits.

Even "hoodie" dresses better than maroneybaloney. And that's bad yall. That's really bad.

Not a bad idea. He overpaid for the team about 400 million. So he's obviously not concerned over a few hundred million here and there.

I try. No one really gives me compliments, but I try.

So... my takeaways are:

1. LAMP

2. The board didn't have enough first page threads criticizing Doug Marrone and the offense, and calling for him to be fired.

4. You believe Terry Pegula would/should make business decisions based on posts on an internet message board.

Actually, he's using real data to make a point rather than just popping off which, in itself, is worthy of your respect, even if you disagree.

You obviously disagree...why don't you defend your opinion instead of insulting the guy?

For all the abuse he gets, and I may get for saying this...

Fitz > Orton

The Good: Fitz got rid of the ball quickly. Fitz could find the open man. Fitz could scramble when he had to. Fitz made a bad offensive line look serviceable.

The Bad: Fitz had a weak arm. Fitz threw too many interceptions. Fitz didn't always have the touch on the dump off passes.

Compared to Orton, I think the good with Fitz outweighs the bad, and is part of the reason the offensive performance has dropped off since he left.

NFL offenses' weren't quite as prolific in the 90's and early 2000's as they are now. With that in mind, and with respect to the point I'm trying to make I will post where the Bills ranked in offensive yards per play (which in my mind best reflects an offenses ability.) 1 obviously being the best offense in the NFL, and 30-32 being the worst offense in the league. Years we made the playoffs in ( )'s.

1990: 2 (Super Bowl Loss)

1991: 3 (ditto)

1992: 6 (ditto)

1993: 17 (ditto)

1994: 18

1995: 22 (Divisional Round Loss)

1996: 21 (Wildcard Round Loss)

1997: 23

1998: 7 (Wildcard Round Loss)

1999: 14 (Wildcard Round Loss)

Let the playoff drought begin:

2000: 12

2001: 17

2002: 13

2003: 30

2004: 26

2005: 27

2006: 26

2007: 22

2008: 22

2009: 28

2010: 22

2011: 13

2012: 13

2013: 29

2014: 29

This makes it pretty easy to see where the ineptitude of this franchise lies in the last 15 seasons. Our offense has never ranked above 13th in the last 15 seasons, and we've only had 5 seasons where the offense could be called average. Let me state that another way: We have not once in the last 15 seasons finished in the top third of the league in offensive yards per play. Incredible!

Another point is the imprint Marrone has made on this team offensively. It's been horrendous. Back to back rankings of 29th offensively, that coming off back to back rankings of 13th under Gailey....and you could argue Marrone had more to work with. Like this year, some of our defenses have been stellar the past 15 seasons, but a stellar defense can't get a bad offense into the playoffs, as evidenced by above.

The only way to get into the playoffs and sustain success is to get our offense right, and I DO NOT trust Marrone and his staff to get it right. His teams offensive rankings are pitiful and I think this makes it very clear we need a change.

make Chan the OC problem solved

But, but.....chans offense was always trailing and defenses played the prevent, allowing that ypp avg. but, but.....our OL and Qb are terrible. But, but, but, but.

But nothing. Marrones offense is weak. He doesn't play against the big east anymore. He doesn't have drew Brees and Sean Payton anymore. His offense is inept. If he's to keep his job, he needs to bring in another OC and offensive philosophy. But, but.....we wanted to fire Danny Crossman last year. I'd rather bring back chan and retain schwartz. I wasn't a chan supporter, but his offense wasn't painful to watch. His biggest mistake was not bringing in a better DC. The offense has regressed with similar or better talent than what chan was working with. It's a fact. 29th in yards per play isn't good enough to warrant bringing back an OC with 2 years of nfl coaching under his belt.

But, but.....

our WRS are way better now than under Chan, we would have run circles around the league with the guys we have now

For all the abuse he gets, and I may get for saying this...

Fitz > Orton

The Good: Fitz got rid of the ball quickly. Fitz could find the open man. Fitz could scramble when he had to. Fitz made a bad offensive line look serviceable.

The Bad: Fitz had a weak arm. Fitz threw too many interceptions. Fitz didn't always have the touch on the dump off passes.

Compared to Orton, I think the good with Fitz outweighs the bad, and is part of the reason the offensive performance has dropped off since he left.

If Fitz had an arm we would have been golden, I really wanted him to succeed but he just didn't have it physically.

We can't win; we either get a guy with talent that cant play or a try hard guy without talent . Orton has the ability but his desire is his downfall.

So... my takeaways are:

1. LAMP

The OP put a nice post together painting a picture of how inept the offense is and wrapped it enough nicely pointing out the nose dive taken under Marrones watch. Dont think that the new ownership doesnt have a PR department filling him on on social media. Your another poster who feels the needs to stick his chest out behind a keyboard and bash someone. Move along

That's a pretty telling stat, 13, 13, 29, 29. Especially because I think this offense had more talent than Chan's even with Orton, and 10x better defenses, which help the offense.

Gailey would have had this offense putting up points, especially when coupled with this D and a better deep throwing QB like Orton...I really, really would like to see what he could do as an OC here, but its very unlikely he would come back in that capacity...I think he would be a very good OC for us...

So... my takeaways are:

1. LAMP

If you're cool with the way the Bills perform on Sundays, more power to you. I am not and the point of my post was to show the direct correlation between bad offense and not making the playoffs. I also believe the evidence shows that our offense is an absolute wreck and is way worse then it was with lesser talent 3 years ago. Knowing that you need a good offense to sustain success in the NFL makes the decision to get rid of Marrone a very easy one, IMO.

Also while I don't expect Terry PeGula to check Buffalo Bills forums it wouldn't surprise me if he has the pulse on what fans think. I know he listens to WGR radio......and I know a lot of what gets discussed on Wgr also gets discussed here. For all the crap Mike Schoop gets on this board.....the guy for the most part is dead on. If the guys running One Bills Drive shared half of Schoop's philosophies over the last 15 years we'd have been a lot better off.

Edited by Estro

Estro makes a good point. But it's an old point wrapped in different statistics. Even the casual fan knows the offense sucks. You don't need any statistics to see that.

I really don't think the Pegulas need to read this. I'd be shocked if their analysis isn't far, far more detailed than what Estro provided us.

But it is kind of interesting to see 2011 and 2012 and compare them to 2013-2014.