Financials on Orton

YoloinOhio

I think they are still evaluating him......hence why he is starting the last game.

We need a new regime if that's the case. What we saw from Orton this year is reflective of his entire career, we should definitely know what we have by now. Even if he were to play lights out again the Patsies, it doesn't change who he is from his overall body of work. I think Marrone just views him as his best chance to win, and hopes a big win in New England will help his job security. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

@mikerodak: If the Bills cut Orton after the season, they will avoid paying $5.5M of the $7M. Would have $1.5M dead money figure.

I don't think they like him. I think he will be cut. Jmo.

Orton is about as good a a backup as there is in the NFL. a 0.500 career who can keep a team afloat when a more capable starter is hurt. He will be gone if he continues to want starter level money even if it is lower-tier starter. What is more interesting to me is what the staff does with EJ. Does Whaley stand true to his word and trust he made the right pick ? Lot of moving parts and we have no idea how the situation will shake out. A few things that can define plans:

- Does a high profile QB get cut/ traded e.g. Eli Manning, Brees, Kaep, RG III

- Does Orton want the same level of salary

- Does the FO think there is a hidden gem in the 2nd round

you are right I looked at the contract detail, Bills don't owe him anything

The site you posted shows 1.5M dead next year if we cut him. Looks like they prorated his signing bonus over the life of the contract (as is typical), thus accounting for $1.5M of his bonus against next year's cap...aka dead money.

Edited by MoreOffense

The site you posted shows 1.5M dead next year if we cut him. Looks like they prorated his signing bonus over the life of the contract (as is typical), thus accounting for $1.5M of his bonus against next year's cap...aka dead money.

ah yes. I'm confusing myself. I was right the first time.

I also thought we were originally told in the media that Orton had a player option for the second year. That the second year was his choice. Hopefully it is ours.

That's why I was thinking maybe it would have been wise to start EJ in the last game. To show Orton that he may not be in the plans, so he wouldn't necessarily exercise that option, and we could say he's going to have to win the job in training camp, whether against EJ or another guy we bring in.

Lot of questions here. Do we want Kyle to come back? Does Kyle want to come back and play another year in a Pop Warner offense? I'm sure his agent is beating the bushes for another deal elsewhere as we speak.

As a backup only. You are going no where with Orton as a starter. It has been proven for 9 years now.