songs that tell a story

Cugalabanza

Desolation Row- Dylan

One of my favorite Dylan songs. I love the rich imagery, but after listening over the years, I still can't decipher what it's about-

http://vimeo.com/11222889

Well, I can help here. To me (mind you) it's about hitting a personal bottom. Arrived at through circumstance or by your own hand. Hence the brilliant twist at the end "Don't send no more letters no, not unless you mail them from Desolation Row." To wit, the character in the song is essentially saying "Don't even try to talk to me if you've haven't been through it as well"

It's more an emotional state than a physical reality. Just my thought on it.

Edited by gomper

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear - The Antlers

Wreck on the Highway - Springsteen

Needle in the Hay - Elliott Smith

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Zevon

and finally...

Kim - Eminem

Edited by LeviF91

Well, I can help here. To me (mind you) it's about hitting a personal bottom. Arrived at through circumstance or by your own hand. Hence the brilliant twist at the end "Don't send no more letters no, not unless you mail them from Desolation Row." To wit, the character in the song is essentially saying "Don't even try to talk to me if you've haven't been through it as well"

It's more an emotional state than a physical reality. Just my thought on it.

interesting interpretation. There are many other deep lines. "They are selling postcards of the hanging" refers to a lynching in Minnesota, which they sold postcards of. Dylan states that all the characters are people he knows, but he changed the names. Lots of metaphors to decipher. Ophelia a people pleaser from Hamlet. Navy hits up a beauty parlor, and clock strikes midnight, and Cinderella needs to pick up mess. Romeo tries to pick up someone elses girl, and and a melee. The nurse, a local loser has both cynide pills and has cards that say "have mercy on their soul". Casanova- "kills him with self confidence, after poisoning him with words" Ezra Pound, TS Elliot, mermaids, monks, Nero, hunchback of Notre Dame, Noah, Einstein, Robin Hood, the Good Samaritan, etc- they all are characters Dylan knew

Some of my favs:

Jeremy - Pearl Jam (about a kid who blew his head off in front of his class)

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty (about his life post Stealers Wheel and some lawsuits he was dealing with)

Solsbury Hill (Gabriel's feelings about leaving Genesis)

Thunder Road/The River - Generic stories... I prefer this type of song to be about real events...

Very appropriate! :D

Ever see the SNL version where Frank trades verses with Don Pardo?

http://youtu.be/RWoxUvWHtB4

pretty sure i read some where that was his one and only SNL appearance, Lorne Michaels banned him for being to hard on the other actors who liked to partake in a toke or two...and he was so anti drug.

I did not know that.

interesting interpretation. There are many other deep lines. "They are selling postcards of the hanging" refers to a lynching in Minnesota, which they sold postcards of. Dylan states that all the characters are people he knows, but he changed the names. Lots of metaphors to decipher. Ophelia a people pleaser from Hamlet. Navy hits up a beauty parlor, and clock strikes midnight, and Cinderella needs to pick up mess. Romeo tries to pick up someone elses girl, and and a melee. The nurse, a local loser has both cynide pills and has cards that say "have mercy on their soul". Casanova- "kills him with self confidence, after poisoning him with words" Ezra Pound, TS Elliot, mermaids, monks, Nero, hunchback of Notre Dame, Noah, Einstein, Robin Hood, the Good Samaritan, etc- they all are characters Dylan knew

Pete, thanks for the reply and happy holidays to you and yours.

I honestly think that in this song, the emotional overrides the physical.

The verses you quoted, while dripping with imagery. are just a long metaphor to convey the not only barren , but searing emptiness that life can deal you.

Hence the line "I received your letter yesterday, about the time the doorknob broke" "When you asked how I was doing, was that some kind of joke?"

Again, just one mans opinion.

Maybe this version can provide a bit of clarification.

https://www.youtube....h?v=TMz0iOTfjmM

Edited by gomper