Is Peyton Manning quietly playing his last season?

Yes, he is still having a pro bowl caliber season statistically BUT...

Look at these stats the last few games:

Miami 28/35 257 yards 7.3 Avg 4 TDs 0 INTS

KC 17/24 179 yards 5.3 Avg 2 TDs 0 INTS

BUF 14/20 173 yards 8.7 Avg 0 TDS 2 INTS

SD 14/20 233 yards 11.7 Avg 1 TD 0 INTS

CIN 28/44 311 yards 7.1 Avg 2 TDS 4 INTS

Manning has arm strength has noticeably regressed in the month of December and the broncos have been forced to rely upon CJ Anderson and defense to stay in games. I remember Manning appearing noodle armed two years ago in the Divsional playoff matchup vs Baltimore, but that was in January. It appears to me that he is hitting the physical wall a full month earlier than he has the last two years.

He is still better than 2/3s of all the QBs in the league, but I feel like this year more than others the talent around Manning is carrying him more than the other way around.

Do you think think he is quietly playing his last season?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it will be hard for the Broncos to maintain even this level of success next year, but at the same time, they have no real QB successor to Peyton, so face the prospect of a rebuild. My guess is he plays one more year as they groom someone, but that depends on whether his body holds out.

KC, BUF, SD, CIN is a stretch of good defenses too. obviously the 4th quarter lastnight was BAD but minus that quarter, it hasnt been quite as shocking a stat line.

hes getting there, but I think we see him in 2015 (and maaaaaaybe finishes out his contract with 2016, but thats it)

Edited by NoSaint

KC, BUF, SD, CIN is a stretch of good defenses too. obviously the 4th quarter lastnight was BAD but minus that quarter, it hasnt been quite as shocking a stat line.

hes getting there, but I think we see him in 2015 (and maaaaaaybe finishes out his contract with 2016, but thats it)

this.

As long as he keeps them winning enough to make the playoffs and his chances are still possible to get to the SB, he'll be back. At least the next year or 2

Probably not. If you look at the full season stats, he's actually having one of the better years of his career. This is already his 3rd best season in terms of TD passes and he has thrown for about his career averages in yardage and interceptions. He's also beating his career averages in terms of yardage per attempt and per completion. And the Broncos are winning.

He may decide that he's had enough, but the numbers strongly suggest that he can still play at a very high level.

This is stats versus eyeball test. If you have watched his last few games, it really does appear that he is pretty close to being done. I think it's 50/50 at best that he comes back next year. If he doesn't and some really good veteran QB unexpectedly hits the market (Brees, Eli, etc.) that's just another team that will be hot and heavy in the QB market.

I doubt this is his last season. I would not be surprised if he plays the next 2 years. He isn't going to just take the money and run for the next two years. What he is going to do is bust his ass off to get better every week and train in the offseason to win a championship. That's who he is.

I say yes. I think he only came back this year to try to avenge the dismantling they got in the Super Bowl. He looks exhausted.

He's got a career ahead of him in broadcasting and television or even coaching where he'll make money.

With all that talent on offense, the Broncos just need competent quarterbacking. Hard to come by yes considering our predicament but they don't need a HOF to score touchdowns there.

I doubt this is his last season. I would not be surprised if he plays the next 2 years. He isn't going to just take the money and run for the next two years. What he is going to do is bust his ass off to get better every week and train in the offseason to win a championship. That's who he is.

Yeah, but that is what he already did going into THIS season.

He's old.

Yeah, but that is what he already did going into THIS season.

He's old.

And he is still a top 8 QB and a team loaded with talent.

Anything can happen in this league and the Broncos will leverage their farm this offseason to give another push.

Manning's been floating ducks for some time now. But he's had an all star cast of weapons to bail him out. That's going to change this offseason when the sal cap finally catches up with the Broncos and they lose these weapons to free agency.

If Manning's dying arm doesn't convince him to hang em up, seeing an exodus of his weapons leaving almost certainly will.

Watching him play the last few weeks, it appears his arm is gone. Watch the passes he is throwing, some are duck balls, wobbly and high, up for grabs. I think this is his last year, too bad, one of the greats.

His arm did look bad last night, but he's been relying on smarts rather than his arm for a while now. Also, the 4Q last night was played in a downpour.