Would you have an issue if Hughes got the Blu Flu on Sunday?

plenzmd1

I know these guys have a different mind set, but it is an absolutely meaningless game for both teams. I could even see an argument for "athletic integrity " if the Pats* needed it for home field, but this is a de facto exhibition game.

I mean an injury in this game could cost this guy $20 million or more in guaranteed money. I would have zero issue if he requested to sit....he has done enough for the Bills I think they owe him this.

Thoughts?

If this is the case why not just forfeit the game and move on? The Raiders could have laid down last week and didn't. There is something to be said for having pride in your team and game.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the case why not just forfeit the game and move on? The Raiders could have laid down last week and didn't. There is something to be said for having pride in your team and game.

again, just being devils advocate here...we don't care about preseason results and want to rest folks so they don't get hurt...what is the difference between a preseason game and this one?

The outcome has no bearing on either team...or any other team for that matter

Edited by plenzmd1

As a contrarian, I would then ask, should the Bills sit Highes to keep him under 10 sacks, and devalue what they have to pay him to stay.? this discussion is a waste. Hughes will play.....to the best of his ability.

if you think his paycheck from the bills would be noticeably different at 9.5 vs 10.5 sacks, i think you are exaggerating how hard teams look at stat sheets instead of game film.

again, just being devils advocate here...we don't care about preseason results and want to rest folks so they don't get hurt...what is the difference between a preseason game and this one?

you go out and you play hard - its probably safer for you that way....

but i would not be opposed to seeing someone like CK get a few reps, maybe give bryce brown extra carries etx....

if you think his paycheck from the bills would be noticeably different at 9.5 vs 10.5 sacks, i think you are exaggerating how hard teams look at stat sheets instead of game film.

you go out and you play hard - its probably safer for you that way....

but i would not be opposed to seeing someone like CK get a few reps, maybe give bryce brown extra carries etx....

good point regarding the DL rotation too. May see fewer reps for the big guys.

imo the difference is a winning record and a non winning record. It may mean nothing to you but that is not the case for players and coaches who have worked extremely hard since OTAs.

Brady said it best when asked last night about not playing in final meaningless game.

He said: "what do you mean meaningless" ? I love playing this game and cherish every opportunity I get to play it, and hopefully will for many more years".

Exactly. These players are elite competitors. They are more at risk of injury half-a****g it than playing their best. JMO. And of course money is on the line.

I don't think these guys go out and play the game worrying about injury. Preseason is different -- you have future grocery baggers laying their lives on the line who could take out your knee.

I believe the players on the team have more respect for each other than to "sit out" a regular season game if they're healthy. Plus, "meaningless" or not, it's the damn Pats.* As a Bills fan I'm pissed if they aren't going all out to win. A W earns an overall winning record, a share of the division "title" (4-2), the first win in Gillette, etc.

I don't think these guys go out and play the game worrying about injury. Preseason is different -- you have future grocery baggers laying their lives on the line who could take out your knee.

I believe the players on the team have more respect for each other than to "sit out" a regular season game if they're healthy. Plus, "meaningless" or not, it's the damn Pats.* As a Bills fan I'm pissed if they aren't going all out to win. A W earns an overall winning record, a share of the division "title" (4-2), the first win in Gillette, etc.

i forgot to mention the fact that it's the Pats. Beating them at all would be huge. Beating them at NE would be unprecedented. Ask the Jets whether they took their last game against them as meaningless.

I love all this tough guy posts. "He is under contract and he better pay or I'll cut him."

I expect a lower rotation from him.

He'll be in first half to try get that 1/2 sack but if that game gets out of hand, I'd expect him to either be sat or "pull a hammy."

He has 100 mlion reasons to sit on the sidelines for this game. I doubt he does sit for the whole game.

To play Devils advocate

What if you were said player.....you willing to put $20m on the line for a meaningless game? Really in your heart of hearts?

I am in sales. To me, this is akin to my boss saying to me " get that last deal for the year so I make my bonus, even though I know commission rates will triple January 1, and the only reason said boss is close to his bonus is chase I am 190% of quota.

I will sand bag that deal like no ones business. I don't see the difference.

Hmmm, I'd triple your quota for next year. If you double your goal, the goal was far too low.

Also you'd be called out for not being a team player in your perf review which you advocate for Jerry too.

Hughes is going to get over paid, and he won't perform near where he has been elsewhere because hes the fourth best in the best front four in the NFL.

Notice the packers ran at 55 the whole game as did LAR and they shredded the bills on the ground.

I'm not seeing us being able to sign 4 defensive lineman to big contracts, dareus isy going to take serious coin and is the most necessary signing. Hughes is a nice asset to a talented line but he is not that complete of a player

Agreed. They need to start developing young talent for the front 4 anyway. Kyle and mario are getting older. MD99 is the biggest must keep. It's apparent when he's not in.

If I am Marrone I give these guys a big week of practice. I set the tone of winning. We're about to face a team that is very good and we have nothing to lose. They won't fight hard, maybe even. But, I want to go in there to win and make them remember that they have to come back to the AFCE and play us next year. I want us to set a tone for what is to come. We're not the same Buffalo Bills of the past who walk in to Foxboro and let ourselves be beaten. I want to go in there and knock a few of their guys out. I want to go in there and beat the snot out of them and make them remember that we are going to challenge them next year.

If I am Marrone I give these guys a big week of practice. I set the tone of winning. We're about to face a team that is very good and we have nothing to lose. They won't fight hard, maybe even. But, I want to go in there to win and make them remember that they have to come back to the AFCE and play us next year. I want us to set a tone for what is to come. We're not the same Buffalo Bills of the past who walk in to Foxboro and let ourselves be beaten. I want to go in there and knock a few of their guys out. I want to go in there and beat the snot out of them and make them remember that we are going to challenge them next year.

This sounds more like hockey than football to me...sending a message for the next game.

Also,..on the winning record point, you guys are right.....it is not a big deal to me, but i can absolutely see how it is for the players. I did not take that into consideration.

i forgot to mention the fact that it's the Pats. Beating them at all would be huge. Beating them at NE would be unprecedented. Ask the Jets whether they took their last game against them as meaningless.

diffrernce yolo is they were trying to keep the Pats from getting home field....i would never had brought this up Denver had won last night. Then i believe the Bills obligation would be try as hard as possible to win, as the outcome of the game does matter...it does not one iota this weekend

I'm not seeing us being able to sign 4 defensive lineman to big contracts, dareus isy going to take serious coin and is the most necessary signing. Hughes is a nice asset to a talented line but he is not that complete of a player

I'd like to see Hughes back but I also got to believe he's the beneficiary of playing with 3 potential pro bowl players and that has some real positive impact on his production. Kind of like the 4th Ghostbuster. Did it really matter who played the part (it was Ernie Hudson)?

Edited by All_Pro_Bills