Would you have an issue if Hughes got the Blu Flu on Sunday?

plenzmd1

I'd like to see Hughes back but I also got to believe he's the beneficiary of playing with 3 potential pro bowl players and that has some real positive impact on his production. Kind of like the 4th Ghostbuster. Did it really matter who played the part (it was Ernie Hudson)?

If we had to replace him, that would be a big factor. But remember, Kyle Williams is getting old and doesn't have much left in the tank. Dareus is an UFA next year.

Other than Mario, no part of that stellar front is locked in...so to suggest that cutting Hughes loose would be anything but disastrous for us is crazy.

Edited by MoreOffense

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To play Devils advocate

What if you were said player.....you willing to put $20m on the line for a meaningless game? Really in your heart of hearts?

I am in sales. To me, this is akin to my boss saying to me " get that last deal for the year so I make my bonus, even though I know commission rates will triple January 1, and the only reason said boss is close to his bonus is chase I am 190% of quota.

I will sand bag that deal like no ones business. I don't see the difference.

I hear ya, but I guess I'm still old school. He still has a contract to play right now and I'd expect him to be playing hard until his contract is up.

If JH gets one more sack this year it could lead to his earning extra millions. Double digit sack totals look better on the stat sheet than single digits.

Yeah, the extra digit helps give it that "wow" factor. Could a strong final game increase his odds of making the Pro Bowl? I know most of the fan voting is over, but I don't think the players/coaches vote till after the season. I could see a big final (even if meaningless) game against Brady giving him the extra push/recency bias to get him in the game, or at least make him an alternate.

I actually think the Bills D is going to unload on Brady and Schwartz is going to bring the kitchen sink. They were on top of the world last week shutting down the league MVP and then it all came crashing down when they couldn't shut down a rookie and bad offense.. Schwartz's stock was never higher for a HC job and of he has any interest in that I think he will want to end on a great note and what better way than beating Brady in NE. Plus Pepper Johnson and Spikes still have extra motivation as it didn't go their way week 6. We couldn't cover Gronk last time but we have AW this time, it could help.

On Hughes - he still has something to prove as well. He had 3 years of no productivity before coming to the Bills. He never did anything until he started playing on this DL. A plus for him is he showed he could produce in 2 different schemes. He has not shown he can produce as the #1 pass rusher or on a weaker DL but that's the money he will demand.

Yeah, the extra digit helps give it that "wow" factor. Could a strong final game increase his odds of making the Pro Bowl? I know most of the fan voting is over, but I don't think the players/coaches vote till after the season. I could see a big final (even if meaningless) game against Brady giving him the extra push/recency bias to get him in the game, or at least make him an alternate.

A sack of the great D. Carr Sunday would have been helpful...

Nobody knows better than the players how meaningless this game is. It's nothing more than a glorified preseason game, except the players are getting a game check to play it. That paycheck won't be enough to convince anyone to put it all on the line. I look for the run to the bus to commence as soon as they take the field. And I look for the starters to get a fraction of the snaps they normally would. This is a meaningless game played by players with no meaningful expectations.

It would be interesting to know if there are any incentive thresholds to be met. Does Hughes get a bonus for 10 sacks, etc.? That's the only thing I can think of that would serve to motivate the players. And even then, I don't see them risking injury to give meaningful second efforts when needed.

GO BILLS!!!