Pope Francis ain't messing around

When you paint a few million people into one stereotype, you can even get me to defend the Catholic Church.

And the point of this thread is that Francis is someone working towards a better church, which is to commended. He may not be perfect but he's a helluva lot more in touch than his predecessors.

The problem is, you can work on reforming something that is fundamentally flawed to its core. You may even make some cosmetic fixes. But you're never going to be able to address the root issues that the RCC faces because they're at the very heart of what makes Roman Catholicism Roman Catholicism.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you paint a few million people into one stereotype, you can even get me to defend the Catholic Church.

And the point of this thread is that Francis is someone working towards a better church, which is to commended. He may not be perfect but he's a helluva lot more in touch than his predecessors.

So when he refers to the Catholic Church he's referring to all who follow the Catholic religion?

So when he refers to the Catholic Church he's referring to all who follow the Catholic religion?

An excellent point. I know a good number of Catholics (even in my own family) who are good, decent, upstanding people. But that doesn't absolve the church which they belong to from its GROSS negligence (at best) or malfeasance (at worst).

Nope. That's why I didn't say a few hundred million Mr. Petty.

Catholics as pillar of their faith, believe in a dogma of Papal infallibility. Given this, and our knowledge of the corruption and immorality of the Church, it's not much of a stretch to indict every Catholic on the planet.

Catholics as pillar of their faith, believe in a dogma of Papal infallibility. Given this, and our knowledge of the corruption and immorality of the Church, it's not much of a stretch to indict every Catholic on the planet.

So by this logic we're all a bunch of losers. :D

As with most of Pope Francis' writings, the media only sees what t wants

http://www.catholicw...nedict_xvi.aspx

have you read this article? it asserts that it has for some time been a belief of the church that climate change is real and should be addressed. the argument presented is that frank's stance is not radical because it's not new to the church.

i've never seen the pope's words parsed and reinterpreted more than those of frank by the american catholic press. can you not deduce anything from this phenomenon?

perhaps an investigation of the term ex cathedra is warranted here. neither frank or benny produced any teaching considered ex cathedra so far thus no infallible teachings or statements. it's a quite rare event actually. maybe a reading of some of aquinas' works would help... Edited by birdog1960

have you read this article. it asserts that it has for some time been a belief of the church that climate change is real and should be addressed. the argument presented is that frank's stance is not radical because it's not new to the church.

i've never seen the pope's words parsed more than those of frank by the american catholic press. can you not deduce anything from this phenomenon?

perhaps an investigation of the term ex cathedra is warranted here. maybe a reading of some of aquinas' works...

Yes, of course I read the article.

The point that Pope Francis is not the first of the church to say this is exactly what the author (and myself) wanted to get across.

as were the links in reply #31

How clever of you to grasp the obvious.

Edited by B-Man

Yes, of course I read the article.

The point that Pope Francis is not the first of the church to say this is exactly what the author (and myself) wanted to get across.

as were the links in reply #31

How clever of you to grasp the obvious.

so you agree that the catholic church recognizes climate change as a serious problem requiring urgent attention and has for many years?

so you agree that the catholic church recognizes climate change as a serious problem requiring urgent attention and has for many years?

Yes.

I would substitute your "urgent" with "appropriate", however.

No need to use the media's tactic of "spinning"

Also, I want to apologize for my rudeness in reply #33...........it was not warranted...........I've had a rough few days, but no excuse.

Yes.

I would substitute your "urgent" with "appropriate", however.

No need to use the media's tactic of "spinning"

Also, I want to apologize for my rudeness in reply #33...........it was not warranted...........I've had a rough few days, but no excuse.

thank you. it is PPP. there was no offense taken

perhaps an investigation of the term ex cathedra is warranted here. neither frank or benny produced any teaching considered ex cathedra so far thus no infallible teachings or statements. it's a quite rare event actually. maybe a reading of some of aquinas' works would help...

I was hoping this would be your response.

You've essentially admitted that the current Pope is nothing more than a disillusioned South American pseudo-intellectual, radically influenced by the revolutions in his own country in his youth, now pontificating (lowercase "P") on topics he's not qualified to address, and conforming to his Che Guevara confirmation biases along the way. You admit he has no authority to speak to these topics, yet he lends the weight of his position. You admit he's a !@#$.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

THAT was rude? I thought it was quite pleasant and friendly, myself.

It's why I left. I couldn't reconcile that dogma with the church's position on several things.