Tell me why Sammy....

Bronc24

They did throw two balls down the field to Sammy. One was a TD and one he was open for a TD and Orton just missed him by a couple yards. That happens. So why would they ever consider trying it again. And it's not just Orton making bad decisions. If you're the coach you introduce Watkins to Orton on the sidelines and you say, "Throw the !@#$ing ball to 14."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....never gets the ball on a bubble screen? His YAC was one of his strong points coming out of college and Clemson ran them all the time, with great success. I at least thought we'd have it in the playbook.

This alone should get Hackett turfed.

The Bills are the worst bubble screen running team in the league. I'm not sure why, but more times than not it's a yard losing play.

Other teams think we are going to throw passes to our best player, especially after a long score early in the game. We're going to pull the old switcheroo and fool them by ignoring him.

Who can argue with that strategy? Especially when it's working.

This would be the John Rauch strategy with OJ, 1969-1970.....

This would be the John Rauch strategy with OJ, 1969-1970.....

Yup, and then followed by the totally surprising and revolutionary strategy of Lou Saban being hired and saying, "Juice, we are just going to feed you the ball and keep doing it until they stop you." And lo and behold, about six years later, they did.

They did throw two balls down the field to Sammy. One was a TD and one he was open for a TD and Orton just missed him by a couple yards. That happens. So why would they ever consider trying it again. And it's not just Orton making bad decisions. If you're the coach you introduce Watkins to Orton on the sidelines and you say, "Throw the !@#$ing ball to 14."

What do you do if he doesn't?

What do you do if he doesn't?

There is no chance he doesn't. But if he doesn't do it immediately the next game, you tell him at halftime if he doesn't do it he's going to the bench. And then he will do it. There is no chance he will call that bluff.

Besides, I guarantee you it is not Orton's idea to not throw the ball downfield. It is the coaches strategy to be conservative.

What's telling to me is the Bills targeted Watkins 123 times and completed 62, barely 50%. Beckham has been targeted 111x with 79 completions-well over 70%!

What is it telling you, exactly?

There is no chance he doesn't. But if he doesn't do it immediately the next game, you tell him at halftime if he doesn't do it he's going to the bench. And then he will do it. There is no chance he will call that bluff.

Besides, I guarantee you it is not Orton's idea to not throw the ball downfield. It is the coaches strategy to be conservative.

Really? You guarantee that Fred in the flat is the first read on a passing play?

Hackett outsmarts himself. He would rather run a WR screen to woods than Watkins, just to surprise the defense!

This (and I agree) makes me think that Hackett doesnt trust his guys to execute properly. Too much triple-reverse thinking in order to get some sort of mismatch. Whatever happened to just running the play and trusting the guys to execute properly?

Something other than slamming CJ up the middle (and the defense knowing he's going to bounce it outside) of course.

And if I'm onto anything, it further indicts the OC. Your job is not just to call plays. Your job is to make SURE the guys are ready to execute the plays.

A poster yesterday (GG maybe) said he was watching the Seahawks and Cardinals offenses, and described them as CRISP. There is nothing crisp-looking about the Bills' offense ever. ----> OC's fault and no one elses.

Edited by maddenboy

I have never been a Chandler fan. That said, he has come up with many big catches and how many TD's. I'm always surprised. Why do we not use him more? The "O" coordinator has to go. Spiller and Sammy out of the back field. Use them. One yard up the middle and a pile of dust. Time for a change.

Not just a game, but entire season. There's a pattern and it's not pretty.

Exactly. I'm sure that Orton, after throwing an early deep pass for a TD and one other deep pass to him when he was open for a TD and Orton missed him by five yards, was thinking to himself, "That bastard Watkins! I'll show him! I'm never going deep to him again!"

And the entire second half, just about every play Orton threw to Fred W/O going through reads. I watched it.

Which leads you to believe what, that Hackett was calling plays designed to go to Watkins or telling Orton to go to Watkins, or demanding that Orton was to throw to Watkins and Orton was just ignoring him and insisting that Fred was the only option?

Which leads you to believe what, that Hackett was calling plays designed to go to Watkins or telling Orton to go to Watkins, or demanding that Orton was to throw to Watkins and Orton was just ignoring him and insisting that Fred was the only option?

When he looks through his "I love Doug" prism thetas exactly what it looks like.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that Hackett and co. are so incompetent that the check down options are ALWAYS the first reads. That's not even high school offense, that's preschool.

Hackett calls the plays, and Orton executes. I'm no coach, but I don't think you scream at your QB and demand him to throw to one receiver. Orton has to be the one to see the WR to throw the ball. Demanding that he throws to Watkins is like demanding he throws the ball with his eyes closed.

My belief is that Orton has been beaten down and is playing scared. Maybe the coaches are telling him to err on the side of caution. But you can not tell me that the same coaches who dialed up a deep ball on 3rd and 5 to go for the throat against GB with a lead is ALSO begging for Orton to check down over and over. They are conflicting mentalities.