What exactly is intentional grounding?

Talley56

I know a lot of people are sick of hearing the ref bashing but that's not what I'm doing I am just baffled by this particular call. Earlier in the 3rd Qtr today Derek Carr launches a pass way out of bounds from inside the pocket facing pressure and the ball was no where near a receiver. I ask, how was this any different than the intentional grounding called on us against Miami that was ruled a safety? Not sure who all caught that from today's game as it sounded like nothing was really said about it but it left some people in our Bills bar questioning it. Anyone know why these were called differently? Again, not dwelling on the officiating, just confused by this one.

I know a lot of people are sick of hearing the ref bashing but that's not what I'm doing I am just baffled by this particular call. Earlier in the 3rd Qtr today Derek Carr launches a pass way out of bounds from inside the pocket facing pressure and the ball was no where near a receiver. I ask, how was this any different than the intentional grounding called on us against Miami that was ruled a safety? Not sure who all caught that from today's game as it sounded like nothing was really said about it but it left some people in our Bills bar questioning it. Anyone know why these were called differently? Again, not dwelling on the officiating, just confused by this one.

No one knows. It seems totally random and varies by the individual judgment of refs.

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? Why can a holder in college football take the snap with a knee on the ground and get up and run a fake FG?

Regarding the spike, I've wondered before if it could be considered intentional grounding depending on he formation. For example, if there's a tight end on the line or a running back in the backfield it's not IG because those players are considered eligible receivers in the area, but in a five wideout set could it be called IG?

Regarding the spike, I've wondered before if it could be considered intentional grounding depending on he formation. For example, if there's a tight end on the line or a running back in the backfield it's not IG because those players are considered eligible receivers in the area, but in a five wideout set could it be called IG?

The QB has to be under center for it not to be intentional grounding, it is also supposed to be immediatly spiked straight down, if these two items are met it is a clock stopping play, all others would be intentional grounding.

A lot of people, me included, thought that was grounding too. I was yelling at the television. Friggin refs didn't hear me.. I could see no reason why that shouldn't have been grounding. Marrone should have made a case. I don't know if he did or not.

If the QB is between the tackles and he is under pressure and throws an obvious uncatchable ball (not close to any receiver) then it should be grounding.