EZ Pass Cracking Down on Speeders

/dev/null

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no need to use EZ-Pass, I rarely if ever travel on toll roads.

Must be nice to live in the wilderness.

Can't get away from it here, especially when the commuters need to subsidize failed real estate development deals.

Getting into the People's Paradise of New York City is now $14 via the tunnels and bridges if you pay cash. With E-ZPass it's $11.75 during peak hours and $9.75 during off-peak hours (1:30 PM - 1:31 PM) :lol:

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is $15.00 cash and $10.66 with E-ZPass.

They don't publicize it, but you can sign up for car-pool EZ Pass, and as long as you have 3 in the car (including babies) Hudson River tolls are $5.

Downside is you have to use cash lanes.

I've gotten a toll booth speeding letter from EZ-Pass. It was a gate that had recently been changed to 20mph from 5mph, but I guess they hadn't changed their sensor yet, because according to the letter I was caught going 19mph. It was just a warning not to do it again or lose my pass. I've found over the years of having one, that in NY, keep it under 15 in the 5mph lanes, and under 30 in the 20mph lanes and you'll never hear anything.

Why don't they just have drive by tolling. That is, "fly by tolling." You keep going your normal speed and the cameras pick your tag up doing 55/65/70 mph or whatever the speed limit is. The cars that pay cash get hustled off to the sides. If you miss a toll because you don't have the transponder on, just pay it online in the next 24-48 hours. This really keeps traffic moving. They have it set up this way on the Illinois Tollway. You'd think it would be a "greener" BS way of doing things.

That's insane. It's amazing that you have to pay a toll to get in to SF but not leave. They were kicking the idea around of charging tolls to get into the city from up the peninsula. Great idea. :rolleyes:

It's the same with NYC. Pay to get in, free to leave.

If you use ez passa lot the will up what they hit you with. Been 15. Been 45. Drops down when you do not use it a lot

Time was I had three and my son used one. He's an electrician and was on jobs that had him going all over the state.

I had a few $50 charges in two or three days, he was on the Turnpike so much. :wallbash:

What are "toll" roads?

They're paved highways in the lower 48 that for the most part conform to the limits of the US government as described in the Constitution.

It's the same with NYC. Pay to get in, free to leave.

Time was I had three and my son used one. He's an electrician and was on jobs that had him going all over the state.

I had a few $50 charges in two or three days, he was on the Turnpike so much. :wallbash:

They're paved highways in the lower 48 that for the most part conform to the limits of the US government as described in the Constitution.

And ours are free of ice, snow and caribou.

Why don't they just have drive by tolling. That is, "fly by tolling." You keep going your normal speed and the cameras pick your tag up doing 55/65/70 mph or whatever the speed limit is. The cars that pay cash get hustled off to the sides. If you miss a toll because you don't have the transponder on, just pay it online in the next 24-48 hours. This really keeps traffic moving. They have it set up this way on the Illinois Tollway. You'd think it would be a "greener" BS way of doing things.

They do in lots of places. Doesn't really matter on the GW Bridge; 5 mph is pretty much the 'fly by' speed anyway.