Bills 2014 D Comparable with '99 and '04 Units

26CornerBlitz

Bills 2014 D Comparable with '99 and '04 Units

The 1999 and 2004 Bills squads come to mind when it comes to comparisons with the 2014 group.

defense-2014-story.jpg

Obviously the AFL championship defenses of 1964 and 1965 were among the better groups prior to the NFL merger. In the modern era however, the two Buffalo defensive units that come to mind are the 1999 and 2004 Bills squads when it comes to comparing with this year’s group.

I think this years defense is much better, and here is why.

Look back at the stats for those seasons and they ran the ball both years more then they passed it. Something that immensely helps the defense stay fresh, and on the sidelines. Wears out the opposing defense so its tougher to stop the run at the end of the game. Most importantly takes pressure off the QB, and keeps the opposing defense honest.

1999 513 vs 519

2004 461 vs 483

Now look at 2014, and pass happy Hackett, and his hurry up and punt offense. 507 vs 356. Its like the Bills don't even try and run. This keeps the defense on the field all game long. Schwartz is by far the best DC the Bills have ever had IMHO.

Look back at the stats for those seasons and they ran the ball both years more then they passed it. Something that immensely helps the defense stay fresh, and on the sidelines. Wears out the opposing defense so its tougher to stop the run at the end of the game. Most importantly takes pressure off the QB, and keeps the opposing defense honest.

1999 513 vs 519

2004 461 vs 483

Now look at 2014, and pass happy Hackett, and his hurry up and punt offense. 507 vs 356. Its like the Bills don't even try and run. This keeps the defense on the field all game long. Schwartz is by far the best DC the Bills have ever had IMHO.

The only way to assess is to look at it relationally. The 1999 defense was 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yards allowed. It was a better defense than this one, as much as I like this defense.

The only way to assess is to look at it relationally. The 1999 defense was 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yards allowed. It was a better defense than this one, as much as I like this defense.

if you're going to say that, you have to say the 1999 offense was better and held the ball longer and didn't screw the defense over as much, which helped those lofty stats. I think we are #1 in points per drive and turnovers, and 4th in yards against. Stat wise that is even considering the offenses. In 1999 we were 16 in points and 11 in yards. This year we are 18 in points and 23 in yards.

1999 513 vs 519

2004 461 vs 483

The game has changed. Everybody passes it more than they did in 1999. All you can do is compare them to the rest of the league at the time. The 2014 Bills defense is a top five defense in the NFL, probably 2nd or 3rd (there is no one in the league that would rather play against the Seahawks defense right now). The 1999 defense was the BEST in the NFL. So I would say that the 1999 defense was a better defense.

if you're going to say that, you have to say the 1999 offense was better and held the ball longer and didn't screw the defense over as much, which helped those lofty stats. I think we are #1 in points per drive and turnovers, and 4th in yards against. Stat wise that is even considering the offenses. In 1999 we were 16 in points and 11 in yards. This year we are 18 in points and 23 in yards.

I understand this argument but the bottom line is that I think we can all agree that the Bills defense is not as stifling as the Seahawks, whereas in 1999 the Bills were unarguably the best in the NFL. I don't know, if they shut down the Pats in Foxboro, maybe I could be swayed.

The game has changed. Everybody passes it more than they did in 1999. All you can do is compare them to the rest of the league at the time. The 2014 Bills defense is a top five defense in the NFL, probably 2nd or 3rd (there is no one in the league that would rather play against the Seahawks defense right now). The 1999 defense was the BEST in the NFL. So I would say that the 1999 defense was a better defense.

I understand this argument but the bottom line is that I think we can all agree that the Bills defense is not as stifling as the Seahawks, whereas in 1999 the Bills were unarguably the best in the NFL. I don't know, if they shut down the Pats in Foxboro, maybe I could be swayed.

Excellent point. If the bills d gets stomped for a second time by brady, then this d does not compare with 1999.