Can we hold onto Schwartz for next year?

LA Grant

With all of the national attention on the defense and Jim Schwartz in particular, and given the usual carousel of HC vacancies each year, is anyone else concerned that we may be looking at having our 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years?

It's absolutely imperative that we resign Hughes in the offseason but I think just as important is giving Schwartz whatever money he wants to keep him around for another year or two at the coordinator level.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Jets - would be a train wreck in NYC

New York Giants - see above

Miami - if they collapse again this job may open up but Harbaugh would be their top candidate

San Francisco - they want calm and cool. That was not Schwartz in Detroit. They will get Shanahan's or Schottenhiemier's kid.

Chicago - desperate to rebuild defense and he knows the division - this is the spot to worry about

Carolina - they will go Offensive minded coach

Atlanta - another place to worry about as their defense has been a mess for 5 years

Tenn - Whisenhunt will stay

Oakland - again Harbaugh is the front runner and they probably also go offensive minded guy to develop Carr

Did I miss anyone? Bills if Marrone craps the bed against Oakland???

Best hope is Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn and a recycled Rex Ryan get the jobs over Schwartz.

Miami - if they collapse again this job may open up but Harbaugh would be their top candidate

San Francisco - they want calm and cool. That was not Schwartz in Detroit. They will get Shanahan's or Schottenhiemier's kid.

Chicago - desperate to rebuild defense and he knows the division - this is the spot to worry about

Atlanta - another place to worry about as their defense has been a mess for 5 years

Oakland - again Harbaugh is the front runner and they probably also go offensive minded guy to develop Carr

Best hope is Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn and a recycled Rex Ryan get the jobs over Schwartz.

Jets will get on Offensive coach.

Giants - Coughlin will get another shot

Oakland - Harbaugh as he likes the WC

Miami - May be harbaugh; or they go after the OC @ Denver

If Schwartz is smart, he'll continue to build equity by staying another year with this defense. It's easy money compared to these HC jobs that will be open.

Why does that make him smart? If the dude has aspirations of leading a team to a Superbowl victory as a head coach or making the hall of fame as a head coach, then why would it be a smart move to turn down a chance to make his dreams come true? That is not what ambitious winners do. They take the opportunity and try to make the most of it.

If he is offered the right opportunity to head coach another NFL team, you can bet he is gone.

I see Rivera surviving Carolina as he'll live on the previous year at 12 wins. They had injury problems and GM not providing upgraded talent. I see Schwartz staying because look at Detroit. It was an underperforming team, and now in one year, they are talking about a possible 1-2 seed. Owners will be leary to give Schwartz a head coaching job so quickly. Possibly after next year if Whaley keeps the talent, and the defense is in the top 5 again.

What I don't like from this big win is Hackett survives if we finish 9-7. I see Marrone staying for another year no matter what unless the rumors are true about a rift between him and Whaley or Brandon. If Marrone were fired, I could see Schwartz getting promoted to HC. Not sure what to feel about that one, but he does inspire his defense. I was just listening to NFL Radio, and David Diel who called the game, was talking about the peer leadership on the defense, and how impressive he saw this team play last week. He was giving a lot of credit to Schwartz, and Marrone. Also, Bob Papa has really been a Bills cheerleader lately. It's been nice to hear in the morning.

Ross Tucker brought up a good point though this morning that no matter how well NE is seeded in week 17, the Patriots almost never overlook anyone, so don't think this game will be easier for us to win (even if the Patriots go into the game 12-3 with a win over the Jets).

I think he isn't far enough removed from his hc job in Detroit and walked into a talented defensive roster. There are other more attractive hc options out there. I don't see how his status changes as of now, it was well known he was a good defensive coordinator before he came here. So the logic is he was a good defensive coordinator the was an average head coach- he was a good defensive coordinator - so now he will be a head coach? Just seem as much of an attraction but that's how it works, like tom bradys offensive coaches always getting hired, well no **** he had a good offense while in new england

Why does that make him smart? If the dude has aspirations of leading a team to a Superbowl victory as a head coach or making the hall of fame as a head coach, then why would it be a smart move to turn down a chance to make his dreams come true? That is not what ambitious winners do. They take the opportunity and try to make the most of it.

If he is offered the right opportunity to head coach another NFL team, you can bet he is gone.

I dream of sleeping with super models, but if they all have warts is it really worth it? None of the teams out there should attract him if he really has dreams of winning the Super Bowl anytime soon.

Edited by stony

With all of the national attention on the defense and Jim Schwartz in particular, and given the usual carousel of HC vacancies each year, is anyone else concerned that we may be looking at having our 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years?

It's absolutely imperative that we resign Hughes in the offseason but I think just as important is giving Schwartz whatever money he wants to keep him around for another year or two at the coordinator level.

No one thought pettine would go. If Tressman goes I could see the Bears or any other NFc north team saying they want more of what he did to that division this year.

I dream of sleeping with super models, but if they all have warts is it really worth it?

You mean genital warts? Cuz, I don't think supermodels would be supermodels if they had any on their faces or other noticeable places.

If I get a chance to get with Marisa Miller, I'm not throwing her out of bed just because she has a booger hanging out her nose. I just roll her over and stuff her head in a pillow to get it to wipe off. You know what I mean?

Edited by PolishDave

You mean genital warts? Cuz, I don't think supermodels would be supermodels if they had any on their faces or other noticeable places.

If I get a chance to get with Marisa Miller, I'm not throwing her out of bed just because she has a booger hanging out her nose. I just roll her over and stuff her head in a pillow to get it to wipe off. You know what I mean?

Oh yeah.

And boogers are totally fair play.

Edited by stony

Something else to think about...

After losing Petting after just one season like we did, don't you think that Marrone would have got Schwartz to give some kind of guarantee that he would stick around for at least 2 or 3 years if asked to? If Schwartz was gone after one year, I would consider that a bad oversight by Marrone for at least not getting a handshake promise that he would stick if this team showed it is on the rise.

To date Schwartz has only proven to be a good defensive coordinator and a bad head coach.

He was fired from Detroit, because they were not good under his reign, and look where Detroit has gone with essentially the same talent. That certainly has to be a huge knock against him if his name comes up in head coaching discussions.

And as somebody has already alluded to, he was brought in here to an already very talented bunch. To his credit he has made this unit better but I still don't think it out trumps his failures as Detroits head coach. In time maybe another HC is in his future but not right now.

I could see Henderson or Johnson being pillaged before Schwartz leaving.

Edited by old school

Something else to think about...

After losing Petting after just one season like we did, don't you think that Marrone would have got Schwartz to give some kind of guarantee that he would stick around for at least 2 or 3 years if asked to? If Schwartz was gone after one year, I would consider that a bad oversight by Marrone for at least not getting a handshake promise that he would stick if this team showed it is on the rise.

There is no telling what will happen and why. All we have to do is look at the "wide-9" hysteria that surrounded the Schwartz hire and the fear that it would be Wanny part 2. People's perceptions are far more an artifact of collective sub-cosciousness than the alleged conscious knowledge of individuals. :beer: