Would you trade our 2016 1st rd pick for Drew Brees?

Tipster19

in a heartbeat youd trade a late 20s pick that is a 4 year contract with a question mark for a guy thats a pretty good slam dunk to play very well at the most important position for 3 years.

the problem is the saints would have no reason to do it.

Unless you have questions about Brees's ability to perform at the same level playing in Buffalo, with this coaching staff/offense. Which I do. If we got the same exact production out of the offense, as the Saints have gotten during the Brees years, then hell yeah I'd do it.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have lots of reasons to do it.

1) According to sources within NO, he is showing signs of aging with decreased arm strength, etc. and that they believe he has cost them a couple games this year with timely interceptions. In other words, they believe he is on the decline.

2) NO is believed to be aiming to go after a QB in the draft early on.

3) They are significantly over the cap and keeping Brees is a big reason for that.

4) They may make the calculation that NO doesn't have a realistic opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years and just decide to rebuild.

It's ok if you don't believe that they won't trade him but to say that NO reason has No reason to do so is inaccurate.

well, i think your "sources within NO" are not on the mark. I do believe they will draft their mallet/osweiler/mid rounder as most good teams do. i do not think anyone in the organization has lost faith in him or his abilities though. i also dont think you see them pass out deals to drew, jimmy, gallette, jordan, byrd, etc... and then say ahhhhh screw it, lets blow it up. coach and qb will ride this out for 3 more years and let someone else rebuild.

They have lots of reasons to do it.

1) According to sources within NO, he is showing signs of aging with decreased arm strength, etc. and that they believe he has cost them a couple games this year with timely interceptions. In other words, they believe he is on the decline.

2) NO is believed to be aiming to go after a QB in the draft early on.

3) They are significantly over the cap and keeping Brees is a big reason for that.

4) They may make the calculation that NO doesn't have a realistic opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years and just decide to rebuild.

It's ok if you don't believe that they won't trade him but to say that NO reason has No reason to do so is inaccurate.

I guess the point is that those sources that he is declining or they are looking for the next guy have been laughed off in New Orleans. That's not really the case. They want a young guy for whenever life after Brees comes (3-4 years down the road much like Garoppolo). The cap situation has been overblown because they know EXACTLY what they are going to do and it doesn't involve Brees.

I would love someone to go over to Saints report and start a thread asking about this topic. There are some Saints fans that are a little bitter that if we would have taken a more Tim Duncan approach than a Kobe approach they would be in better shape. For the most part though they would start replying with stuff like Mario Williams for Corey White.

Unless you have questions about Brees's ability to perform at the same level playing in Buffalo, with this coaching staff/offense. Which I do. If we got the same exact production out of the offense, as the Saints have gotten during the Brees years, then hell yeah I'd do it.

i dont think wed get the exact same production but it could fall off a good chunk and still be immensely more valuable than the pick.

bills are a 14-2 team with a Franchise QB (top 10).

brees is probably Top 5.

his contract is $26 & $27 for the next two years.

what mario did for our defense, a franchise QB will do for our offense.

this is a NO BRAINER....you do it in a heartbeat.

well, i think your "sources within NO" are not on the mark. I do believe they will draft their mallet/osweiler/mid rounder as most good teams do. i do not think anyone in the organization has lost faith in him or his abilities though. i also dont think you see them pass out deals to drew, jimmy, gallette, jordan, byrd, etc... and then say ahhhhh screw it, lets blow it up. coach and qb will ride this out for 3 more years and let someone else rebuild.

"They believe they can see the finish line here," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Gameday Morning. "My expectation from talking to several sources involved in the situation is that theSaints will draft a quarterback highly this year.

"In fact, they wish they had done this in previous years, mainly because, as you mentioned, Drew Brees is 35 years old, he's not as big as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and they've seen some arm strength issues that have cropped up in the last several games, throwing crucial interceptions -- the kind which we never see fromDrew Brees. They're starting to wonder what is next at this position."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000436091/article/saints-plan-to-draft-a-quarterback-high-in-2015

It's not my sources, dude. But thanks for playing

I guess the point is that those sources that he is declining or they are looking for the next guy have been laughed off in New Orleans. That's not really the case. They want a young guy for whenever life after Brees comes (3-4 years down the road much like Garoppolo). The cap situation has been overblown because they know EXACTLY what they are going to do and it doesn't involve Brees.

I would love someone to go over to Saints report and start a thread asking about this topic. There are some Saints fans that are a little bitter that if we would have taken a more Tim Duncan approach than a Kobe approach they would be in better shape. For the most part though they would start replying with stuff like Mario Williams for Corey White.

Maybe, but that runs contradictory to what some others are saying. I'm not saying what you believe is wrong, just that you may be.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000436091/article/saints-plan-to-draft-a-quarterback-high-in-2015

Maybe, but that runs contradictory to what some others are saying. I'm not saying what you believe is wrong, just that you may be.

Rappaport's report has been disputed (or cleared up). The Saints do want a young guy to groom (not to mention that Luke McCown is their backup). Their issues this year though have been in the secondary and with tackling primarily. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Rappaport's report has been disputed (or cleared up). The Saints do want a young guy to groom (not to mention that Luke McCown is their backup). Their issues this year though have been in the secondary and with tackling primarily.

I'm shocked that Brees would clear that up for us. In any case, we'll see. But in my view, the Saints would be crazy to not at least entertain trade offers.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ck-high-in-2015

Not sure exactly where the disconnect is, but the link you posted pretty much confirms exactly what Kirby and NoSaint are saying. Brees is going nowhere, but the Saints *are* likely to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Garoppolo, Osweiler, Mallett, Todd Collins, etc.

My personal "inside source" (i.e., a Saints fan) would be pretty alarmed/disgusted by the thought of the Saints trading Brees this offseason.

Not sure exactly where the disconnect is, but the link you posted pretty much confirms exactly what Kirby and NoSaint are saying. Brees is going nowhere, but the Saints *are* likely to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Garoppolo, Osweiler, Mallett, Todd Collins, etc.

My personal "inside source" (i.e., a Saints fan) would be pretty alarmed/disgusted by the thought of the Saints trading Brees this offseason.

It's kinda funny how people read and then interpret things how they wish to see things. The disconnect, dude, is that he said it was my source, when in fact it wasn't. Got it?

I've got an idea, how about you re read my response and then check back in with me. Oh, and Rapaport's comments don't back up what you believe it does.

Not referring to Brees, referring to people within the Saints organization.

You mean to tell me that leadership would dispute such a damning comment that denegrates their HOF QB that allegedly came from the organization?

You don't say?

Edited by Magox

That's fine. Your sources are in dispute with Ian Rapaport's sources.

Yes, that is what I am saying. The people that I know in the FO basically said "that's BS." They do want a young guy for sure. They DO NOT plan on Brees going anywhere for a few years. He has said something to the tune of wanting to play until he's 45 (obviously that's not likely). He will be the starting QB for the Saints for at least the next 3-4 seasons.

Yes, that is what I am saying. The people that I know in the FO basically said "that's BS." They do want a young guy for sure. They DO NOT plan on Brees going anywhere for a few years. He has said something to the tune of wanting to play until he's 45 (obviously that's not likely). He will be the starting QB for the Saints for at least the next 3-4 seasons.

Ok, we get it, your sources dispute what Rapaport's are saying.

Case closed.

Edited by Magox

Rappaport never said that they planned on replacing him. They said that they planned to add a good young prospect.

rappaport seemed to want to frame it controversially..... but i suppose only one of the two of you is paid on page clicks.

this is also right around the same time that SP called out reporters for using sources that werent even with the team any longer.