Battle of the Bulge - 70th Anniversary

/dev/null

Patton's finest moment - turning the axis of advance of the Third Army ninety degrees in 72 hours to counter-attack and relieve Bastogne.

In truth, it was more like ten days - he knew First Army on his left flak was weak, and had his staff develop contingency plans for the counterattack. Still a hell of a performance.

Patton's finest moment - turning the axis of advance of the Third Army ninety degrees in 72 hours to counter-attack and relieve Bastogne.

In truth, it was more like ten days - he knew First Army on his left flak was weak, and had his staff develop contingency plans for the counterattack. Still a hell of a performance.

What's your favorite book on this battle? I'm home for the holidays and hunting for reading material. Thanks in advance!

What's your favorite book on this battle? I'm home for the holidays and hunting for reading material. Thanks in advance!

Depends on what you're looking for. I generally hate Toland, but his book on the Ardennes is actually a good general history. MacDonald's "A Time For Trumpets" is good as well. Most everything else I've read can be summarized as "insane level of detail only I would be interested in." (For example, do NOT read "To Win The Winter Sky." It would bore a normal person to tears.)

One of the problems with the literature on the Bulge is that it's SO widely written about that there's a good amount of crap available as well (yes, Stephen Ambrose, I'm looking at you, ya hack). Fortunately, my conscious mind seems to have blocked out all the crap I've read.

Depends on what you're looking for. I generally hate Toland, but his book on the Ardennes is actually a good general history. MacDonald's "A Time For Trumpets" is good as well. Most everything else I've read can be summarized as "insane level of detail only I would be interested in." (For example, do NOT read "To Win The Winter Sky." It would bore a normal person to tears.)

One of the problems with the literature on the Bulge is that it's SO widely written about that there's a good amount of crap available as well (yes, Stephen Ambrose, I'm looking at you, ya hack). Fortunately, my conscious mind seems to have blocked out all the crap I've read.

Cheers. I devour WWII books (bios, histories, tactics etc) so I've read a bunch on it but know you're a bigger history buff than me when it comes to the military and was looking for a gem I might have overlooked. I just read Time for Trumpets last year actually, loved it. I don't love Toland either but did find "The Rising Sun" worthwhile though I hated "Infamy". I like Ambrose more than you (just because I'm a storyteller so I'm a pushover for his style even if it lacks the substance -- or accuracy) but get where you're coming from.