A Wiff of Trouble

Smelling salts. That's been around a long time.

Smelling salts have been around for a long time to WAKE somebody up. I have never heard of wide awake players using them before going into a game, have you? and if so how long has this been going on and what is the liquid in the bottle??

Smelling salts. That's been around a long time.

Smelling salts have been around for a long time to WAKE somebody up. I have never heard of wide awake players using them before going into a game, have you? and if so how long has this been going on and what is the liquid in the bottle??

227366[/snapback]

It's pretty common, even at the HS level. I've played with people in college that do it.

No-Doze, cafeene (can't spell) pills, smelling salts, snorting ridalin...you name it and football players use it to get jacked up before the game even between series.

Smelling salts have been around for a long time to WAKE somebody up. I have never heard of wide awake players using them before going into a game, have you?

Watch Takeo coming out of the tunnel sometime.

He takes a big blast of the salts before every game.

Shlt makes him crazy..... :doh:

I love the "spokesperson" for the manufacturer, "surprised" that the NFL players use them that way, as they are to be used "sparingly." Well, if teams are using them "sparingly," why are they ordering them by the thousands? :doh:

It's pretty common, even at the HS level. I've played with people in college that do it.

No-Doze, cafeene (can't spell) pills, smelling salts, snorting ridalin...you name it and football players use it to get jacked up before the game even between series.

227378[/snapback]

no wonder half these guys are dead by the time they turn 60.

no wonder half these guys are dead by the time they turn 60.

227404[/snapback]

One of my teammates snorted a truckload of ridalin before a game. On the openning kickoff he knocked the KICKER out of the game (and out for the rest of the season with a broken jaw).

He was thrown out of the game and he sat on the bench rocking back and forth like a heroin junkie.

(To be fair, his assignment was to block the kicker. The kicker for this team was their leading tackler on STs because he was so friggin fast. So it wasn't a total cheap shot, but the guy never saw it coming).

227378[/snapback]

It's ritalin, not ridalin. It's a Schedule II controlled substance, functionally similar in effect to amphetamines...

That parents and school systems allow it to be prescribed to children is wrong, in most cases.

"Ammonia is a strong irritant to the mucous membranes," said Jay Schauben, a physician and director of the Florida Poison Information Center at Shands Jacksonville hospital. "These players may get an adrenaline rush, but this is not a healthy thing they are doing."

Gotta love how football players keep finding ways to get a high at the expense of their bodies

It is legal? What is wrong with that?

I think some of the Red Sox players admitted to doing a shot of "Jack" before games as a "tradition" when they started to come back against the Yankees.

I suppose that gave Milar, Damon, and some other guys a lift?

I don't think it is a big deal if it is legal? Can't anything be considered performance enhancing?

???

It's ritalin, not ridalin.  It's a Schedule II controlled substance, functionally similar in effect to amphetamines...

That parents and school systems allow it to be prescribed to children is wrong, in most cases.

227501[/snapback]

Now there are non-stimulant alternatives to treat ADD and ADHD. Back when our son was in second grade and testing as if he hadn't learned a thing since he had started first grade, there weren't many alternatives. He took it for about 9 years. When he came from school he took a small dose mostly to allow it to ddisappear from his system more gradually. In the evening when he did homework in elementary school I had to stand behind him to keep him on task. I would literally point at the next math problem on the page and say, "OK now we need to do this one." Without it he would have dropped out of school and ended up in jail or dead of suicide. When he told us he wanted to quit it he still had a couple years of school left, but we thought maybe he could handle it. He will never be the student his younger sister is, but ritalin was a Godsend for him.

When I was younger I was skiing at Stowe, my sister had a camcorder and there was this huge ass jump. I had her film me while I hit the jump fast and did a trick. Well I got more air then I imagined, could not land and hit a fence on the side of a cliff very hard. Knocked myself out. Anyways the first thing I remember is being awakened to the smell of ammonia. The ski patrol snapped a cap. That sh-- woke me up. Anyways they insisted I got in the sled. I refused, skied down on a hurt leg. Anyways that was day 2 of a 5 day pass. My leg was fugged up- I could not ski the rest of the week :(

When I was younger I was skiing at Stowe, my sister had a camcorder and there was this huge ass jump.  I had her film me while I hit the jump fast and did a trick.  Well I got more air then I imagined, could not land and hit a fence on the side of a cliff very hard.  Knocked myself out.  Anyways the first thing I remember is being awakened to the smell of ammonia.  The ski patrol snapped a cap.  That sh-- woke me up.  Anyways they insisted I got in the sled.  I refused, skied down on a hurt leg.  Anyways that was day 2 of a 5 day pass.  My leg was fugged up- I could not ski the rest of the week :(

227882[/snapback]

That begs the question to be asked:

POST THE TAPE!

:(