School Massacre in Pakistan

/dev/null

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think calling people like this “cowards” does not capture the situation accurately. I wish they were merely cowards. Cowards tend to stay home instead of following through on sinister plans. These men are more accurately described as aggressively evil, fanatically enraged, insane, dangerous !@#$ing monsters.

****...those are the kind of comments that got Bill Maher fired from ABC in 2001...

I'm amazed that this thread has lasted on OTW as long as it has, rather than being moved to PPP.

What exactly does the " :ph34r: " emoticon mean? I got the feeling that dev/null was trying to make some sort of commentary with that, beyond just the actual story, which I think everyone agrees, is pretty tragic, and sad.

****...those are the kind of comments that got Bill Maher fired from ABC in 2001...

What exactly does the " :ph34r: " emoticon mean? I got the feeling that dev/null was trying to make some sort of commentary with that, beyond just the actual story, which I think everyone agrees, is pretty tragic, and sad.

It means fear/scared. And I put it in because it's scary to think somebody was capable of doing something like this

It means fear/scared. And I put it in because it's scary to think somebody was capable of doing something like this

Got it...you are right...scary times we live in.

What got Maher fired was when his guest called lobbing tomahawk missiles from miles away as cowardly (as in US forces) -- and Maher agreeing.

Yeah, but his point was that you can call the scum that the flew into the WTC a lot of things, but "cowards" wasn't one of them. Edited by Buftex

Just Remember. You can't torture them. Our CIA is evil personified for trying to extract info to try to stop shite like this.

Come on dudes, there is a debate on that where that debate belongs. Join it if you'd like. It is up to you but IMO leaving this thread clean of the inevitable back and forth once we start on this road is best. It leaves the focus, at least in one thread, on the victims of this.

Depends. Who "here" think they have it bad? Pedophilia is part of the culture there. I supposed abused children here have it equally as bad in both places. I think most realize how "good" they have it "here." But what does that have to do with anything? Is that suppose to get people to stop striving for better?

What a sad tragedy... May my heartfelt prayers go out to all.

When you're looking at what is wrong do not look at another wrong to justify a right. Two wrongs don't make a right. They can't be compared. What is bad there is bad here and what is bad here is bad there.

The religion of peace...not even peaceful to its own.

This is not about religion. These guys are lunatics regardless. Religion has nothing to do with them being lunatics. It just so happens that they are religious. All religions and throughout history man has bloodied his hands for his God and religious principles, money, women, men, etc.

We can't torture them because we're better than them. Or we're supposed to be. Sacrificing our ideals and principles for pure bloodlust or revenge makes us as bad as them.

We are lucky to be born and to be born Americans (or a silly Canadian). We are lucky to have the ability to speak freely and condemn or support anything. We can even remain silent. To think we are supposed to be better then anyone is painfully foolish. We are supposed to be but how can we be in a world we do not know? There are events in this country that are no different then what is occurring in third world nations. We are not better then others simply because we do not have rampant religious attacks, for example.

We are lucky to be born and to be born Americans (or a silly Canadian). We are lucky to have the ability to speak freely and condemn or support anything. We can even remain silent. To think we are supposed to be better then anyone is painfully foolish. We are supposed to be but how can we be in a world we do not know? There are events in this country that are no different then what is occurring in third world nations. We are not better then others simply because we do not have rampant religious attacks, for example.

Missing my point completely, but I understand the point you're making.

Missing my point completely, but I understand the point you're making.

If you're saying we are portraying a white knight in our actions then I understand your point. But, we are only fooling ourselves with that. I do not think anyone else in the world really thinks we're doing what we are doing overseas with a veil of white.

If you're saying we are portraying a white knight in our actions then I understand your point. But, we are only fooling ourselves with that. I do not think anyone else in the world really thinks we're doing what we are doing overseas with a veil of white.

That wasn't what I was trying to say. My comments were more about what it means to be free in the American sense of the word. The concept has certainly changed in the past decade because of a faulty mindset that the only way to fight evil is to sink to its level.

And this attack was most certainly evil incarnate.

Remember we should be....

"showing respect, even for one’s enemies, trying to understand and insofar as psychologically possible empathize with their perspective and point of view"

Yes, we should. "If you know yourself and know your opponent, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not your opponent, for every victory you will suffer a defeat."

Respecting, understanding, and empathizing with your enemies and their point of view makes it easier to kill them. The Taleban understands that, obviously.

That wasn't what I was trying to say. My comments were more about what it means to be free in the American sense of the word. The concept has certainly changed in the past decade because of a faulty mindset that the only way to fight evil is to sink to its level.

And this attack was most certainly evil incarnate.

You're probably right in theory but realistically...

well you know...