NFL defenses adjusting to rules favoring pass offense....with talent

BADOLBILZ

The league emphasis on promoting pass offense makes it really difficult to put up those kind of stifling yardage-allowed performances that were once seen from top defenses...........but man there has probably never been more talented pass rushers and DB's in the NFL than today.

First, there was a rare influx of incredibly athletic and yet full-size DT's in recent years and they have helped keep passing games from running absolutely wild by pressuring offenses up the middle considerably more than was once normal.

I also think we are starting to see an unplanned result of de-emphasizing the value of running game......athletes who once would have played in the offensive backfield are now taking their premium athletic skills to the edge positions on defense and turning into pass rushers and cover men.

The 6'+ corners just didn't start getting born.

I like the way it's working out. I always felt too much explosive talent was wasted in reserve at the RB position. And in truth there is still enough to go around.

It's a cat and mouse, round and round cycle. The NFL wants more scoring and they get it through making it easier to pass due to rules changes. Defenses change in response.

Where I believe there is an ongoing issue is the fact that fewer and fewer guys at QB seem to be able to make the transition to the pro game. Think about the claims that the upcoming draft features no elite QB talent and may not have much NFL level QB talent.

To me this just seems crazy as it eventually seriously wounds the NFL game. What do the teams with a second or third tier QB do? Go fifteen years out of the playoffs?

It's a cat and mouse, round and round cycle. The NFL wants more scoring and they get it through making it easier to pass due to rules changes. Defenses change in response.

Where I believe there is an ongoing issue is the fact that fewer and fewer guys at QB seem to be able to make the transition to the pro game. Think about the claims that the upcoming draft features no elite QB talent and may not have much NFL level QB talent.

To me this just seems crazy as it eventually seriously wounds the NFL game. What do the teams with a second or third tier QB do? Go fifteen years out of the playoffs?

I think the next round of rules will start to favor QBs and offensive lineman. Pass rushers will have to count to five mississippis before they can cross the line of scrimmage. Seriously, I think we'll be seeing rules related to defensive linemen and what they can do pre-snap crop in the next few years. We may also start to see limits on what they can do with their hands like there are on offensive linemen.

I think the next round of rules will start to favor QBs and offensive lineman. Pass rushers will have to count to five mississippis before they can cross the line of scrimmage. Seriously, I think we'll be seeing rules related to defensive linemen and what they can do pre-snap crop in the next few years. We may also start to see limits on what they can do with their hands like there are on offensive linemen.

That would be something. No pre-snap motion from the defense unless the offense is in motion. What a scoring machine the NFL would become if that were the case.

That would be something. No pre-snap motion from the defense unless the offense is in motion. What a scoring machine the NFL would become if that were the case.

Yay, so more casual fans with 5 second attention spans will buy some jerseys and tune in periodically when they don't have something else to do...

The QB shortage is nothing new, but it is being exacerbated by poor offensive coaching, IMO.

It's been mentioned many times but the approach that Chip Kelly is using in Philadelphia keeps defenses backpedaling all day without requiring a great deal from the QB position.

Marrone and Hackett seemed to realize this coming into the job last year and the up-tempo attack really covered up big time for essentially 3 rookie QB's........but it was shelved in favor of trying to squeek out just enough victories and save their jobs this season.