Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's off the charts," Spikes said of the job Schwartz did with the Bills' defense. "He really came in and changed the mentality around here."

Nice quote, but what did Spikes know of the 'mentality' before this year? :bag:

On the other hand, Kyle Williams thoughts are very telling...

It's just funny that the QB retires, and the HC tries to text the owner then calls Russ Brandon (the supposed business only guy) to tell the GM that the QB retired.

One might wonder why the two men sitting next to each other at the table don't have an open line of communication for issues like the starting QB deciding to retire.

Put that with all the rumors of dysfunction in training camp.

It's just funny that the QB retires, and the HC tries to text the owner then calls Russ Brandon (the supposed business only guy) to tell the GM that the QB retired.

One might wonder why the two men sitting next to each other at the table don't have an open line of communication for issues like the starting QB deciding to retire.

Put that with all the rumors of dysfunction in training camp.

Marrone did not like Whaley. He wanted control over the roster like Bellichick and Pete Carroll have. That was their problem. So Marrone showed his displeasure by asking Brandon to tell Whaley and Marrone went behind his back.

Marrone did not like Whaley. He wanted control over the roster like Bellichick and Pete Carroll have. That was their problem. So Marrone showed his displeasure by asking Brandon to tell Whaley and Marrone went behind his back.

Next time one of your people leaves, you might want to call the VP in a different division before your own boss. B-)

Just shows what an arrogant and oblivious jerk Marrone is, IMO

The guy has a 15-17 pro record and was .500 in college at a 2nd tier program.

Yet he carries himself like he is Lombardi and has real accomplishments. He is a legend in his own mind.

Next time one of your people leaves, you might want to call the VP in a different division before your own boss. B-)

Whaley wasn't his boss. Marrone reported directly to ownership. For most of the time he was here ownership=Russ (his biggest fan)

Thus he could trash Whaley and act like a total scumbag with little fear of retribution.

It's possible that one of the reasons Pegula didn't give into Marrone's demands was knowing that Marrone went behind Whaley's back and right to the boss. ;)

The guy has a 15-17 pro record and was .500 in college at a 2nd tier program.

Yet he carries himself like he is Lombardi and has real accomplishments. He is a legend in his own mind.

Whaley wasn't his boss. Marrone reported directly to ownership. For most of the time he was here ownership=Russ (his biggest fan)

Thus he could trash Whaley and act like a total scumbag with little fear of retribution.

The structure, again, of any football team unless otherwise indicated by a powerful HC, is GMs hire and fire head coaches. That is one of the two main jobs of a GM. Whaley was definitely Marrone's boss.

It's possible that one of the reasons Pegula didn't give into Marrone's demands was knowing that Marrone went behind Whaley's back and right to the boss. ;)

The structure, again, of any football team unless otherwise indicated by a powerful HC, is GMs hire and fire head coaches. That is one of the two main jobs of a GM. Whaley was definitely Marrone's boss.

I am pretty confident that Marrone reported directly to ownership. Part of his demands originally.

This isn't internally consistent. If Marrone reports to ownership, his boss is Pegula. Why call him second? Also, how would you be a "scumbag" for not calling someone who has no authority?

I am pretty confident that Marrone reported directly to ownership. Part of his demands originally.

Buddy Nix the GM hired Marrone. Brandon was completely on board. Marrone had zero control over the roster. It's possible that Marrone knew that he wasn't the first choice of Whaley and that is why Marrone hated him. I heard awhile ago that Marrone "wanted to buy the groceries and do the cooking too" - the Parcells model. I very much doubt that in his contract, Marrone could not be fired by the GM. First time coaches don't get that.

You have to think TP loved this...

That should have been enough to seal Marrone's fate right there

I heard awhile ago that Marrone "wanted to buy the groceries and do the cooking too" - the Parcells model.

That rarely works, there is no way one person can spread themselves that thin. That being said it is hard to find a good talent evaluator who would works as a Modkins style of GM...

That rarely works, there is no way one person can spread themselves that thin. That being said it is hard to find a good talent evaluator who would works as a Modkins style of GM...

It worked with Carrol. And Bill Belichick.

Bellichick does it. Pete Carroll does it, although he has a partner. I think Andy Reid to some degree does it. Those are the only ones I can think of. Several, like Holmgren, have tried it but failed.

He is a legend in his own mind.

First reports out yesterday had to do with relieved people in the organization who were glad he was gone...

Not a legend..It is obvious he is a Saint

It worked with Carrol. And Bill Belichick.

Billy's drafts have sucked for some time as of late. As of right now it is working for Carrol....

Bellichick does it. Pete Carroll does it, although he has a partner. I think Andy Reid to some degree does it. Those are the only ones I can think of. Several, like Holmgren, have tried it but failed.

Marrone does not even have close to the pedigree of a Belichick or the college success of Carrol - how he can even have that type of bravado is astounding really...

First reports out yesterday had to do with relieved people in the organization who were glad he was gone...

Not a legend..It is obvious he is a Saint

Billy's drafts have sucked for some time as of late. As of right now it is working for Carrol....

Marrone does not even have close to the pedigree of a Belichick or the college success of Carrol - how he can even have that type of bravado is astounding really...

It really is, but is the sign of a guy who is extremely arrogant.

I was a little late to jump on that assessment, but after several instances and several rumors began to show a pattern, that is the conclusion I came to a couple months ago. Nothing that has happened has changed that perception, and numerous more real actions and reports have strengthened it considerably.

It really is, but is the sign of a guy who is extremely arrogant.

I was a little late to jump on that assessment, but after several instances and several rumors began to show a pattern, that is the conclusion I came to a couple months ago. Nothing that has happened has changed that perception, and numerous more real actions and reports have strengthened it considerably.

To be fair, all great sports figures are arrogant. Maybe not blindly arrogant, but they're close. It's why most figures flame out spectacularly because their arrogance doesn't coincide with success.