Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

Yea, i think the Pegula's are waiting to see how the season plays out, and should the Bills win the next two games its a no brainer that everyone stays.

I think the Bills beating Brady, Belichick in New England would unsure the entire coaching staff stays intact. Russ Brandon still wields an extraordinary amount of power in the org considering his current job, JMHO.

A 9-7 season and things might not be so rosy, as at that point the Pegula's may or may not choose to bring in a consultant. This question is perhaps the make or break from Brandon

The Bills would be a laughing stock if they fired a coach who took them to 9-7.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's true that the Bills have improved and are guaranteed to not have a losing season for the first time in a decade.

It's also possible (true, in my opinion) that they are doing this in spite of the head coach.

Any success this season is because of the defense - the side of the ball he is hands-off. So if you want to thank/praise anyone for that warm feeling you're having right now, save it for Schwartz and his defensive staff.

With a competent coach or a competent QB (just one of those...don't even need both) this team would easily be in the playoffs.

Doug Whaley and the DCs have changed the culture. Does anyone really believe the Bills are 8-6 because of Marrone's amazing coaching? Would there be any difference if Gus Bradley was the coach? Or any other below average coach?

Our offense is brutal. We are loaded with talent and our defense wins us games. We benched a 2nd year QB for a 9 year veteran, who has a lower QBR than EJ did as a rookie? How is that good coaching?

Marrone has brought toughness I guess. But is he the main reason why Mario, Kyle, Dareus, or Jerry (our MVPs) are tough?

The Bills are a laughing stock for missing the playoffs for 15 straight years.

I know. Our expectations are so low. We have an offense (Marrone's speciality), that struggles to score 1 td a game. But let's have a parade for a guy who might win 2 more games than Jauron with a loaded roster.

Yes it's true that the Bills have improved and are guaranteed to not have a losing season for the first time in a decade.

It's also possible (true, in my opinion) that they are doing this in spite of the head coach.

Any success this season is because of the defense - the side of the ball he is hands-off. So if you want to thank/praise anyone for that warm feeling you're having right now, save it for Schwartz and his defensive staff.

With a competent coach or a competent QB (just one of those...don't even need both) this team would easily be in the playoffs.

Come on! This is old college basketball coach argument. He only wins because of his players. Well who gets the players? When you win you win as a team and organization. The coach is perhaps more important to the success of the team than anyone. Therefore, he to gets credit for his hires and decisions.

Come on! This is old college basketball coach argument. He only wins because of his players. Well who gets the players? When you win you win as a team and organization. The coach is perhaps more important to the success of the team than anyone. Therefore, he to gets credit for his hires and decisions.

The best thing Marrone has done is hire DCs. And considering two DCs have great success, maybe it is just the superior talent.

I still think the Pegulas bring in their guy... Instead of firings though I see more restructuring and possible a hire or 2 on the business side. Wouldnt be shocked to see Brandon 'resign' from the organization as Im not sure he is really needed and he doesnt seem to fit well with the approach/structure Pegula has shown with the Sabres. There you have the GM on one side, and Ted Black on the other (who is much more personable and likeable than Brandon and also never really comments on the hockey side).

Doug Whaley and the DCs have changed the culture. Does anyone really believe the Bills are 8-6 because of Marrone's amazing coaching? Would there be any difference if Gus Bradley was the coach? Or any other below average coach?

Our offense is brutal. We are loaded with talent and our defense wins us games. We benched a 2nd year QB for a 9 year veteran, who has a lower QBR than EJ did as a rookie? How is that good coaching?

Marrone has brought toughness I guess. But is he the main reason why Mario, Kyle, Dareus, or Jerry (our MVPs) are tough?

I know. Our expectations are so low. We have an offense (Marrone's speciality), that struggles to score 1 td a game. But let's have a parade for a guy who might win 2 more games than Jauron with a loaded roster.

Not you again. These last few days must be killing you. As to expectations, ever hear of process? Ups and Downs? Expecting outhouse to the penthouse is a bit much.

I have no problem with Marrone, I like his attitude and what he brings to the lockeroom.

My beef is with the offense he hired or installed. And with our lack of talent/coaching on the offensive line.

Bring in a new OC and an improved OL, we might be rolling, without drastic changes to HC and QB. But it's hard for a HC's OC to be fired, without a beef happening between the HC and OC, and from what I can tell, they are pretty tight.

So by all means let's fire our 9-7 coach. That would earn us respect.

Where did I say I want to fire Marrone? The Bills are already the laughing stock of the league, so firing Marrone after 9-7 won't really effect our standing, there.

Edited by Dorkington

I knew i liked Marrone the minute i read the post.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/160551-some-inside-info-on-camp-marrone/page__hl__%2Bnational+%2Banthem

IMO, Marronne is the best leader this team has had in a long time. Finding a leader is the hard part. But once you do, you surround them with good managers. It will be interesting to see what happens on the Offensive side of the ball. Will he fire or demote Hackett, or, like last year will he say they need better players to get it fixed.

That thread from couple years ago is insightful. Before they even played a game, some of the same people were complaining about him.

There shouldn't need to be a beef just to fire someone.

If the results aren't there then someone needs to be held accountable, no?

There shouldn't be, no...

But if you fire a HC's handpicked OC, who also happens to be a friend, that could cause beef between HC and FO. Marrone supports Hackett, I just don't see how Hackett gets fired without Marrone going in some form.

Not you again. These last few days must be killing you. As to expectations, ever hear of process? Ups and Downs? Expecting outhouse to the penthouse is a bit much.

You're probably new to this board. But if you got back a few years, I was the biggest homer on this board. I was a giant defender of Jauron, Edwards, Fitz, Gailey, etc.

I think we have at worst a top 10 talent team. A good way to look at MVPs is if an average or below average guy replaced the player, how would the team do? So if Aaron Rodgers got replaced by say Josh McCown, what would be the drop off? I think it would be pretty big right?

So using that, what would happen if Marrone got replaced by say Ron Rivera? What would be the drop off? I say nothing if anything. Also, if we replaced Marrone with Sean Payton, what would our record be?

I'm forcing myself to accept Marrone will be back. But this has not been a well coached team. Terrible penalties, bad decision making, questionable hires (Hackett). IMO, a lot of guys who have been as successful if not more with this roster. Whaley is the MVP of this team.

While I agree the offense has been unbelievably bad all season. I've also recently read that Marrone wanted changes to the players on the O line and was told that Urbik, Pears were quality players by the FO.

I have a difficult time believing that Whaley could be this lame, as he hasn't been with any other area of the team. I'm wondering if this isn't Brandon, and his "moneyball" philosophy that is no longer needed now that the Bills have new owners.

There is no question in my mind that Hackett needs to go, and yet nothing is written in stone until we find out exactly how new ownership feels about everything. Like I said, should the Bills beat the Patriots I can see no new "adviser" being hired at all, and the status quo remaining exactly the same with Brandon still wielding power. We need to see what the Pegula's will do, and how badly they want to win.

personally I think it is entertaining how he gives zero f#*%s what the media thinks. They cannot stand it.

i think the opposite is true. most of the time he yammers on when he doesn't need to because he's so conscious of them. you have your own issues with the "media."

The Bills would be a laughing stock if they fired a coach who took them to 9-7.

The Bears fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6 season, and the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season. Stranger stuff has happened.

Like I said, we still need to hear from the Pegula's on how badly they want a winner in Buffalo.