Question about the final safety...

The Poojer

Once Lacy recovered it the first time it was over. Only Rodgers could have advanced the ball as he fumbled it and there was less than 2 minutes left in the game. As soon as Lacy got possession the play was dead.

Edited by Mark80

I am sure it's being discussed somewhere but I can't go through all the threads....why did the official raise his hand when the ball was still live? he clearly raises his hands as if to call it a dead ball...

The rule is, in the last two minutes, only the player who fumbles the ball is allowed to recover and advance it. If another player from your team recovers it, it's called a dead ball at the spot of the recovery. Since Lacy recovered the ball in the end zone, that makes it a safety.

ahhhh...thank you very much for that....didn't hear the explanation and heck, i even thought lacy got out of the endzone...was a headscratcher for me. :thumbsup:

Once Lacy recovered it the first time it was over. Only Rodgers could have advanced the ball as he fumbled it and there was less than 2 minutes left in the game. As soon as Lacy got possession the play was dead.

Is that rule in place to prevent whacky bogus plays at the end of the game? Like players intetionally fumbling to have teammate pick up ball and advance it down field? Kind of like what happens with all the laterals on last plays of game..?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174170-one-of-the-most-epic-radio-calls-ever-the-holy-roller/

There's another thread about the "Holy Roller" which is where this rule came from...

I didn't know what was going on yesterday, I thought they were calling it an incomplete pass when they were blowing the whistle so early. (And in fact, I thought it would be reviewed, and overruled, as a pass... because I'm a Bills fan) :lol:

This was the first time I've seen this call, personally, glad it was in our favor!

As I said in the shout box yesterday, it does';t matter about the call of the dead ball as Lacy never got the fumble recovery out of the end one- same result - safety and 2 points!

Edited by Wacka

Keeps teams from attempting crazy lateral plays with all those fumbles.

Plus Lacy was tackled in the end zone so it would been a moot point

yes - understandable, but still feels downright unfair.

i don't have rewind, but i remember thinking that lacy would've gotten forward progress to the 1 !