Stuck in a car for 13 hours

Beerball

It can be true....

True story : My parents on a road trip a couple years ago stopped at a McDonalds for lunch. In the parking lot was a woman in a car trying to get their attention. They stopped to see what she wanted. She wanted them to go inside and get her husband to let her out because he locked the car with the keyfob when he went in. My Dad pointed to the lock lever on the door and told her she could let herself out. And yes, she was blond.

Mrs. Smith, on the other hand, has reacted much differently, “going public” with her plight to raise awareness about keyless vehicle dangers, receiving support from multiple elderly folks.

Well thank goodness she is raising awareness! I expect to see shortly a serious and in-depth analysis of this crisis in the Huffington Post.

"...Mollieanne (65) and Brian Smith (68)..." and technology.

Do I need to say any more?

;-)

It can be true....

True story : My parents on a road trip a couple years ago stopped at a McDonalds for lunch. In the parking lot was a woman in a car trying to get their attention. They stopped to see what she wanted. She wanted them to go inside and get her husband to let her out because he locked the car with the keyfob when he went in. My Dad pointed to the lock lever on the door and told her she could let herself out. And yes, she was blond.

LoL...

What happens if you start a car w/push button and fob in pocket. Get out w/said fob still in pocket and somebody else drives off?

Almost happened to my sister w/her a few years back... But as she was driving off, my BiL realized he had the fob and chased after her. What would have happened? I assume she would have stopped the car and not been able to start it back up again? What would happen if she lost power while on the road... Is there safe guards in place

;-)

LoL...

What happens if you start a car w/push button and fob in pocket. Get out w/said fob still in pocket and somebody else drives off?

Almost happened to my sister w/her a few years back... But as she was driving off, my BiL realized he had the fob and chased after her. What would have happened? I assume she would have stopped the car and not been able to start it back up again? What would happen if she lost power while on the road... Is there safe guards in place

It may be different with a OEM key fob, but with my aftermarket remote start keyfob you had to have the key in the ignition / turned to run before you could put your foot on the brake to change the transmission mode. The car would stop if you tried to put the car in drive or reverse without the key in the run position.

;-)

LoL...

The fob is required to engage the starter, not run the engine. So yes, you wouldn't want to drive off without it and be unable to restart the car but you could keep going without it if you needed. The related issue is the batteries on the fob running out, but on my car there is a key embedded inside the fob and a key ignition switch if that were to happen.

Also, it beeps at you if you take the fob away from the running car so there's a built in reminder -- probably what alerted your BiL (naturally your sister would have ignored the beeping and kept driving).