ruben browns comments

BELLABEANER

Ah my bad, I didn't realize you were focused only on the first half. It was in the second half.

Yeah, I was just focusing on the 1st half for the time being. Trying to figure out how we can get the ball 7 times and only come away with 3 points. I'm not trying to absolve Orton -- he needs to play better, but it's a lot more than "just the QB." The entire offense was a train wreck, from blocking schemes to route running.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was just focusing on the 1st half for the time being. Trying to figure out how we can get the ball 7 times and only come away with 3 points. I'm not trying to absolve Orton -- he needs to play better, but it's a lot more than "just the QB." The entire offense was a train wreck, from blocking schemes to route running.

What were the blocking schemes?

I'd say it was a combination of bad penalties (holding on the first series), slipping and Orton taking a sack. They were just in really bad 1st and 2nd down and longs.

What were the blocking schemes?

I can't say for certain what the design was, was mostly commenting on the execution. And unless they were attempting to set up screen passes all half, the execution was poor. The middle was blown up on long yardage plays, and this is without BJ Raji playing.

I'd say it was a combination of bad penalties (holding on the first series), slipping and Orton taking a sack. They were just in really bad 1st and 2nd down and longs.

I'm actually quite curious to hear him explain the blocking schemes.

I can't say for certain what the design was, was mostly commenting on the execution. And unless they were attempting to set up screen passes all half, the execution was poor. The middle was blown up on long yardage plays, and this is without BJ Raji playing.

Damn.

That's what he did when he first came here. Since that time, and partly because the defense is so good, I think Marrone and Hackett are not letting him be himself. They say don't make mistakes so many times that he has no confidence throwing and he falls to the ground instead of making plays.

This crossed my mind yesterday, one part joking to three parts serious. It actually feels like they told Orton, "If you sense the pocket collapsing and feel someone touching you, immediately drop the ground and protect the ball."

It is absolutely maddening because one of the things I loved about him early in the year was his ability to stand in the pocket and make a throw even though he KNEW he was about to get clobbered.

This crossed my mind yesterday, one part joking to three parts serious. It actually feels like they told Orton, "If you sense the pocket collapsing and feel someone touching you, immediately drop the ground and protect the ball."

It is absolutely maddening because one of the things I loved about him early in the year was his ability to stand in the pocket and make a throw even though he KNEW he was about to get clobbered.

So which do you think is more likely: the coaches telling him to turtle it? Or a 10 year vet who was threatening to retire less than four months ago getting pretty !@#$ing sick and tired of the clobberings?

I think one explanation is much, MUCH more plausible.

Yeah, he also has the worst QBR since 2007, his yards per attempt are right at his career average and he's accumulated garbage stats in games that were had already pretty much lost (see 4th quarter vs Denver).

Talk to a fan of any team Orton was the QB of. He is not some great QB that was neutered by Marrone and Hackett. He is a mediocre talent that is actually overachieving (scary isn't it) in this offense. He just plainly put isn't very good and it is why everywhere he went the team looked to move on from him.

Ahh yes now its the receivers fault.

Orton is making the same mistakes EJ was with a much longer leash from the fans. He was an improvement in October. Since then he's been pretty rough. Yesterday, i'm not sure he wasn't better than Tuel

This is the maddening thing to me. What has Orton done to deserve this longer leash? Why all the excuse making for him?

Like this for example. Seriously what is more likely here;

Marrone and Hackett are telling him to lie down to avoid turning the ball over

OR

Orton whose commitment to the game can certainly be questioned doesn't want to take the hit

So which do you think is more likely: the coaches telling him to turtle it? Or a 10 year vet who was threatening to retire less than four months ago getting pretty !@#$ing sick and tired of the clobberings?

Damn beat me to it but exactly the same thought! :thumbsup:

So they "force him" to go to an OPEN receiver, then he overthrows and/or misses that receiver badly, and it's not Orton's fault!?

Wow, this board is like the theatre of the absurd sometimes......often times. LOL

yes , it is/

Ruben and Orton are GOOD GOOD buddies... Just one thing to consider.

Orton is not an accurate passer regardless of gameplan.

Orton is currently better than EJ but I don't think the gap is too broad.

This team is a good QB away.

We have one "decent" QB and one prospect.

Until that changes to something better people are going to come up with 100 reasons why we're not where we want to be.

As long as 70 and 79 keep getting pushed back into Orton's face he will keep missing those wide open receivers

That's the biggest thing I see in his regression over the past month. DC's are bringing more pressure and attacking his lack of mobility / inability to throw on the move. He's not handling it well and it's affecting his confidence and timing.

Like this for example. Seriously what is more likely here;

Marrone and Hackett are telling him to lie down to avoid turning the ball over

OR

Orton whose commitment to the game can certainly be questioned doesn't want to take the hit

Damn beat me to it but exactly the same thought! :thumbsup:

It could be a sort of combination. When Orton was first here he was willing to stand in and take a hit.....not now. I, like you, doubt the coaches told him to simply cave in. Maybe Orton, being smart guy, realizes that Hackett and Marrone's poor schemes are only going to get him killed 30 times a game. This could lead him to covering up.

It could be a sort of combination. When Orton was first here he was willing to stand in and take a hit.....not now. I, like you, doubt the coaches told him to simply cave in. Maybe Orton, being smart guy, realizes that Hackett and Marrone's poor schemes are only going to get him killed 30 times a game. This could lead him to covering up.

So contrary to what all the players have said, he's given up on the team? Their field general has just decided to quit?

Absolutely right Big Cat. Orton is not getting the time to make reads or good throws because he is getting beat up all game. On the last offensive play he made the one read to Watkins and threw it when he had Fred open underneath for a first. The middle of the line sucks and he's trying to get rid of the ball too fast.

Edited by DallasMac

Possibly. I genuinely don't know. All I know is in the beginning he fought through it to make a throw, and now the minute he feels pressure he falls like a possum.

He didn't buckle earlier in the season. He buckles now. Do you have a guess as to why?

I gave my guess.

Yes, and I gave mine as well. And, as debates tend to go, I think mine is WAY more plausible than yours.

Orton--who was threatening retirement LESS THAN FOUR MONTHS AGO, got sick and tired of getting clobbered in the pocket. The OLine can't keep him clean and he's starting to hear and see ghosts.

I simply cannot understand why we'd twist and turn to try and fabricate some explanation that the coaches are telling him to play like a puss.

Ill be interested to see if Kyle Orton is a good solider in the offseason, goes to mini camp, traing camp. If he really really wants to make this work. This team needs a QB, hes a QB. Hey, maybe if he improves his strength and conditioning, his focus. This is as good of a team as hes played on...

C'mon Kyle! Get your flippin head in the game man!

Edited by mastershake

Yes, and I gave mine as well. And, as debates tend to go, I think mine is WAY more plausible than yours.

Orton--who was threatening retirement LESS THAN FOUR MONTHS AGO, got sick and tired of getting clobbered in the pocket. The OLine can't keep him clean and he's starting to hear and see ghosts.

I simply cannot understand why we'd twist and turn to try and fabricate some explanation that the coaches are telling him to play like a puss.

If you really thought there was any chance he was going to retire you haven't been following this. He was never going to retire.

If you really thought there was any chance he was going to retire you haven't been following this. He was never going to retire.

Right. So, following your logic, he was clamoring at the bit to take massive hits behind a deficient offensive line. The coaches have since robbed him of that opportunity by telling him to duck and cover.