ruben browns comments

BELLABEANER

The problem is our interior OL......when things are going wrong in the passing game we dont have the horses to knuckle down and grind out yards when we have to.......

I am not against looking for another OC and QB for that matter.....but OL needs to be addressed heavily.....both in free agency AND the draft

We're used to seeing great players against our offense lately. The line plays hard and hold up pretty damn well considering the level of talent coming at them. I disagree completely. Wood will be here as a leader--for years to come.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a team like a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, Marone has to choose if he is still the coach after the season is over

either:

(A) have QB that fits the game plan

(B) have a game plan to fit the QB

till then the offence will continue to spin it's collective wheels

Every former coach, player and scout has said that Orton--just like every other QB that bursts on to a scene then regresses--is a victim of defenses getting tape on him. Period. Why we try and overcomplicate the matter by pinning it on some ethereal psychological strangle hold imposed by the coaching staff, I'll never know.

That is just flat nonsense. A lot of quarterbacks get better even if they have a few good games early. Teams also had eight years of tape on Orton. He's a completely different quarterback now. He has zero confidence. Even when he was playing bad in Denver and Chicago he didn't look like he had no confidence. 2-3 games ago I was commenting that he was an average player and a 50-50 guy, and he had been playing so poor overall for a few games that there was a greater chance he would get much better than play just as poorly, if only to show he is an average QB. But he got substantially worse. He never sucked this bad. Ever.

It's funny because Orton is having one of if not his best year of his career.

If this is true, then he has had a God awful career.

I think part of the problem is that Marrone and Hackett have neutered him. He is more of the gunslinger type. he will make mistakes but will throw a bunch of good passes too. That's what he did when he first came here. Since that time, and partly because the defense is so good, I think Marrone and Hackett are not letting him be himself. They say don't make mistakes so many times that he has no confidence throwing and he falls to the ground instead of making plays. They took the gunslinger mentality away from him and tries to make him a game manager and now he is scared to throw anything. He looks completely lost. He is missing 5 yard passes. Thats as much on them as it is him, IMO,

Your right and they did the same to Manuel.

Wait, Ruben Brown has a tv gig? I honestly did not know anything about this and quite happy to hear this because he has always been very insightful and it is great to have an OL giving commentary!

can someone give me some details about his gig, please?

sounds like ruben is making the point that ive questioned a few times -- yes we may be seeing guys get open, but is that enough to say hackett is putting KO in situations that would maximize success. as an outsider and a laymen its hard to go beyond speculation but i think its a fair question.

I have seen little evidence he can go downfield and consistently hit the mark. Absent that ability, why would a defense respect the deep pass? I struggle with blaming Hackett for much of this.

More and more this has been my take on the whole OC debacle this season, and it was reinforced yesterday by my buddy--who loves to hate Hackett--who texted from the game what I've feared to be true this whole time: Orton has been so bad, that it's virtually impossible to fairly evaluate the OC and the offense he's trying to run.

That is just flat nonsense. A lot of quarterbacks get better even if they have a few good games early. Teams also had eight years of tape on Orton. He's a completely different quarterback now. He has zero confidence. Even when he was playing bad in Denver and Chicago he didn't look like he had no confidence. 2-3 games ago I was commenting that he was an average player and a 50-50 guy, and he had been playing so poor overall for a few games that there was a greater chance he would get much better than play just as poorly, if only to show he is an average QB. But he got substantially worse. He never sucked this bad. Ever.

I'm repeating what I've heard every single coach, scout and player say on this.

Also, how do you explain the way EVERY new quarterback regresses back to the mean?

He never sucked this bad. Ever.

But wait a minute....he's having his best year ever! LOL

Btw, I agree with you 100%. Teams having tape, and figuring out the Bills' offensive "schemes", has NOTHING to do with KO's horrible accuracy/bad decision making.

I will also agree with the chorus that says Hackett must go...and as I've said all year, he has no business even being there. He was a "buddy hire" by Maroon.

couldnt agree with you more Kelly

When Orton first came in, he was much better and progressively gotten worse and more scared back there.

A much a I like to say the lack of offense is more on Orton not executing (it is), I still come away with that's how Hackett is limiting his mistakes.

Gotta take shots downfield. Yesterday the Paclers defenses were daring is to do it and we never did.

At the same time, a few times where we did throw it medium to long range, the passes were so far off it was ridiculous.

I,don't think Orton has time in the pocket for the deep routes too develop. The interior line is horrid.

Btw, I agree with you 100%. Teams having tape, and figuring out the Bills' offensive "schemes", has NOTHING to do with KO's horrible accuracy/bad decision making.

Um, yes it does. When defenses know what he WANTS to do and forces him to do something else...as they have been doing...

He's not multi-dimensional enough. Period.

Also, you guys are !@#$ing out of your minds if you think the Lions prepped for Orton by firing up 2010 Denver film.

you dont think they even glanced at our starting qbs strengths and weaknesses? his tendencies? truly, the personnel department probably had an existing book on the guy but im sure they got out the film for a bit.