(OT) Great read on NHL Lockout

I can see why the players won't sign up to the cap that the owners are trying to create. In essence a double cap that will limit how much the cap could go up.

I've been in the owners corner the whole time during this lockout, but this is total crap. If the league is doing well, then the league should pay the players. Also, why have a min of 32 and a max cap of 42. I like having a minimum salary, but 32? That's a little high. It should be somewhere in the low 20's.

I think the players would accept a cap if it was a honest cap, not this capping players salaries at 42mil even if the league is doing really well.

They also need to get rid of guaranteed contracts.

ESPN Linky

I can see why the players won't sign up to the cap that the owners are trying to create.  In essence a double cap that will limit how much the cap could go up.

I've been in the owners corner the whole time during this lockout, but this is total crap.  If the league is doing well, then the league should pay the players.  Also, why have a min of 32 and a max cap of 42.  I like having a minimum salary, but 32?  That's a little high.  It should be somewhere in the low 20's.

I think the players would accept a cap if it was a honest cap, not this capping players salaries at 42mil even if the league is doing really well.

They also need to get rid of guaranteed contracts.

ESPN Linky

227182[/snapback]

I agree that the floor is a bit high, I would propose maybe a floor of $26-28 million, and maybe even extend the ceiling a bit too, maybe to about $45-48 million. With the rollback in salaries etc, teams should be able to hit these marks, allow for all the teams to prosper, and also give some of the larger markets some ability to spend more because they earn more. (And Im a Sabres fan BTW)

Having said this, if there is a cap put in place, they better roll back ticket prices AND concession prices too to reflect the changes in the new CBA.

how much money is to much? if owners did not pay so much money to start with they would not be in this mess , they only have themselves to blame . :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: the nhl and the owners

227190[/snapback]

Wouldnt it be collusion of the owners got together and kept down prices?

If they are going to use a cap system they should make it based on the NFL model, which guarantees the players a certain percentage of revenue. But of course that works for the NFL because a large share of NFL team money is either from league-wide broadcast revenue or via sharing....Without the big national network $$$ they have to rely on the owners to profit-share...

In the NFL the cap is based on a percentage of the revenues, somewhere in the 50's I would guess. What if the league said, "Ya know we had a really good year and normally if we used the revenue % the cap would go up to 90mil, but the CBA has a max. the cap can be and it's 82 mil. So next year it's 82 mil. Thanks for the extra dough players."

The players would feel slighted because they put a good product on the field and are not getting their cut of the profits. I think that's how the NHL players feel about what the owners are putting out there. All they want is their fair share of the pie. If revenues go up, then want more. If revenue goes down then need to take less.

I agree they are all overpaid, but we go and buy the $75 dollar tickets, $15 parking, $6 hotdogs and $6 beers to go and see the games. If we stopped going to the game until the prices became more reasonable it would all level itself out.

Question: Did anyone have Sabres season tickets? How much did they cost and did that include parking?

The players would feel slighted because they put a good product on the field and are not getting their cut of the profits.  I think that's how the NHL players feel about what the owners are putting out there.  All they want is their fair share of the pie.  If revenues go up, then want more.  If revenue goes down then need to take less.

227205[/snapback]

I agree that no matter WHAT the revenues are, the players should get a pre-set and fixed percentage regardless. Again base it on the NFL model. And the NFL allocates ~67% of revenues for the cap.

I agree that no matter WHAT the revenues are, the players should get a pre-set and fixed percentage regardless.  Again base it on the NFL model.  And the NFL allocates ~67% of revenues for the cap.

227212[/snapback]

Whoa! 67%, that's alot more than I thought.

I agree they are all overpaid, but we go and buy the $75 dollar tickets, $15 parking, $6 hotdogs and $6 beers to go and see the games.  If we stopped going to the game until the prices became more reasonable it would all level itself out.

Question:  Did anyone have Sabres season tickets?  How much did they cost and did that include parking?

227209[/snapback]

The prices you stated are a huge part of the problem. In a big market, you may be able to get away with charging $75 for a ticket, but you have a game in February on a Tuesday night against a crappy team and you end up with an entire lower bowl of empty blue seats.

My 2 cents....I'm NEVER paying $75 for a regular season hockey game. I'm not even sure, I'd pay that much to see the Bills. Thankfully except for the club seats, all tickets are below this amount

The prices you stated are a huge part of the problem.  In a big market, you may be able to get away with charging $75 for a ticket, but you have a game in February on a Tuesday night against a crappy team and you end up with an entire lower bowl of empty blue seats.

My 2 cents....I'm NEVER paying $75 for a regular season hockey game.  I'm not even sure, I'd pay that much to see the Bills.  Thankfully except for the club seats, all tickets are below this amount

227271[/snapback]

In Minnesota, the tickets are roughly that much for the lower bowl Wild games. The upper deck tickets were about $35 if I remember correctly. They sell out every game here.

As far as football, the Vikings charge around $60 for the nosebleed seats... No idea how much the lower bowl stuff is here. That's why I was more than happy to pay around $80 for 4th row, 20 yardline tickets at the Ralph for the season opener. Compared to what I pay when the Bills visit Minnesota, it was a steal.

CW

I would be happy never to see the faces of Bob Goodenow and Gery Bettman on my tv screen or in my newspaper ever again. It doesn't matter who you are siding with on this lockout....both of these guys are a couple of @ssclowns who are responsible for shutting down the NHL because they can't agree on how to cut up a big chunk of money.

Shame on them all. :doh:

The prices you stated are a huge part of the problem.  In a big market, you may be able to get away with charging $75 for a ticket, but you have a game in February on a Tuesday night against a crappy team and you end up with an entire lower bowl of empty blue seats.

My 2 cents....I'm NEVER paying $75 for a regular season hockey game.  I'm not even sure, I'd pay that much to see the Bills.  Thankfully except for the club seats, all tickets are below this amount

227271[/snapback]

I totally agree with you, but the problem w/ Hockey is no one wants to watch it on TV, so the only way to play the players under the current (past) CBA was to pay through the nose for those seats.

I would pay 75 for good Bills seats, but that's why I asked about season tickets and how much they cost for Hockey. Isn't the hockey season 84 games? That's 42 home games.... 42*75 = 3150 and that's for ONE seat!!!!

Craziness.