Building a team: defense, ST, and then offense?

Marrone was quoted by the announcers as saying the way he builds his team is defense, special teams, and then offense in that order. If we get to 9 or 10 wins are we doomed to see this offense again next season? If so, we're going to be stuck in the mud, spinning our tires again. The offense is horrendous, and it's holding this team back.

I hope Pegula does whatever is necessary to keep this D together (including Schwartz). I hope to hell somebody in he organization puts an offense together and finds us a freaking QB.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is worrisome is that after a really exciting game, with plenty of huge plays, we beat a Super Bowl contending team... and a comment by the coach is what you want to focus on.

There's a time and a place for everytihing. This is not thr time nor the place to be criticizing the HC moments after the biggest win in his career.

Marrone was quoted by the announcers as saying the way he builds his team is defense, special teams, and then offense in that order. If we get to 9 or 10 wins are we doomed to see this offense again next season? If so, we're going to be stuck in the mud, spinning our tires again. The offense is horrendous, and it's holding this team back.

I hope Pegula does whatever is necessary to keep this D together (including Schwartz). I hope to hell somebody in he organization puts an offense together and finds us a freaking QB.

Says captain obvious.

The most upsetting thing to me about it is, not its validity as a philosophy, but rather it's a lie. He is just covering his ass trying to take credit (which he deserves as hc) for the only bright spot on the team.

If Marrone was so I vilbed with the defense first, why are the last 2 years philosophies so different?

Just trying I save face, and take the distraction at how bad his personally coached OL and offense are.

Did you guys catch the FOX announcers say that Marrone told them that the way you build a winning team is first by defense, then ST, and then offense?

This was the first time I have ever heard Marrone espouse this theory.

What do folks think? It sounded like an excuse as to why our offense is bad, but assuming it isn't, is this the right way to build your team?

Did you guys catch the FOX announcers say that Marrone told them that the way you build a winning team is first by defense, then ST, and then offense?

What do folks think? It sounded like an excuse as to why our offense is bad, but assuming it isn't, is this the right way to build your team?

It's a total excuse as to why the O is bad. No one ever puts ST's ahead of offense (unless you mean FG kicker, to cover for a bad offense). Usually a coach who starts with D goes to running game, then passing, then special teams.

So doomed after 10 wins.

We don't have ten wins, and probably won't get them. My point is we have an extremely low chance of making the playoffs this year, even at ten wins. The likelihood of getting 10 or more next year is low unless they address all of the issues on offense.

I'm happy we won, but I'm a big picture guy. I'm not just concerned with next week, but next year.

Not having a top-20 NFL QB, and then having him work with a rookie and two second-year WRs, a merely serviceable TE and just three average NFL starter quality OL might make you go that route.

But hey, let's not look reality in the face. This is TSW, afterall...

the more he makes statements like this in public attempting to take all the glory, the more I want this egotistical Pinstripe Bowl Champion GONE. Someone should ask him what exactly HE has done to improve the defense or ST. Seems Whaley and Schwartz have done that. Meanwhile, his pick for offense has been a total disaster. So, the next step is to fire Marrone and Hackett?

First of all, the Fox announcers were utterly clueless today and did nothing that would give me reason to put faith in their reporting skills.

Second of all, Marrone is really not all that good at expressing himself to the press. (Which I don't care about, but it's true.)

It's like a game of telephone, with 3 opportunities to screw up the message: beginning with what Marrone thinks, then what he conveyed to the Fox team, then what the Fox team heard, and finally what they tried to get across.

It's meaningless.

kj

It means we're going offense and needs in the draft, that's what it means. So we'll get a TE as our second round pick then a RB (first one of the board), then more O-line.

WR's should improve greatly going into next season, them all having a years worth of XP under their belt (Woods 2), hopefully the O-line guys will get it together during the offseason. I expect a battle for starting QB between Orton and EJ, with Orton coming out on top, we might even grab a big QB in FA if one is available. And hopefully a new OC.

Edited by bladiebla

I started another thread on that quote and everyone starting jumping on me

Marrone said that? Link / source? I figured that was just the announcer talking out of his butt. They are always saying weird stuff off the cuff. Edited by ldandria

It means we're going offense and needs in the draft, that's what it means. So we'll get a TE as our second round pick then a RB (first one of the board), then more O-line.

WR's should improve greatly going into next season, them all having a years worth of XP under their belt (Woods 2), hopefully the O-line guys will get it together during the offseason. I expect a battle for starting QB between Orton and EJ, with Orton coming out on top, we might even grab a big QB in FA if one is available. And hopefully a new OC.

If we go TE then RB and stick with Orton/EJ then we're going backwards. We need Guards and a QB.

The most upsetting thing to me about it is, not its validity as a philosophy, but rather it's a lie. He is just covering his ass trying to take credit (which he deserves as hc) for the only bright spot on the team.

If Marrone was so I vilbed with the defense first, why are the last 2 years philosophies so different?

Just trying I save face, and take the distraction at how bad his personally coached OL and offense are.

If Marrone is personally coaching our O-line, what does our O-line coach do?

First of all, the Fox announcers were utterly clueless today and did nothing that would give me reason to put faith in their reporting skills.

Second of all, Marrone is really not all that good at expressing himself to the press. (Which I don't care about, but it's true.)

It's like a game of telephone, with 3 opportunities to screw up the message: beginning with what Marrone thinks, then what he conveyed to the Fox team, then what the Fox team heard, and finally what they tried to get across.

It's meaningless.

kj

Sorta Nailed it