Consultant and the HC and GM

jahnyc

I still think the most important move for Pegula is to hire a consultant to assess the team, the coaches and the front office. A fresh look at the overall organization is needed, and now is the time to do it. It would have been helpful if this had started immediately after Pegula bought the Bills, so that the consultant would be in a position to recommend changes at season end, particularly since the competition for certain potential head coaching and GM candidates will be tough. Assuming that Pegula has not secretly hired a consultant who will have completed his review by the end of the season, you would have to think that coaching and GM changes are unlikely be made this year. I do not believe that Pegula would make these kind of moves without the assistance of a consultant/expert, and if he gets one after the season, it may be too late to hire the top coaching/GM candidates with certain teams ready to start their head coach/GM searches now.

Edited by jahnyc

Out of courtesy to the former CEO, I would think that the Pegula's gave him the season to see if the people he had a hand in hiring could get the team to the playoffs. They realized how much the former owner trusted Russ Brandon to name him CEO, and wanted to give him the full opportunity to see if the all the "continuity" talk he was making would prove fruitful.

I'll bet that even after the season ends and the teams offense is still in the bottom 10 in the league, that Brandon is still talking continuity. Fortunately, I believe that the new owners will hire a senior NFL consultant, and perhaps even someone like Bill Polian. Then I believe that the new adviser will suggest hiring a team president to run the football side of operations like Green Bays GM Ted Thompson. From there I would think that changes will be forthcoming on the offensive side of the ball.

Pure speculation on my part...along with a whole bunch of hoping.

How do we know the "expert evaluation" process is not already well underway?

The process that led to the hiring of the current Sabres GM, Tim Murray, was put in place very informally when Terry Pegula had dinner with Pat LaFontaine. It was most serendipity as I understand it.

This stuff need not be the product of some mega press conference, etc.

Hell, Terry may have had an eye opening phone conversation yesterday with Person X, the product of which was to make Terry realize he needs to clean house, or fire no one.

Who knows.

How do we know the "expert evaluation" process is not already well underway?

if someone like accorsi was performing a top-down review already, i suspect we would already know. i don't see a reason why that hire would be kept a secret. and even if it was, i can't see that info not leaking. at the very least the nfl reporters who reported pegula's intention to make that hire would be tweeting their self-congratulations.

I could be wrong on this but I don't recall TP stating he absolutely will hire a consultant. Thought he stated he MAY do that and seems everyone in the media and this site took it as gospel.

That being said I do tend to agree with the OP in that would be difficult to make any types of changes this off-season as would take some time to decide what is and isn't working. Unless the person is actually brought in to flat out clean house, and not to determine what is or isn't working.

I could be wrong on this but I don't recall TP stating he absolutely will hire a consultant. Thought he stated he MAY do that and seems everyone in the media and this site took it as gospel.

That being said I do tend to agree with the OP in that would be difficult to make any types of changes this off-season as would take some time to decide what is and isn't working. Unless the person is actually brought in to flat out clean house, and not to determine what is or isn't working.

you are correct in that TP stated recently that he would wait, and depending on how the team performed he might not hire a consultant at all. I think its now a forgone conclusion to expect a consultant to be hired, and even changes to the offense.

These new owners have a history of hiring some very smart people to help run their businesses. I suspect they have already made some contacts and are simply waiting for the season to end to make announcements.

I still think the most important move for Pegula is to hire a consultant to assess the team, the coaches and the front office. A fresh look at the overall organization is needed, and now is the time to do it. It would have been helpful if this had started immediately after Pegula bought the Bills, so that the consultant would be in a position to recommend changes at season end, particularly since the competition for certain potential head coaching and GM candidates will be tough. Assuming that Pegula has not secretly hired a consultant who will have completed his review by the end of the season, you would have to think that coaching and GM changes are unlikely be made this year. I do not believe that Pegula would make these kind of moves without the assistance of a consultant/expert, and if he gets one after the season, it may be too late to hire the top coaching/GM candidates with certain teams ready to start their head coach/GM searches now.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: