How Jairus Byrd blew up the Saints' salary cap

Hell, I do that all the time. Not sure if it's healthy though.

GO BILLS!!!

Hehe.....can't see it as being healthy at all. The problem is that we are Bills fans. All we've had for the past 15 years has been sighs and empty "what ifs".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me a team with a franchise QB and they will have cap issues. The Bills have no cap issues because they don't have enough great players to pay.

Except the Seahawks, who have a franchise QB still on his 3d round rookie contract. It's one of the reasons they have been so successful, but they will have to pay up soon.

Except the Seahawks, who have a franchise QB still on his 3d round rookie contract. It's one of the reasons they have been so successful, but they will have to pay up soon.

I believe that this is why the window of opportunity for a championship team is pretty short. With a few very good rookies and a few reasonably priced vets, it can be done. Once you win, the prices go up and you can't re-sign all of your own players anymore.

The Patriots are pretty good at jettisoning high priced players just after their careers peak and replacing them with lower cost substitutes.

Of course, step one is to collect championship talent, and step two is having a coaching staff that knows how to use them. But I digress.

Byrd was a B player at safety..lots of picks, but not good on the run. He had instincts, but was slow......Whaley got it right.......offered B player money...but NO got it wrong. And, after two years now of not being healthy, I think that not getting Byrd to resign here was a master stroke.