Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

I'll say this for the 2014 Buffalo Bills... they're certainly finding ways to keep me entertained. From big moves on draft day, to the ownership change, to a meaningful series of games in December -- and now some juicy behind the scenes bickering. I'm on the edge of my seat now, wondering what's going to happen in the battle of the Dougs, sure the playoff dreams are dying but they've found another way to keep my interest. A few weeks of "he said" / "he said" followed up with inside leaks of leaked emails between the Dougs trash-talking one another and culminating in an old fashioned throw down in the Octagon: Two Dougs enter, only one Doug will leave...

Brandon is a marketing genius.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread.

Lot's of good takes from good posters.

Some inside-type takes, including an appreciated Simon sighting.

Two of the kings of stubborn, cocamame takes...CBiscuit and Cat...arguing and Biscuit finishing it by accusing Cat of being a Jauron sympathizer. You couldn't make it up. :lol:

All I will add is this.

Coaches are judged by wins and losses......and GM's are judged by their QB choices.

There are no winners here.....just a question of which loser is more directly accountable.

Whaley has been the GM for only one full offseason but he was very instrumental in personnel dept here that has failed to get a QB of any quality since he was hired.

GMs are not judged by QB choices. Look at this defense. He's a big part of why it is so good. He went after a QB. Had he not, what then?? At least he had the balls to try. Anyone judging Whaley on the Bills' QB situation would have to be a half-wit. Manuel isn't done yet, for one. And it's not like Whaley had a lot to choose from, either.

Oh ... and look at the defense.

I'll say this for the 2014 Buffalo Bills... they're certainly finding ways to keep me entertained. From big moves on draft day, to the ownership change, to a meaningful series of games in December -- and now some juicy behind the scenes bickering. I'm on the edge of my seat now, wondering what's going to happen in the battle of the Dougs, sure the playoff dreams are dying but they've found another way to keep my interest. A few weeks of "he said" / "he said" followed up with inside leaks of leaked emails between the Dougs trash-talking one another and culminating in an old fashioned throw down in the Octagon: Two Dougs enter, only one Doug will leave...

but what we need is a football genius. do we need brandon? does pegula need brandon?

The fact both of their names are Doug is comic heaven.

"The Doug House" was great, whomever first came up with that.

Which one Doug themselves the biggest hole?

Doug or (Archaic) digged, digging. 1. to break up, turn over, or remove earth, sand, etc., as with a shovel, spade, bulldozer, or claw ...

Doug deep.

Marrone Doug his own grave.

If it does come done to that, I can't see Whaley being the Doug that leaves. Wait, in the 'Thunderdome' analogy, leaving is a good thing, right? So in your analogy Whaley leaves and Marrone stays? Aw phuck, I'm totally confused here.

Seriously, much may depend on the consultant Pegula brings in, but Whaley has built the better case in my estimation.

GO BILLS!!!

but what we need is a football genius. do we need brandon? does pegula need brandon?

Brandon is strictly on the business side now, reporting to the Pegulas. Doug Whaley is in charge of the football side and also reports directly to the Pegulas. No need to sweat the never existent idea that Brandon is making all sorts of personnel decisions.

GO BILLS!!!

If it does come done to that, I can't see Whaley being the Doug that leaves. Wait, in the 'Thunderdome' analogy, leaving is a good thing, right? So in your analogy Whaley leaves and Marrone stays? Aw phuck, I'm totally confused here.

Seriously, much may depend on the consultant Pegula brings in, but Whaley has built the better case in my estimation.

GO BILLS!!!

Brandon is strictly on the business side now, reporting to the Pegulas. Doug Whaley is in charge of the football side and also reports directly to the Pegulas. No need to sweat the never existent idea that Brandon is making all sorts of personnel decisions.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt either are gone. Marrone has a next to zero shot of finishing under .500 and a 2 game improvement to 8-8 will give him enough reason to retain him. Besides, bringing in a whole new offensive staff and system for EJ could be hell on his development

GO BILLS!!!

produce a winner and brandon ain't needed. the seats and merch will sell themselves.

produce a winner and brandon ain't needed. the seats and merch will sell themselves.

You are totally discounting the positive impact Brandon has had on that side of the business. Can't see the Pegulas getting rid of him any time soon. Brandon has a good rep around the league, too. He'd have a job with another team in a minute. That said, he may decide to pursue other opportunities on his own, as well. Being so long with Ralph Wilson Enterprises, perhaps the Pegula era isn't something that interests him moving forward. Brandon takes a lot of crap on this board, but I find most of it to be ill informed.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt either are gone. Marrone has a next to zero shot of finishing under .500 and a 2 game improvement to 8-8 will give him enough reason to retain him. Besides, bringing in a whole new offensive staff and system for EJ could be hell on his development

There's always that possibility as well, certainly.

GO BILLS!!!

You are totally discounting the positive impact Brandon has had on that side of the business. Can't see the Pegulas getting rid of him any time soon. Brandon has a good rep around the league, too. He'd have a job with another team in a minute. That said, he may decide to pursue other opportunities on his own, as well. Being so long with Ralph Wilson Enterprises, perhaps the Pegula era isn't something that interests him moving forward. Brandon takes a lot of crap on this board, but I find most of it to be ill informed.

GO BILLS!!!

There's always that possibility as well, certainly.

GO BILLS!!!

i suppose it depends on the ultimate goal. if it's selling seats and merch with the lowest possible investment then he's your guy. if it's teaming up to manage a successful football operation then not so much.

Watch this:

I doubt either stay. Marrone has next to zero shot of finishing over .500 and only a 1-2 game improvement will not be enough to retain him. Besides, bringing in a whole new offensive staff and system could salvage ejs development.

(Although I'd say whaley sticks and marrone will be a question mark bases on the last month. 1-3 while making a power play in the organization could be ugly)

Edited by NoSaint

i suppose it depends on the ultimate goal. if it's selling seats and merch with the lowest possible investment then he's your guy. if it's teaming up to manage a successful football operation then not so much.

Ultimately, the Bills are in the entertainment industry. Russ Brandon's biggest competition isn't the Patriots, the Dolphins or the Jets, it's the Sabres.

GMs are not judged by QB choices. Look at this defense. He's a big part of why it is so good. He went after a QB. Had he not, what then?? At least he had the balls to try. Anyone judging Whaley on the Bills' QB situation would have to be a half-wit. Manuel isn't done yet, for one. And it's not like Whaley had a lot to choose from, either.

Oh ... and look at the defense.

That isn't really an argument is it? The Bills very gradual climb to having a solid roster can be summed up in one word.

PARITY.

Buddy Nix came in and hired Whaley and their objective was to build a team that was huge on both lines and physical.

That's fine but not exactly exceptional as 5 year plans in the NFL go.

Five years in and the all important QB situation is still at square 1. Like I said, Whaley has only been the GM for like 18 months, but it we are to assume he was more than a yes-man to Buddy then why only one QB drafted?

A QB who looks miles away from good yet Whaley swears that he has "it".

Yes....a GM is judged by his QB choices because there is no such thing as sustained success in the NFL without excellent QB play.

Ultimately, the Bills are in the entertainment industry. Russ Brandon's biggest competition isn't the Patriots, the Dolphins or the Jets, it's the Sabres.

star wars and howard the duck are both competitors in the entertainment business as well. russ is just ducky.

Well, them, but also all those other teams on tv and quite a few fun disposable income activities

Watch this:

I doubt either stay. Marrone has next to zero shot of finishing over .500 and only a 1-2 game improvement will not be enough to retain him. Besides, bringing in a whole new offensive staff and system could salvage ejs development.

(Although I'd say whaley sticks and marrone will be a question mark bases on the last month. 1-3 while making a power play in the organization could be ugly)

Well that's like, your opinion man.

Obviously you could argue either way. But if I'm Pegula, I think long and hard about firing the first coach in ten years to get past 7-9. Unless you got some stud coach waiting in the wings that wants the job.

You need to stop using Brandon's name in any sentence that includes "football operation." It's an entirely new hierarchy. Don't know how much clearer that can be.

Depends on the ultimate goal? WTF does that even mean?

GO BILLS!!!

In that case, I'm glad the Pegulas have to sell the Sabres if they want to continue to own the Bills. Shouldn't that have been done by now?

GO BILLS!!!

You need to stop using Brandon's name in any sentence that includes "football operation." It's an entirely new hierarchy. Don't know how much clearer that can be.

Depends on the ultimate goal? WTF does that even mean?

GO BILLS!!!

In that case, I'm glad the Pegulas have to sell the Sabres if they want to continue to own the Bills. Shouldn't that have been done by now?

GO BILLS!!!

you've watched this team for several years i presume. do you believe ralph wilson's highest priority with this team was winning as many games and super bowls as possible? if you believe that then you also must believe that he was a miserable failure. i'm betting you're smart enough not to believe either.

Are your standards that low?

The guy goes 7-9 or 8-8 and the seasons a success?

1. I said .500 or above. Anything goes if we don't win another game (dropping the OAK game would be a firable offense at this point).

2. I don't have low standards, just realistic ones. Kyle Williams hasn't sniffed an 8-8 season his 9 year career here. Rome wasn't built in a day, and going from 6-10 over the last decade to an improvement of 8-8 or possibly higher would make me think twice about who I'm gonna fire. This is the Bills we're talking about here. I don't know how much of an ideal coaching location it is, but if the past ten years are any suggestion, it's probably not great. Demanding excellence is great, but understanding that you don't go from bottom feeder to contender in a year in most cases is necessary. Imagine going from Marrone to a guy like Mularkey or Wannstedt. No thank you.

Edited by FireChan