Newark NJ to build new arena for the Devils

Rayzer32

After 18 months of negotiations, the City of Newark has decided to build a new 18,000 seat, downtown arena for the NHL Devils to play in. :( I hope they get it built before the playoffs start. :(

I have to figure this is some ploy to get the Devils off their back for now, seeing how the NHL is pretty much through for this year and the future of the league still in doubt. I know it would not be built overnight, and probably not ready to play in for 2 years, but it seems like a big waste of taxpayer money to go ahead and ok this deal right now.

I am sure the Nets will play there also, but have not heard specifically. To build an arena for the sake of 1 pro sports team, that may be in doubt, should be questioned. Who in the hell from outside of Newark will actually travel to downtown Newark, one of the more dangerous cities, to watch a game. A big portion of their attendance at the Meadowlands came from NYC. I am sure they will have a train from NYC go directly to the new arena if they want to keep them coming back.

Gotta love politics. :D

There HAS to be some provision in this deal that's contingent upon the return of the National Hockey League. Newark's really not that far away - people certainly come from the city for the airport, and even just Newark Proper is probably not too much smaller than Buffalo.

After 18 months of negotiations, the City of Newark has decided to build a new 18,000 seat, downtown arena for the NHL Devils to play in.  :(  I hope they get it built before the playoffs start.  :D

226912[/snapback]

and I thought I was stupid for buying an A. Smith #23 jersey. :(