HS football team goes to court Thursday to overturn referee's call

The world is changing. And with it, I think a lawsuit is more likely to come in the future.

For example, if the NFL is going to demand that the refs make all these calls all the time, then it's reasonable for the fans to expect the refs to do a good job at makin those calls.

And the refs have totally blown this year.

Maybe no one sues for a replay of the game, but a fan could definitely sue to get his 50k plus PSL seat license back due to the games being poorly officiated or the outcomes determined by the refs not the players.

and a fan would lose. your tickets very clearly give you no right to complain about pretty much anything involved.

the refs arent suddenly substantially worse, you just have access to 9 times the replays, all in high def and able to looked at live and zoomed in 900%, 7000 posters to discuss it with and hundreds of hours of programming each week able to point out every minor misstep.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports taught me one of life's greatest lessons as a kid, "life is not fair". I could see a league protest, but a law suit?

My other comment is that I've made the comment over the years that football rules are so complex you have to have a law degree to understand them all. This validates my point.

They need to start using high tech in lieu of refs. Why not put a chip in a puck or a ball so we don't need to have reviews every time? A light can go on or something when the object crosses a line or enters a goal... the tech is there, it's available and would speed the game along. Something like the the hawk-eye in tennis, where the review is instant and played on the big screen for the entire world to see. No more of this under-a-hood replay stuff, that's so archaic. You could use the same tech for first downs, out of bounds, marking where punts go out of bounds, offsides, etc etc....

Replay simply isn't good enough because the ruling is still subjective... ie Manziel fumble. If there was a chip in the ball, you could have an instant measurement of directional velocity.

The world is changing. And with it, I think a lawsuit is more likely to come in the future.

For example, if the NFL is going to demand that the refs make all these calls all the time, then it's reasonable for the fans to expect the refs to do a good job at makin those calls.

And the refs have totally blown this year.

Maybe no one sues for a replay of the game, but a fan could definitely sue to get his 50k plus PSL seat license back due to the games being poorly officiated or the outcomes determined by the refs not the players.

As NoSaint says, fans have been complaining about refs since games began. Every ticketholder (PSL, season, single) has, by purchasing the ticket, has waived any claims against the team or the NFL.

Bad calls happen, and I have never met a game official, regardless of sport, that does not regret making them. I think the issue is more about a coach who doesn't want his kids to suffer for a stupid thing he did. For the sake of all sports, I hope this lawsuit just gets thrown out by the judge...

They need to start using high tech in lieu of refs. Why not put a chip in a puck or a ball so we don't need to have reviews every time? A light can go on or something when the object crosses a line or enters a goal... the tech is there, it's available and would speed the game along. Something like the the hawk-eye in tennis, where the review is instant and played on the big screen for the entire world to see. No more of this under-a-hood replay stuff, that's so archaic. You could use the same tech for first downs, out of bounds, marking where punts go out of bounds, offsides, etc etc....

Replay simply isn't good enough because the ruling is still subjective... ie Manziel fumble. If there was a chip in the ball, you could have an instant measurement of directional velocity.

This is obviously where we're headed. But we aren't there yet.

Well as a HS ref (albeit for a different sport) this lawsuit has no leg to stand on. All games are concluded and final the minute the refs leave the field. All referee decisions are final.

It does suck that the ref made the wrong call. It does suck that the team lost because of it but I learned this at a young age: It is never one call or one play that cost you the game. It was your performance that allowed you to be in the situation where one call or one play cost you the game.

It is not easy reffing HS sports either. There is no instant replay to bail you out, every parent thinks there kid is d-1 talent, every coach thinks you are out to screw them and want the other team to win. This official will likely deal with threats and many other things that just aren't necessary including this lawsuit. This is another one of those situations where there will be no winners just losers.

It is not easy reffing HS sports either. There is no instant replay to bail you out, every parent thinks there kid is d-1 talent, every coach thinks you are out to screw them and want the other team to win. This official will likely deal with threats and many other things that just aren't necessary including this lawsuit. This is another one of those situations where there will be no winners just losers.

guy probably makes about $75 a game (give or take a 20) and little to nothing for his time studying the rules outside of that, and has to drive all over the district nights and weekends to do this, takes more than his fair of abuse from players/coaches/parents and hes going to have to show up in court because he re-played a down instead of enforcing it on the kickoff? its a bit lame.

Edited by NoSaint

guy probably makes about $75 a game (give or take a 20) and little to nothing for his time studying the rules outside of that, and has to drive all over the district nights and weekends to do this, takes more than his fair of abuse from players/coaches/parents and hes going to have to show up in court because he re-played a down instead of enforcing it on the kickoff? its a bit lame.

I get $88 plus mileage and would assume his is somewhere in the same range but you are correct. Some of these games are more than an hour away and the coaches/parents abuse is out of control. Coaches will yell at me all game long about every little call but as soon as the final whistle blows "great job ref." I have had parents threaten me, follow me to my car, etc...

Off topic but my favorite story from this year:

Before the game (I ref soccer)

coach says to me "we had a parent meeting to discuss with them not being as abusive to the officials so they shouldn't be a problem"

me "wow they get carried away huh? what is your record?" (thinking that they are a highly competitive team)

coach "1-8" :lol:

During the game one parent in particular is yelling all game long "offsides that's offsides" ALL. GAME. LONG.

son to mother "mom that isn't offsides"

mother "I don't even know what offsides is but if everyone else is going to yell for it I am too" :lol: :lol:

The short version:

• With one minute left, team has fourth down and is trailing by one point
  • QB throws pass to RB, and RB makes a dozen highlight-reel moves to score 60-yard touchdown
  • Coach runs along the sideline, cheering on the player, and accidentally runs over the linesman who is also on the sideline (not on the playing field)
  • The rulebook calls for a 5-yard penalty, to be assessed on the following kickoff
  • Instead, the referee calls an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, negating the touchdown
  • Fourth down is replayed, without gaining the first down or a touchdown
  • Team sues to overturn call, count the touchdown, and replay the last minute of game.

Article here:

http://newsok.com/do...article/5372882

See "related articles" on right side of page for additional info.

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting and I guess you could probably say that this type of thing was coming with todays world being such. One question I have from the other side is did the referee get any kind of reprimand? Sounds like he exercised unneeded poor judgment.

One question I have from the other side is did the referee get any kind of reprimand? Sounds like he exercised unneeded poor judgment.

Coaches fill out a report on refs at the end of each game (or are supposed to). On some occasions the other refs are supposed to as well. Also this will effect him going forward as a negative mark. He most likely will lose postseason games next year and the school can request not to have him do any of their games.

Bad calls happen, and I have never met a game official, regardless of sport, that does not regret making them. I think the issue is more about a coach who doesn't want his kids to suffer for a stupid thing he did. For the sake of all sports, I hope this lawsuit just gets thrown out by the judge...

There is a difference between making a bad call and making up your own rules. If the official did not follow the rule as it's written in the rule book he/she is allegedly enforcing, then going to court, while extreme, is justified. It's one thing to deal with a bad call. It's quite another to have something taken from you on a whim.

There is a difference between making a bad call and making up your own rules. If the official did not follow the rule as it's written in the rule book he/she is allegedly enforcing, then going to court, while extreme, is justified. It's one thing to deal with a bad call. It's quite another to have something taken from you on a whim.

This is ridiculous. Sorry kids, that HUMAN made a mistake, and now we will sue to get our way. this is a big problem in the world now, but lets make it worse by suing over High School football!!!!! give me a break.

I think he skipped that part. Dont these guys usually take a pocket rulebook with them? But I agree, there is no place for the courts in this kind of nonsense. I bet that they implement some kind of appeals process at the state athletic association level, though.

That's asinine. Obviously there is leeway for a ref at any level to call a stricter penalty if he feels he was run into on purpose.

btw, the whole 'refs should be perfect robots' mentality at play here isn't just a problem in sports. It's everywhere. Cops are now supposed to be perfect robots too. And doctors, and teachers, and soldiers, etc., etc. And then everyone acts all shocked and horrified when humans are actually......human. It's killing our society.

I think he skipped that part. Dont these guys usually take a pocket rulebook with them? But I agree, there is no place for the courts in this kind of nonsense. I bet that they implement some kind of appeals process at the state athletic association level, though.

You have no idea how intricate these rule books are though. There is a test for every official to take every year that is not a walk in the park. As for the pocket rule book comment could you imagine a ref anywhere saying hold on let me check the rule book? That is a terrible idea. Rulebooks are not allowed on the field or to be brought to an official at any time. I keep mine in my car but that is so after the game if I had a question about enforcement I can double check if I was right or not. More often than not I am but *gasp* sometimes I make the wrong call!

Is there a statute of limitations on bad calls? When I was in little league football we once lost a game when the other team got two defensive offsides penalties in a row, the refs walked them both off, then MEASURED for a first down and we came up a foot short. I want to sue and get that game back! The emotional scars have never left me!