Crazy Onside Kick Question - - Would This Be Doable And Legal?

Try it sometime. Stand 30 feet away from a target and kick a ball as hard as you can at it. See how many times you hit it. I'd be interested to know how you do.

Point taken. But I can't kick a 25 yard field goal either. Cuz I'm not a professional kicker. I know people who can kick pretty accurately though. My guess is that professional kickers and punters would both be within a couple feet of a guy consistently which is close enough to execute the play.

Point taken. But I can't kick a 25 yard field goal either. Cuz I'm not a professional kicker. I know people who can kick pretty accurately though. My guess is that professional kickers and punters would both be within a couple feet of a guy consistently which is close enough to execute the play.

Perhaps, but there has to be a level of control of an onside kick. You have to have a reasonable idea of where the ball is gonna bounce. If a kicker hits it as hard as he can that ball is gonna fly at 70mph and where it bounces after it hits an opposing player is anyone's guess. I'm not saying that wouldn't be fun to see, I just don't know how practical it is.

GO BILLS!!!

I absolutely agree that the type of kick I'm suggesting won't work if the kick goes high enough for anybody on the receiving "hands" team to call for a fair catch and actually get to the ball. I guess I need to focus on the receiving team's player placement a bit more to see if there are any spaces behind the front row that the kicker could sort of lob the ball into. I'm suggesting a fairly low "lob" just high enough to go over the first row of receivers. More like an offensive lob in tennis that goes just over the opponent's head (not a high defensive lob).

I've never been a placekicker (the one time I kicked off in high school gym class doesn't count). But I'm pretty sure I've seen talented soccer midfielders sort of scoop the ball over defenders' heads into the space behind the defenders and in front of the goalie so that a striker with a well-timed run can sprint to the spot where the ball lands before the defenders or goalie can get there.

I may not have described it very well in the OP, but what I'm suggesting is the same sort of slow, scooping kick for an onsides football play.

Maybe there just isn't enough open space anywhere behind the first row of receivers to give this play a chance.

Hate how the NFL altered onsides kicks by banning loading up one side of the field with a bunch of players. Onside kicks happen maybe a dozen times a year, CLEARLY, people were getting injured like crazy so they had to alter the rules.

OP: I think it would be hard for a kicker to control the ball like that. Also, since teh ball never makes contact with the ground the opposing team has the right to call a fair catch and avoid any hit. Any inside kick has to touch the ground to make it a "live" play.

I think the best onsides kicks are teh ones that hang in the air long enough for it to be a jump ball between the two teams, unfortunately its a coin flip getting the ball to bounce the right way and depends on field conditions, weather, and just plain luck.

It would be cool if someone figured out a better way to do the kicks...but the whole point of the exercise is for it to only be succesful 10% of the time. If it was sometihing that was easy to pull off then **** would get out of hand.

Hate how the NFL altered onsides kicks by banning loading up one side of the field with a bunch of players. Onside kicks happen maybe a dozen times a year, CLEARLY, people were getting injured like crazy so they had to alter the rules.

OP: I think it would be hard for a kicker to control the ball like that. Also, since teh ball never makes contact with the ground the opposing team has the right to call a fair catch and avoid any hit. Any inside kick has to touch the ground to make it a "live" play.

Did you just make that rule up? I don't recall that being part of the rule. It just has to go ten yards or be touched by a player on the receiving end, whichever comes first, then it becomes live.

Perhaps, but there has to be a level of control of an onside kick. You have to have a reasonable idea of where the ball is gonna bounce. If a kicker hits it as hard as he can that ball is gonna fly at 70mph and where it bounces after it hits an opposing player is anyone's guess. I'm not saying that wouldn't be fun to see, I just don't know how practical it is.

I think this is the part that increases the odds of the kicking team recovering it. If it was predictable, the receiving team could defend it better. If kicking teams had a 50/50 shot at it, that would increase their odds of a recovery.

I think it could work the maybe once out of the first few times you tried it. Then after that, the other teams would be wise to it and tell their guys to let it go out of bounds or let it go over their heads at least. You would have to kick it as low as possible and as hard as possible.

So this is what you do at night instead of sleeping? Why don't you just ask Darrell, he knows about law, maybe he is up on NFL rules too. BTW there was someone who did a wierd soccer type kick a couple weeks ago one leg kicks the ball out behind the other. ahh heres the vid except it doesn't play. http://www.nflrush.c...yle-onside-kick

I saw that sort of behind-the-back onside kick on ESPN highlights, so I know what you're talking about. That was even stranger than what I'm suggesting.

BTW, Darryl is a Renaissance moron. His lack of knowledge covers many fields, including football ones.