Iraq hero joins hallowed group

erynthered

I guess if anything, I hope the men and woman here on this board take the time to read this article, rather than passing on it just because its to long to read. folks, please take the time to read this, and remember this. We should all aspire to be so brave as Mr. Smith. He is our hero

I've heard that story before...but last I heard, he was in line for a Silver Star, not a CMH. I'm kind of glad they redecided that...

...kind of, because that level of commitment to duty and your fellow soldiers is extraordinarily common. There's people (some of whom I've had the great pleasure of meeting) who've performed just as heroically who'll never get that kind of recognition. Of course, they can't give a Medal of Honor to everyone...but however it is they decide that Sgt. A gets one whereas Sgt. B only gets a Bronze Star seems arbitrary and political enough to irk me at times...

I've heard that story before...but last I heard, he was in line for a Silver Star, not a CMH.  I'm kind of glad they redecided that...

...kind of, because that level of commitment to duty and your fellow soldiers is extraordinarily common.  There's people (some of whom I've had the great pleasure of meeting) who've performed just as heroically who'll never get that kind of recognition.  Of course, they can't give a Medal of Honor to everyone...but however it is they decide that Sgt. A gets one whereas Sgt. B only gets a Bronze Star seems arbitrary and political enough to irk me at times...

226781[/snapback]

There's the rub Tom. There's a few in my family that have got the Bronze star, doesnt matter. We'd all rather have had them rock our grand kids on their knee.

Its moot, dont hurt your head. Smith is a hero, we all need hero's. Though, some seem to think that sports figures are the ones to emulate, sad.

There's the rub Tom. There's a few in my family that have got the Bronze star, doesnt matter. We'd all rather have had them rock our grand kids on their knee.

Its moot, dont hurt your head. Smith is a hero, we all need hero's. Though, some seem to thing that sports figures are the ones to emulate, sad.

226810[/snapback]

Met a guy about two months ago, arm in brace complicated enough that you'd wonder if his arm wasn't robotic. Turned out his story was:

He was a doctor with a unit in Iraq. One day, driving under a bridge in a Humvee (not-hardened, canvas top) with two other guys, they take AK-47 fire from the bridge. He nearly gets his arm shot off (literally), other two guys go down with rounds in the torso. The now one-armed doctor grabs his M-16, takes out the shooter, administers emergency first aid to the other two, throws them back into the Humvee, climbs behind the wheel and hauls ass back to a secure location (don't know where, probably back into the Green Zone) and medical attention. Eighteen months later, they've managed to save his arm, even though he's still learning to use it again.

Everyone pretty much agreed the man deserved a Silver Star, and were I to read a Medal of Honor citation with his story, I wouldn't think it undeserved...but he only got a Bronze Star. However - and I get your point - that he was having dinner at the time I met him with the two guys he saved had to be a far better reward than even a CMH would have been...

Met a guy about two months ago, arm in brace complicated enough that you'd wonder if his arm wasn't robotic.  Turned out his story was:

He was a doctor with a unit in Iraq.  One day, driving under a bridge in a Humvee (not-hardened, canvas top) with two other guys, they take AK-47 fire from the bridge.  He nearly gets his arm shot off (literally), other two guys go down with rounds in the torso.  The now one-armed doctor grabs his M-16, takes out the shooter, administers emergency first aid to the other two, throws them back into the Humvee, climbs behind the wheel and hauls ass back to a secure location (don't know where, probably back into the Green Zone) and medical attention.  Eighteen months later, they've managed to save his arm, even though he's still learning to use it again. 

Everyone pretty much agreed the man deserved a Silver Star, and were I to read a Medal of Honor citation with his story, I wouldn't think it undeserved...but he only got a Bronze Star.  However - and I get your point - that he was having dinner at the time I met him with the two guys he saved had to be a far better reward than even a CMH would have been...

226817[/snapback]

Thanks Tom, good story. My father told me of how they we’re over run by 50,000 in Korea. The things that he did, were, IN my mind were, MOH credibility. Scary stories, But, I’m his son. And he’s my MOH winner

The fear I have is that this story, and then some, will be twisted and spun Hollywood style. The truth is told by the man you met, not what we see on the Boob tube, or the silver screen.

Cheers

Thanks Tom, good story. My father told me of how they we’re over run by 50,000 in Korea. The things that he did, were, IN my mind were, MOH credibility. Scary stories, But, I’m his son. And he’s my MOH winner

The fear I have is that this story, and then some, will be twisted and spun Hollywood style. The truth is told by the man you met, not what we see on the Boob tube, or the silver screen.

Cheers

226824[/snapback]

Ultimately, the "truth" will be not even the made-for-TV movie they create from this story, but the media's deconstruction of the fictionalized version of an actual event (e.g. Jessica Lynch). "Reality" and "modern America" are completely antithetical concepts...

...a statement that I fully expect will be contested most strongly by those that watch the likes of "Survivor" and "The Apprentice". I eagerly anticipate the irony... :(

Met a guy about two months ago, arm in brace complicated enough that you'd wonder if his arm wasn't robotic.  Turned out his story was:

He was a doctor with a unit in Iraq.  One day, driving under a bridge in a Humvee (not-hardened, canvas top) with two other guys, they take AK-47 fire from the bridge.  He nearly gets his arm shot off (literally), other two guys go down with rounds in the torso.  The now one-armed doctor grabs his M-16, takes out the shooter, administers emergency first aid to the other two, throws them back into the Humvee, climbs behind the wheel and hauls ass back to a secure location (don't know where, probably back into the Green Zone) and medical attention.  Eighteen months later, they've managed to save his arm, even though he's still learning to use it again. 

Everyone pretty much agreed the man deserved a Silver Star, and were I to read a Medal of Honor citation with his story, I wouldn't think it undeserved...but he only got a Bronze Star.  However - and I get your point - that he was having dinner at the time I met him with the two guys he saved had to be a far better reward than even a CMH would have been...

226817[/snapback]

Tom, no offense but you don;t know how the military works then. There is a progression to medals. Typically you have to work your way up. Do something heroic get a bronze star, next get silver, etc.... That is normal. Even in "non-combat" you typically have to been awarded an Acheivement medal before a commendation medal before an Meritorious Service Medal.

Same goes in combat. I am betting if you go back 1stSgt Smith already has at least a bronze star if not a bronze, silver or something higher.

Just the way of the military.

There is no medal that can replace a life, but at least SFC Smith's heroism will be honored forever. There are at two other soldiers and at least three Marines being considered for the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq. There is also one sailor nominated for actions in Iraq. All of these men paid the ultimate sacrifice. We will be forever indebted to them.

Tom, no offense but you don;t know how the military works then.  There is a progression to medals.  Typically you have to work your way up.  Do something heroic get a bronze star, next get silver, etc....  That is normal.  Even in "non-combat" you typically have to been awarded an Acheivement medal before a commendation medal before an Meritorious Service Medal. 

Same goes in combat.  I am betting if you go back 1stSgt Smith already has at least a bronze star if not a bronze, silver or something higher. 

Just the way of the military.

226993[/snapback]

????

There have been instances before of someone being awarded a CMH without having a Bronze or Silver Star, haven't there?

????

There have been instances before of someone being awarded a CMH without having a Bronze or Silver Star, haven't there?

227018[/snapback]

Very rare instances and usually way above and beyond anything you probably have read. Superhuman type stuff. Shot 80 times and still got up dual .50's shooting with stubs of arms had hands shot off and wipes out an entire enemy battalion by himself.