Real Penalty Yards

The Big Cat

i said in another thread, it looks legit to me...also Searcy blocks in the back a bit on the 36.

But again, i agree not 100% definitive from that angle.

J

hard to say. anyone arguing that he definitely did not at any point in the return based on that replay had their minds made up before clicking the link though.

Heres a simple question. When was the last time that the Bills got a really bad call in their favor that resulted directly in their winning the game unfairly? I know there probably have been a couple through the years but I cannot recall one remotely recently.

Edited by Livinginthepast

I'm not saying the referees had too much influence on this game. I'm also not saying the coaches should get a pass for not having their players conduct themselves with a bit more discipline. But I'm certain the truth exists somewhere in between (head butts, theatrical bows and fist bumps aside).

Here's what the stat sheet would have you believe the penalty breakdown looked like:

Buffalo-11 for 98 yards

Denver-5 for 45 yards

Already those numbers are a bit lopsided, unless we buy into the notion that one team had half the discipline as the other. Again, head butts, theatrical bows and fist bumps aside.

But here's how those penalties actually played out:

Buffalo-11 for 207

Denver-5 for 45

Now THAT'S a pretty lopsided impact for penalties to have, if you ask me.

Additional yards not counted in the penalty yards actually recorded:

BUF: 14 additional yards on the Robey illegal contact since the drive was then sustained, giving the Broncos an opportunity to score

BUF: 40 additional yards for the Kyle Williams hold following the interception since the return went to the Denver 20, but the drive instead took over from our own 40, a difference of 50 yards.

BUF: 34 additional yards for the pass interference on Stephon Gilmore that gave them an opportunity to continue the drive after what should have been a third down stop. 15 yard penalty would never have happened if they got the initial call right

BUF: 21 additional yards on the phantom unnecessary roughness penalty that brought Gilmore's INT return from the DEN 38 all the way back to the BUF 26

I count zero instances wherein calls against Denver had the same positive outcomes for Buffalo. If I'm missing any, please post them here,

The Urbik hold ended up costing 35 yards as well as it came on Freddy's 25 yard catch and run. "Real Penalty Yards" or "RPY" should be a regular stat line. We lost a TON of field position in that game as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

The Urbik hold ended up costing 35 yards as well as it came on Freddy's 25 yard catch and run. "Real Penalty Yards" or "RPY" should be a regular stat line. We lost a TON of field position in that game as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but that was close enough to being a callable infraction, I opted not to count it.

But to your other point, I'm sort of surprised it's not. It's one thing to be consistently penalized, it's another thing entirely when those penalties are consistently so high-impact.

Nothing.

Also Seattle and New England* are ahead of the Bills.

Good teams know how to cheat. The ones who want it the most cheat the most. They hold the most, they hit the hardest, they make contact more because they want to play football and realize that only 25% of the penalties will be noticed.

We get a lot of penalties on boneheaded things. Good teams like Seattle and New England get those types of calls that our DB's got yesterday, but they also get away with calls that our guys don't do. Leodis committed PI or DI on over half of his coverage's

Let alone one that results in a FIFTY yard set back. FIFTY yards.

FIFTY !@#$ING YARDS.

I never ever blame the refs, it's a losers' mentality but man this game was frustrating. Just absolutely giant field position affecting, momentum killing calls on such trivial little happens-every-play type of stuff- this play being the prime example. And then the Corey Graham call- does anyone know what he did in retaliation for getting chop blocked that warranted that penalty? I guess I've just kind of come to terms with the fact that we would've lost anyway but man this game left a sour taste in my mouth.

I never ever blame the refs, it's a losers' mentality but man this game was frustrating. Just absolutely giant field position affecting, momentum killing calls on such trivial little happens-every-play type of stuff- this play being the prime example. And then the Corey Graham call- does anyone know what he did in retaliation for getting chop blocked that warranted that penalty? I guess I've just kind of come to terms with the fact that we would've lost anyway but man this game left a sour taste in my mouth.

You can be pushed into the mentality easily watching the NFL officiating-not just Bills games.

I don't know where that comment originated on them calling the wrong number on Robey's penalty. I was at the game, and I saw Robey make a great play, and then the flag popped out. They called illegal use of hands on number 37. The replay on the scoreboard revealed that it was not an infraction, but bull crap call. On Robey. Where did that rumor come from that it was on Aaron Williams? I looked at the game later and didn't see that anyway. The ref who threw the flag was looking at Robey when he tossed the flag.

One of my favorite moments was after the bs call on Gilmore, the receiver waited till the calls were made and stood up and took a bow to the crowd. Good performance. I'm still not sure what the call was on Hughes. Did he yell at the ref? Here's the deal: If they got the call right, he would not have had to yell at the ref. So the ref should have penalized himself for being a dick head.

Here's a hint: If the Bills ever have a running play of over 20 yards against a good team, you will see a flag. The penalty on Urbik might have been a hold, but there is that kind of deal on every stinking play. However, whatever happened had nothing to do with Freddie's run. It was all him busting tackles and making moves. Great play 32 yard flag, really. Now we're up over 250 yards in actual yards lost due to incompetent officiating. The Broncos only got 308 yards in the entire game.

Denver is a better team playing at home with perhaps the greatest quarterback in history. They do not need help from the officials. Manning would have found a way to win that game if he had to. We all know that. I'm a little sad for spending all that money and time on getting to the game and watching the officiating debacle in person. Bad enough when you're at home. It was so bad I was getting texts from my sister in North Carolina about the calls.