Bills Sign WR Deonte Thompson; Mike Williams Waived to IR

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. Now what do we do with him?

trade him for a 6th!

He'll very likely be waived just after the league year begins to avoid paying him any guaranteed money.

Once healthy it's an injury settlement. I'd guess by end of next week?

correct me if I am wrong, but if we reach an injury settlement with him we are off the hook for cap hit next year.

trade him for a 6th!

correct me if I am wrong, but if we reach an injury settlement with him we are off the hook for cap hit next year.

If he's not healthy enough to play we wouldn't need an injury settlement or pay him anything. If he is, it's only the last few weeks. We could offer him half of the money he is owed so he could join another team and he could decide if he wants to take it or not. Although there may not be enough time for him to join another team. There may be some rule from the NFL that prevents him from signing immediately because he was injured.

Not owe him anything except what we owe him the rest of this year I meant.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Really we've seen it reported like 3 different ways by semi credible sources since lunch time today, haven't we?

Bills place Mike Williams on IR

Williams remains under contract with the Bills through 2018. His deal includes a $5.2 million base salary next season that does not become fully guaranteed until the third day of the league year in March.

If the Bills want to part ways with Williams, they may agree to an injury settlement and release him from injured reserve. Otherwise, he will rejoin the Bills' roster in the offseason.

ESPN has changed their reporting to match La Canfora.

Not meaningfully. At best, MW would be situationally used. Someone loses reps if you use your fourth and fifth WR's.

Like a situation where we prefer scoring a TD to kicking an FG? I realize that is rare with Marrone, but it does happen.

For what?

God only knows. He has had rotating scapegoats since he arrived. If I had to guess I'd pin in on deep seeded insecurity but I'm not not a psychrotologist.

Like a situation where we prefer scoring a TD to kicking an FG? I realize that is rare with Marrone, but it does happen.

God only knows. He has had rotating scapegoats since he arrived. If I had to guess I'd pin in on deep seeded insecurity but I'm not not a psychrotologist.

Sure. That's actually what I meant, but I haven't seen Williams too active in the red zone. So, to me, it's a non-issue.

And I don't understand the scapegoat thing. Do you know what a scapegoat is?

I'm talking this year, on the Bills. Let's try to stay focused. Who has produced more this year?

Was MW seeing limited snaps when he was playing with EJ for the first four games? Or was he just not producing? Or both?

But you're right, MW has had a better career. So has Randy Moss, but I think Hogan has produced more than him this year.

Why not focus on the 4 seconds when Hogan was running for a touchdown last weekend? At that exact moment in time, for those 4 seconds, he was the NFL MVP and Marrone was Vince Lombardi.

Also came to this conclusion the other day, Chris Hogan = Josh Reed. That realization is especially scary when you look at this offense compared to Jaurons.

I hope Josh Reed's mom doesn't read this board or this it what will sound like as she tries to get to sleep tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONb28aPRmBI

And I don't understand the scapegoat thing. Do you know what a scapegoat is?

It's a goat that got away who is also a poor speller.

Edited by 4merper4mer

A new head coach might play into him staying. This offense can and should be better. Solid RB play, efficient TEs, and a talented WR corps points to a team that needs a better QB to make them a playoff team. I would have loved to see Williams get a chance to shine.

Wait...Rodak was wrong?

Remember this article and all TSW rage?

WR Mike Williams: When Williams arrived via trade in April, my first reaction was that he could be a top target in the Bills' offense. I'm less convinced now. Williams didn't stand out in OTAs and seeing him in action, there isn't a particular skill that he brings to the table that is different from the rest of the receiver group. If Watkins and Robert Woods become fixtures on the outside and Chris Hogan can continue to contribute in the slot, Williams starts to slide down the depth chart. The Bills will keep Marquise Goodwin and Marcus Easley on their final roster, so Williams will have to fight Hogan and T.J. Graham for the final spot. He could change my opinion in minicamp or early in training camp, but for right now I wouldn't call his spot on the team a sure bet.

Hey give the man his props. Eerily prescient.

Remember this article and all TSW rage?

WR Mike Williams: When Williams arrived via trade in April, my first reaction was that he could be a top target in the Bills' offense. I'm less convinced now. Williams didn't stand out in OTAs and seeing him in action, there isn't a particular skill that he brings to the table that is different from the rest of the receiver group. If Watkins and Robert Woods become fixtures on the outside and Chris Hogan can continue to contribute in the slot, Williams starts to slide down the depth chart. The Bills will keep Marquise Goodwin and Marcus Easley on their final roster, so Williams will have to fight Hogan and T.J. Graham for the final spot. He could change my opinion in minicamp or early in training camp, but for right now I wouldn't call his spot on the team a sure bet.

Hey give the man his props. Eerily prescient.

And consistent. He consistently writes/posts/tweets about things that flow against the stream of fan happiness. This report included.

Except it was wrong. He wasn't playing because he was still hurt. Until the end of training camp. That's why his skills were not on display. Even Marrone acknowledged it. He started on opening day and played the first four games or so. Hogan got no snaps at all. Nor did Easley. Then just before the New England game, which was 5 or 6 something happened and he disappeared into the Doug House. Not that he was playing great but no one on our offense was the first four five games except flashes of Sammy.

Except it was wrong. He wasn't playing because he was still hurt. Until the end of training camp. That's why his skills were not on display. Even Marrone acknowledged it. He started on opening day and played the first four games or so. Hogan got no snaps at all. Nor did Easley. Then just before the New England game, which was 5 or 6 something happened and he disappeared into the Doug House. Not that he was playing great but no one on our offense was the first four five games except flashes of Sammy.

After the Houston game, MW went public with his criticisms of Hackett's offense, saying stuff like they didn't prepare for anything Houston showed them, they were too late to adjust, etc. That drew the ire of the coaching staff to be sure. He played vs. Detroit, IIRC, but a week later he was scratched vs. the Pats and then went public with his trade demands after the game. Gotta think that pretty much sealed his fate with this staff.

I wonder how those two incidents would sit with any coaching staff.

GO BILLS!!!