Bills Sign WR Deonte Thompson; Mike Williams Waived to IR

the thing is - marrone knew he was a pain. he was a pain for him in syracuse. was a pain in tampa bay and why the new regime was willing to deal him -- you dont make this move expecting him not to have some baggage. especially coming home to buffalo where there will be mixed influences at best.

so unless it was a colossal pain that we didnt hear about, i feel like you know what you are getting and should play him

I agree and I believe that if he were more of a pain then previous there would be some reporting on it. Also, it is not like there are not other players that have some issues now or have some injury issues. The whole situation is just bizarre and the media has also been scratching their collective heads about it. If they were reporting he was horrible in practice then there would be no debate over starting Hogan. But apparently he was moved to the practice squad so there would be no comparison.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing is - marrone knew he was a pain. he was a pain for him in syracuse. was a pain in tampa bay and why the new regime was willing to deal him -- you dont make this move expecting him not to have some baggage. especially coming home to buffalo where there will be mixed influences at best.

so unless it was a colossal pain that we didnt hear about, i feel like you know what you are getting and should play him

from what I recall, Tampa was trying to trade him and they were the ones who called the Bills. Whaley pulled the trigger for a 6th, but first got Marrone's ok knowing their history. Marrone agreed to give it a shot.

I don't think Marrone sought him out by any means.

I hear ya. Which leads me to an earlier point I made; maybe Hogan just outplayed and outhustled Williams in practice. Maybe Hogan is trusted more than Williams. Don't know, but something is up with him. I'll give Marrone the benefit of the doubt. Again, Tampa let him go for a 6th rd pick.

you might benefit from reading the PM i sent you.

fact: teams take chances on known problems all the time. some turn it around, other don't.

I hear ya. Which leads me to an earlier point I made; maybe Hogan just outplayed and outhustled Williams in practice. Maybe Hogan is trusted more than Williams. Don't know, but something is up with him. I'll give Marrone the benefit of the doubt. Again, Tampa let him go for a 6th rd pick.

Lovie Smith was brought in as a new sheriff in town and was going to change the culture of the Bucs. Williams had three or four off the field issues (non of which were all that bad), and had been hurt almost the entire year. He also had a rather large backloaded contract that Lovie and the team was going to deal with. Smith wanted a few other guys gone IIRC, too. It was a symbolic gesture as much as anything.

i meant even leaguewide

also...15 minutes till MW clears waiver wires...no?

as would be expected -- with a large money deal going forward, i dont think most expected him to be claimed. id expect a 1-2 year deal, worth not a ton. i hate the over use of the term, but a classic "show me" contract.

i meant even leaguewide

also...15 minutes till MW clears waiver wires...no?

Yup on both counts. No one is going to assume that contract now, not knowing if can perform. At the time, it was a very good move and idea, 3.5m a year for two years for a guy who had proven without question that he could play well in this league, without great quarterbacking, and doing to one thing that was missing from the Bills cadre of WR, jump up and out muscle or out time or out jump DBs.

He did it in the first game and won it for us. So we decided to bench him. ;)

Yup on both counts. No one is going to assume that contract now, not knowing if can perform. At the time, it was a very good move and idea, 3.5m a year for two years for a guy who had proven without question that he could play well in this league, without great quarterbacking, and doing to one thing that was missing from the Bills cadre of WR, jump up and out muscle or out time or out jump DBs.

You realize BigC ais to come in here as soon as he clears telling us how big his D is because no one claimed him?

Someone is going so sign him in the off season to a 1-2 year deal for far less than the 8MM he was owed.

But they can "Be right" so they can have this one.

Edited by CountDorkula

You realize BigC ais to come in here as soon as he clears telling us how big his D is because no one claimed him?

Someone is going so sign him in the off season to a 1-2 year deal for far less than the 8MM he was owed.

But they can "Be right" so they can have this one.

It ain't easy being breezy.

And if so, they will look as foolish as they have looked so far. :D

I don't think either of them are THAT dumb though. That would take a total lack of understanding of how the NFL works.

Jeremy White seems like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown watching the QB play from Sunday for his all-22 analysis.

He mentions the offseason refrain of letting WR's go up and make a play and how we've seen virtually none of that this season.

Now, I know everyone here will completely over-complicate this and say it's because Marrone/Hackett are being obtuse by refusing to adhere to the GM's vision, but it's much simpler than that: our QB's suck.

Not throwing the ball and giving WR's a chance is what cost EJ his job. It's about to cost Orton his, too.

I have a feeling the 2015 QB's will be EJ and ____ and _____.

Jeremy White seems like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown watching the QB play from Sunday for his all-22 analysis.

He mentions the offseason refrain of letting WR's go up and make a play and how we've seen virtually none of that this season.

Now, I know everyone here will completely over-complicate this and say it's because Marrone/Hackett are being obtuse by refusing to adhere to the GM's vision, but it's much simpler than that: our QB's suck.

Not throwing the ball and giving WR's a chance is what cost EJ his job. It's about to cost Orton his, too.

I have a feeling the 2015 QB's will be EJ and ____ and _____.

Orton has been pretty bad lately for sure. I still believe strongly, and it has been shown repeatedly, that when we spread the offense out and put our playmakers in and even force the ball to them, Watkins and Woods in particular, they make plays. That's what Williams and Goodwin did too before we stopped doing it (mostly in years past I am talking with them, but again, that first game in OT we threw the ball up and MW went and got it and we won). As coaches, you can make your QBs do certain things.

Orton has been pretty bad lately for sure. I still believe strongly, and it has been shown repeatedly, that when we spread the offense out and put our playmakers in and even force the ball to them, Watkins and Woods in particular, they make plays. That's what Williams and Goodwin did too before we stopped doing it (mostly in years past I am talking with them, but again, that first game in OT we threw the ball up and MW went and got it and we won). As coaches, you can make your QBs do certain things.

But why would the organization say publicly that's what they want, then tell QB's behind the scenes (as you seem to be suggesting) not to do that?