McDonald’s U.S. Sales Drop the Most in at Least a Decade

truth on hold

Seriously, I remember as a kid walking to the McDonald's with friends. Would get the Big Mac combo and a cheeseburger for 4.01$.

Think the combo alone is like 8.00 now. No thanks

Ha..i remember when you spent more than $1 at McDonalds your old man was gunna kick your ass halfway to China.

Think the real problem in sales decline is people feel the food is not as healthy as a Chipolte, Panera, etc. I think they call it "fast, Healthy" concept.

They have even started a new campaign to address this...pretty novel and interesting really, called "our Food, Your Questions"

http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/us/en/your_questions/our_food.html

should be interesting to see if it works

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely...it's got it's place

I am not a huge fan of McDonald's.

That said, one of my pet peeves is when people (usually, affluent people) turn their noses up at McD's and other fast food. I can do without the elitist criticism of fast food. Eating a Big Mac five times a year is not going to kill you.

Ha..i remember when you spent more than $1 at McDonalds your old man was gunna kick your ass halfway to China.

Think the real problem in sales decline is people feel the food is not as healthy as a Chipolte, Panera, etc. I think they call it "fast, Healthy" concept.

They have even started a new campaign to address this...pretty novel and interesting really, called "our Food, Your Questions"

http://www.mcdonalds...s/our_food.html

should be interesting to see if it works

Fast/Healthy is exactly why Subway is now the king of fast food.

Fast/Healthy is exactly why Subway is now the king of fast food.

Funny, i would trust McDonalds food more than Subways....I just look at Subway meats, think they don't look like meat, and say no thanks. I have friends that love them. They will prolly live longer with all the preservatives in them now :lol:

Edited by plenzmd1

Funny, i would trust McDonalds food more than Subways....I just look at Subway meats, think they don't look like meat, and say no thanks. I have friends that love them. They will prolly live longer with all the preservatives in them now :lol:

I don't know how Subway can even survive in the Rochester area with the abundance of very good, locally owned delis and sub shops. Mind boggling why anyone would eat subway when theres a Dibellas within a mile or two.

For fast food burgers, P. Terrys > Whataburger > In N Out > Everything else.

P. Terry's? Whataburger? I take it that you live in or near Austin? If so, ever been to Dan's or Fran's?

I don't know how Subway can even survive in the Rochester area with the abundance of very good, locally owned delis and sub shops. Mind boggling why anyone would eat subway when theres a Dibellas within a mile or two.

it's sort of the same thing in south & central Texas with Taco Bell. They're all over the place, and they don't hold a candle to the local stuff like Torchy's.

Healthy is not a word I would use to describe Subway's food. Only the veggies are healthy...everything else is heavily processed with all kinds of crazy chemicals.

It seems healthy relative to McD's, Taco Bell or the King. They've got Americans convinced that their bagged, low quality ingredients are "Fresh" and fresh means healthy. Plus some guy lost all that weight by doing nothing but eating sub sandwiches and RG3 and Jay Glazer and that figure skater with the awful soul patch love it! It must be healthy.

It seems healthy relative to McD's, Taco Bell or the King. They've got Americans convinced that their bagged, low quality ingredients are "Fresh" and fresh means healthy. Plus some guy lost all that weight by doing nothing but eating sub sandwiches and RG3 and Jay Glazer and that figure skater with the awful soul patch love it! It must be healthy.

What's even funnier is how so many people think it's specific to "fast food" restaurants. All major chains' foods are bagged, frozen crap.

As stated previously, they have their place. I enjoy TB and McD's once in a while, but usually out of convenience. I can't tell you the last time I went to a major chain restaurant and sat down/got served a meal. Screw that.

What's even funnier is how so many people think it's specific to "fast food" restaurants. All major chains' foods are bagged, frozen crap.

As stated previously, they have their place. I enjoy TB and McD's once in a while, but usually out of convenience. I can't tell you the last time I went to a major chain restaurant and sat down/got served a meal. Screw that.

AppleBee's, Chili's, Olive Garden and the like do not make food. They assemble food. I've heard Cheesecake Factory actually engages in activity similar to cooking but they're still loathsome (f!@#ing 2 hour wait for a chain restaurant, 30 page menu half of which is god damned ads). Why people pay those prices when you can have actual food prepared at any mom and pop joint is a mystery to me.

AppleBee's, Chili's, Olive Garden and the like do not make food. They assemble food. I've heard Cheesecake Factory actually engages in activity similar to cooking but they're still loathsome (f!@#ing 2 hour wait for a chain restaurant, 30 page menu half of which is god damned ads). Why people pay those prices when you can have actual food prepared at any mom and pop joint is a mystery to me.

Exactly. Dinner for (2) at Applebee's with a couple beers and a couple glasses of wine + tip is now upwards of $80 or more. Asinine.

!@#$, I hate Cheesecake Factory.

Edited by LeviF91

It is not mind-boggling.

The only reason people eat Subway is because they are lazy to go further, or it is raining outside, or there is nothing else around and they are in a time crunch.

I have never known anyone who has willingly gone to Subway over another viable sandwich place; you go there strictly out of necessity.

The subway closest to where I work is next door to DiBellas and its packed. The wait is the same. Maybe its the cost savings of a $5 footlong or their daily special which attracts the price conscious consumer. There is no convenience factor in the Henrietta area choosing Subway over DiBellas.

I got sick a few years ago eating McDonalds, sicker than I've ever been eating fast food. Since then I can barely look at it without feeling queasy. I will get a burger from Wendys or Burger King on occasion if I am traveling or something but I only get fries from McD's.

Like others have said, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks at 5 guys or Chipotle or something like that than eat McD's/ BK/ Wendys. Also Chain restaurants like applebees, olive garden ext are awful. Rather spend the extra money/ time if I'm gonna go out

I bet it is the wait time. DiBella's "system" is terrible. I feel like I have to stand in three lines, and then am aimlessly drifting with a number in my hand.

I have no issue with their system, but I'm a regular. The uninitiated struggle. Any of our LA friends who've been to Bay Cities would say DiBellas is a walk in the park

Exactly. Dinner for (2) at Applebee's with a couple beers and a couple glasses of wine + tip is now upwards of $80 or more. Asinine.

cmon, that cant be right...can it?

My wife and i go out a lot and $80 gets a lot at a nice place.....now granted that one drink a pice...and the booze is usually what kills ya

. But i see ads all the time "2 eat for $20" or something for Applebees no?

cmon, that cant be right...can it?

My wife and i go out a lot and $80 gets a lot at a nice place.....now granted that one drink a pice...and the booze is usually what kills ya

. But i see ads all the time "2 eat for $20" or something for Applebees no?

Those 2 for 20 meals limit your menu options. Let's go meal-for-meal:

For giggles, I looked up prices for Applebees and for our favorite local fresh food eatery, The Log Jam.

Shared appetizer

(2) 9 oz. sirloin dinners

2 draft beers

2 glasses of wine

20% tip

Applebees - $84

Log Jam - $103

So for an extra $20 for a dinner for 2, we get:

Exponentially better atmosphere - candlelight, fireplace, dinner music, etc.

Fresh food, prepared by a chef

The greatest salad bar known to man (this is just my opinion, but ask Mead, it's a nice one)

Far better service

I think it's worth it and it's why I refuse to go to dinner at a chain restaurant.

Healthy is not a word I would use to describe Subway's food. Only the veggies are healthy...everything else is heavily processed with all kinds of crazy chemicals.

I probably should have said "healthy" with quotes, but I think you know what I mean.

I eat there a couple times a year, but if I'm going out to spend $5-10 on a McDonalds meal, I might as well go a place that's 100x better, for $10-15, or just stay at home. McDonalds is only good for convenient calorie intake, and that's about it.

Yeah I wasn't really aware people are going there because of the "quality" of the menu choices