McDonald’s U.S. Sales Drop the Most in at Least a Decade

truth on hold

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 2 for 20 meals limit your menu options. Let's go meal-for-meal:

For giggles, I looked up prices for Applebees and for our favorite local fresh food eatery, The Log Jam.

Shared appetizer

(2) 9 oz. sirloin dinners

2 draft beers

2 glasses of wine

20% tip

Applebees - $84

Log Jam - $103

So for an extra $20 for a dinner for 2, we get:

Exponentially better atmosphere - candlelight, fireplace, dinner music, etc.

Fresh food, prepared by a chef

The greatest salad bar known to man (this is just my opinion, but ask Mead, it's a nice one)

Far better service

I think it's worth it and it's why I refuse to go to dinner at a chain restaurant.

That's insane.

By contrast, I'm having dinner at Russell's Steakhouse in Williamsville tomorrow. They have a "Dinner for Two" menu (which you can order even if there's only one of you) for $39/person that includes:

Choice of house salad, Caesar salad, French onion soup, soup du jour

Choice of Chefs Potato Du Jour, Baked Potato, Fingerling Potato Hash

Choice of entree (rack of lamb, salmon, free range whole chicken, 8 oz filet [adds $3], 10 oz. filet [adds $6], 14 oz. pork chop)

Choice of dessert

Quality of the food is excellent.

I probably should have said "healthy" with quotes, but I think you know what I mean.

Yeah, I do.

Edited by thebandit27

I am not a huge fan of McDonald's.

That said, one of my pet peeves is when people (usually, affluent people) turn their noses up at McD's and other fast food. I can do without the elitist criticism of fast food. Eating a Big Mac five times a year is not going to kill you.

I agree 100%. I'm the guy that makes his own cheese, cures his own sausages and cooked a multiple course food fest for some big food and wine friends this weekend. But every not and then (a couple of times a year) I have to eat that stuff. The craving just pops out of nowhere usually while I'm driving and I have to find a drive through ASAP. Now having said that if Jack in the Box is nearer than McDonalds Jack get my $$ every time.

Trust me, i get it. Thats why i am shocked dinner at Applebees for two is $84 friggen dollars!!!!

WOW

It was a dinner at Olive Garden that drove me over the edge. Yes, the food tastes good. But just knowing it was made by cutting a plastic bag open with a pair of scissors then heated in a pan (at least I think it's heated in pan) rubbed me wrong. Then the service was over-the-top schitty. Some arrogant little punk with zero people skills. And then the bill came. That was when I knew I was done with the chains.

Now I'll occasionally stop at a a TGI Friday's or a 99 for lunch with my family. But that's when we're out shopping, etc., and we want something more than fast food, but still want to save a little money. But the dinners? Done. No way in hell.

all ****ty restaurants IMO that I would not give one canadian cent to. So I went to Buffalo last week and ate at Schwebels, Charley the Butcher, Duff's, and the Original Pancake House. Much better then the above ****

For the record, The Original Pancake House is a national chain. And, no, I am not confusing it with IHOP.

We have a couple Original Pancake House's here in San Jose. Nothing can beat their Apple Pancake. YUM!

For the record, The Original Pancake House is a national chain. And, no, I am not confusing it with IHOP.

We have a couple Original Pancake House's here in San Jose. Nothing can beat their Apple Pancake. YUM!

Yes, that is one chain that I will go to any day of the week. The whole menu is spectacular.

Although I admit that my desire to eat local tends to drive me toward Break'n Eggs in Williamsville in lieu of the OPH at least some of the time.

Also, if you've never tried it, the OPH's Strawberry Waffle a la mode is incredible...it's like eating happiness.

AppleBee's, Chili's, Olive Garden and the like do not make food. They assemble food. I've heard Cheesecake Factory actually engages in activity similar to cooking but they're still loathsome (f!@#ing 2 hour wait for a chain restaurant, 30 page menu half of which is god damned ads). Why people pay those prices when you can have actual food prepared at any mom and pop joint is a mystery to me.

How people in Buffalo can choose these chains over the abundance of amazing restaurants in the area is beside me. The only chain I really go to is Outback, but that's only because my buddy is a bartender there. I drive by Applebee's on a Friday night and the entire parking lot is full. Amazing.

AppleBee's, Chili's, Olive Garden and the like do not make food. They assemble food. I've heard Cheesecake Factory actually engages in activity similar to cooking but they're still loathsome (f!@#ing 2 hour wait for a chain restaurant, 30 page menu half of which is god damned ads). Why people pay those prices when you can have actual food prepared at any mom and pop joint is a mystery to me.

How people in Buffalo can choose these chains over the abundance of amazing restaurants in the area is beside me. The only chain I really go to is Outback, but that's only because my buddy is a bartender there. I drive by Applebee's on a Friday night and the entire parking lot is full. Amazing.

Restaurant chains .... As in full service, sit down, get waited on ... Do nothing for me. That said I don't think buffalo has anywhere near an abundance of amazing restaurants.

What they do have is an abundance of amazing local "junk food" places (pizza, wings,subs, etc.) that compete with crappy fast food places like mcdonalds. Other than lack of drive thru I can't see why one wouldnt consistently choose the local joints.

Edited by JTSP

Restaurant chains .... As in full service, sit down, get waited on ... Do nothing for me. That said I don't think buffalo has anywhere near an abundance of amazing restaurants.

What they do have is an abundance of amazing local "junk food" places (pizza, wings,subs, etc.) that compete with crappy fast food places like mcdonalds. Other than lack of drive thru I can't see why one wouldnt consistently choose the local joints.

Buffalo has a LOT of very good restaurants. The entire Hertel strip is littered with quality places. Elmwood Ave and Downtown have more than their fair share, and the section of Transit Road in East Amherst sports--for my money--some of the best food you can find in WNY. Then you've got places like Sinatra's and Torches that are basically in the middle of Suburbia.

That's totally separate from the pizza/wings/sub places to which you refer.

It was a dinner at Olive Garden that drove me over the edge. Yes, the food tastes good. But just knowing it was made by cutting a plastic bag open with a pair of scissors then heated in a pan (at least I think it's heated in pan) rubbed me wrong. Then the service was over-the-top schitty. Some arrogant little punk with zero people skills. And then the bill came. That was when I knew I was done with the chains.

Now I'll occasionally stop at a a TGI Friday's or a 99 for lunch with my family. But that's when we're out shopping, etc., and we want something more than fast food, but still want to save a little money. But the dinners? Done. No way in hell.

OG is the human equivalent of an industrial feed lot. They serve over the top fatty, greasy, food byproduct in obscene quantities. The f@#$ing chairs have wheels because they know their clientele so well. I know after a nice dinner out at OG I've got about 2 or 3 hours to make it back to my home base before never ending breadsticks absolutely eviscerate my digestive system. A 30 day juice cleanse has nothing on the emptiness you feel after a tour of italia.

To be clear, I'm not above eating anywhere. I get my occasional McD's or Whopper cravings. On a long car ride I look forward to pulling over for fast food or to pop into a chain. If my friends or family want to go to Cheesecake Factory or Macaroni Grill I will not protest or complain about my meal. If I'm choosing the place though, I generally prefer not to give chains my money.

My parents had the chance to buy 2 McD's back in the mid-70's. My maternal uncle was supposed to be the manager despite the fact that he had zero work ethic (unlike my paternal uncle), but he overslept and missed the meeting, and that ended that. I'm still pissed at him.

r Macaroni Grill I will not protest or complain about my meal.

I ate at a Macaroni Grill about a month ago..it was right next to the hotel . I had a fantastic roast chicken(sure the sodium was through the roof) , but i seem to remember some annoying policy about wine...maybe only house wine available by the glass...

but that chicken was damn good!

Other chain i somewhat like is Flemings...not to eat dinner but they have a great happy hour at the bar...wife and i go once a month or so.

ewwww.....yucky....disgusting

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/whats-really-in-a-mcdonalds-chicken-mcnugget-former-mythbuster-finds-out/

Then you won't want to know what's in them/how they're made. I will never eat another one again.

And I still love their Big Mac, fillet o-fish, and fries. But I rarely go there anymore.

And I love 5 Guys, but their burgers are twice the price (sometimes three times the price if I have a coupon) of McD's.

http://www.cnet.com/...ster-finds-out/

CHICKEN MCNUGGETS:

Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch.

http://www.cnet.com/...ster-finds-out/

""We grind it to give it to give you that real meaty texture that you expect in Chicken McNuggets," Steward tells Imahara in the video."

Asinine statement of the year?