Reasons for the loss

How fans can continue to go from the logic behind (1) then arrive at point (1A) I'll never understand.

"Orton needs to take his shots and stop dumping off"

"But Hackett needs to scheme for his playmakers."

Seriously, fellas it can't be both.

Of course it can. It takes three seconds for Marrone or Hackett to tell Orton to not dump off so much. To call plays where Woods and Watkins are the first two reads. To tell him to get the ball to his playmakers. To get Lee Smith and MarQueise Gray off the friggin field in place of Goodwin (or MWilliams when he is active). To put Goodwin in. There are more ways to do it than plays I'm complaining about.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably have one thread like this each week. Just a weekly top five or top ten list of what posters think the hierarchy of reasons we won or lost.

To me... It's hard to put them in order... But... The reasons we lost were...

1. Orton was off. And a wimp. And took too many dump offs. And didn't throw the ball downfield to his playmakers.

1a. Very close to 1: The Marrone Hackett offense that is not designed around our playmakers like Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams.

3. Aaron Williams, who I like a lot, made two huge errors. The first was the first bomb to Welker where he was in position and just blew the angle allowing a 38 yard play. The second was he totally blew the tackle and angle on the 47 run from scrimmage by the second string RB.

4. The calls by the refs. I hate to put it this high but there were about five huge calls that were significant in the game.

5. Chandler, who had a good game for the most part, dropped the fourth down pass. Tough catch but in his hands.

6. Marrone benching Hughes. He can't do that. Hughes is an emotional player. He benefits from it more than it hurts us.

7 Kyle Williams and whomever made the bad block on the Int returns. We didn't see them so perhaps they were bad calls. But those lost 75 or so yards and cost at least 3 and maybe up to 14 points. It's stupid.

Things I hated about the game:

Benching Hughes

Orton

Punting in the fourth down by 14.

Not going for the on sides kick after the first TD.

Refs. The second penalty on an int return was called on Graham. He did nothing during the play and of course CBS showed no replay and gave no explanation.

I don't get why people were so down on Orton.

Orton is who he is; that was a very Orton like game today. He was stellar at times (like 90% on3rd down), okay at times, and made 2-3 critical errors.

We would like wins and I for one would like to see the playoffs again. You prefer we laud him for sliding 3 yards shy of a first down and ducking at imagined pressure?

I don't get why people were so down on Orton.

Orton is who he is; that was a very Orton like game today. He was stellar at times (like 90% on3rd down), okay at times, and made 2-3 critical errors.

17 points is not enough. He threw a terrible pick in the red zone. He was wimpy in a game we needed him to be tough. He refused to throw the ball down the field. He did not throw to Woods most of the game and Watkins for more than half the game. His stats did not show the kind of game he had at all.

Marrone didn't bench Hughes soooo now we are just deciding that it's a lie and he DID so we can keep complaining about it?

Someone did. He's responsible. He said another coach couldn't bench him without him knowing.

17 points is not enough. He threw a terrible pick in the red zone. He was wimpy in a game we needed him to be tough. He refused to throw the ball down the field. He did not throw to Woods most of the game and Watkins for more than half the game. His stats did not show the kind of game he had at all.

Someone did. He's responsible. He said another coach couldn't bench him without him knowing.

Hear, hear!

This says it all. Yeah Orton is who he is, but he is capable of more than he gave today. We've seen more before.

Regardless, we need to find a real QB and soon.

I have no idea who that guy is.

Marrone didn't bench Hughes soooo now we are just deciding that it's a lie and he DID so we can keep complaining about it?

Marrone is just skirting responsibility through the media like he does. That sort of thing does not play well with players.

Good call on aaron Williams; he was the culprit on both big bronco plays.

I am not hanging this one on Hackett. The offense was immensely more clever today. They totally changed the run blocking scheme; if we didn't get down, I think we could have really grounded out the game.

Yes, and the reason we were down was because of the refs 4 horrible calls. The 2 third downs the Bills stopped them but the refs threw flags, would have been FGs instead of TDs and the two int return flags, that were both returned into Carpenters range, but called back.

Good call on aaron Williams; he was the culprit on both big bronco plays.

I am not hanging this one on Hackett. The offense was immensely more clever today. They totally changed the run blocking scheme; if we didn't get down, I think we could have really grounded out the game.

The Tackles struggled all day. I saw Glenn whiffing on the defenders quite a few times. Henderson was better, but was still having a tough time. Freddy ran right into him a few times. I think not having strong guards is hurting us quite a bit. The biggest thing I saw was that this offense plays WITHOUT any EMOTIONS. Emotions drive football games immensely and sadly this team does not have that. Woods was lost for most of the day after making that spectacular catch.

Marrone is just skirting responsibility through the media like he does. That sort of thing does not play well with players.

Sorry thats just easy old fashioned agenda ... If he did yank Hughes he would have admitted it publicly like he always has in the past.

Yes, and the reason we were down was because of the refs 4 horrible calls. The 2 third downs the Bills stopped them but the refs threw flags, would have been FGs instead of TDs and the two int return flags, that were both returned into Carpenters range, but called back.

We just don't know if the INT returns were penalties or not. CBS never showed the replays. On the other hand, call on Robey and Gilmore were bad calls. However, everyone has indicated that the penalty on Robey was really on Aaron Williams. If so, the refs really made one bad call (Gilmore).

They could have easily called PI on the 4th and 6 play when Chandler was mugged. They should have called Personal Foul when the guy speared his helmet into the chest of the Bills player without the helmet.

So may could have should have. At the end of the day, the team played like a bad team and hence lost. Bad teams find ways to lose. Our ST was horrible. Thigpen failing to call fair catch was inexplicable. The punts were poor. Even the coverage units were poor as the Broncos were returning balls consistently to the 30+ yard line.

Sorry thats just easy old fashioned agenda ... If he did yank Hughes he would have admitted it publicly like he always has in the past.

Ok you're right, the head coach totally didn't realize one of his best playmakers wasn't on the field for essentially the second half.

You gotta be kidding me. I have never been on an anti marrone kick in the past but he is wrong by what he did and then denied doing here. His history of punishing players and holding grudges (Urbik, williams, etc) is hurting his team.

The fact that he denied doing it makes it so much worse than if he would have just said he benched him for repeated unsportsmanlike penalties the last few weeks.

Ok you're right, the head coach totally didn't realize one of his best playmakers wasn't on the field for essentially the second half.

You gotta be kidding me. I have never been on an anti marrone kick in the past but he is wrong by what he did and then denied doing here. His history of punishing players and holding grudges (Urbik, williams, etc) is hurting his team.

The fact that he denied doing it makes it so much worse than if he would have just said he benched him for repeated unsportsmanlike penalties the last few weeks.

yawwn

If he didn't he should have ordered him back in. One penalty. After the terrible call. We never saw. It doesn't matter what it was. If it were so egregious he would have been tossed from the game.

If he didn't he should have ordered him back in. One penalty. After the terrible call. We never saw. It doesn't matter what it was. If it were so egregious he would have been tossed from the game.

Completely agree.. He should have benched Pears too. Made one of the dumbest penalties