$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

On 12/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, Chef Jim said:

99.99% of the rideshare drivers I've ridden with are doing this for extra spending money not to raise a family or pay their monthly fixed expenses.  And yes I ask them all and I use rideshare fairly often. 

If I can't find a Lyft driver in the area I'll use uber.  When I do, I'll turn the uber app off and pay the driver what uber will charge me via cash.  It's a corrupt company.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:39 AM, mead107 said:

2099 no one will work.  Robots and computers will do everything. Minimum wage will be $150 per hour so you can sit home on your butt playing games on your phone.  

They will go get your food 

and feed you.  

And wipe your butt. ?

Sounds like the plot in Wall-E.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If I can't find a Lyft driver in the area I'll use uber.  When I do, I'll turn the uber app off and pay the driver what uber will charge me via cash.  It's a corrupt company.

I dropped Uber when they ***** over Oakland when I lived there.  Their decision to sell the old Sears building in downtown Oakland to the highest bidder vs turning it into their global headquarters really pissed me off.  

https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/25/technology/business/uber-oakland-headquarters/index.html

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KRC said:

Labor Market Is Doing Fine With Higher Minimum Wages

Seems counter to the laws of supply and demand. Typically, low skilled jobs have a sharp demand curve, so adding a price floor would have some effect (but not a dramatic effect) on supply. I would like to hear from the econ types here.

I always find it funny how these studies try to use surveys. That's not science. 

No real economist takes these studies seriously. Math is math. It's pretty simple math too.

The bottom line is that you don't single out one variable and think the equation is balanced. The Market will adjust.

That's how you end up with 500sft apartments costing $2 million dollars...

4 hours ago, KRC said:

Labor Market Is Doing Fine With Higher Minimum Wages

Seems counter to the laws of supply and demand. Typically, low skilled jobs have a sharp demand curve, so adding a price floor would have some effect (but not a dramatic effect) on supply. I would like to hear from the econ types here.

It's not a study, but rather a survey; and it's being used to drive a narrative rather than purse truth.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, B-Man said:

#FIGHTFOR15: After Winning a $15 Minimum Wage, Fast Food Workers Now Battle Unfair Firings.

The real buried lede: Fox Butterfield apparently still writing headlines at the New York Times...........:lol:

I know in my business, I always make certain prospective employees know that it's not really their problem if they show up late for work frequently and it's perfectly fine if they want to just call out when they want to help their landlord out of a bind.  In fact, I like to help the landlord by helping the employee by hurting myself, it's a real pay it forward proposition. 

I dont think anyone should should ever be fired, ever. I'm not even sure you should be able to require an employee to do the job they were hired for, it's onerous and likely cuts into the time at work when they could take care of personal stuff.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

46 minutes ago, B-Man said:

#FIGHTFOR15: After Winning a $15 Minimum Wage, Fast Food Workers Now Battle Unfair Firings.

The real buried lede: Fox Butterfield apparently still writing headlines at the New York Times...........:lol:

@Chef Jim Never mind Taco Bell...want to make any comments on job stability in the restaurant industry?

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Am I supposed to feel badly for the 37 year old dipschiff who repeatedly can't keep a minimum wage job at a fast food restaurant, and is forced to 'supplement' her income with unemployment, or the 22 year old dipschiff who doesn't show up to work on time, and blows off shifts to help others?

I'm just not sure.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Am I supposed to feel badly for the 37 year old dipschiff who repeatedly can't keep a minimum wage job at a fast food restaurant, and is forced to 'supplement' her income with unemployment, or the 22 year old dipschiff who doesn't show up to work on time, and blows off shifts to help others?

I'm just not sure.

Absolutely. If you feel badly for them, you don't actually have to do anything to help them. Just empathize and blame republicans.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Works for servicing waitstaff, not so much for actual bartenders.

My thought exactly. The day that customer-facing bartenders are replaced will be the day everyone just drinks at home.

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

If I owned a restaurant that's exactly what I'd get for the servers to operate. No over-pours, no theft, no inconsistency, and no waiting for the bartender to finish with their customers before making your drinks. The only way that machine is a negative is if it breaks down easily. 

• Like (+1) 1