$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

I'll bet that the technicians that program and maintain the kiosks will make at least $18 to $20 per hour to start.

Multiple cashiers at multiple restaurants will be replaced by one technician who makes $15 an hour hot swapping touch screen monitors that were manufactured in Vietnam, using an OS written in India, and monitored via network center in Siberia

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO: The Daily Signal breaks down revealing numbers on legislators advocating for a $15/hr minimum wage:

Almost all of the lawmakers who co-sponsored a bill to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour also hired unpaid interns to supplement their staffs, a survey shows. A report from the Employment Policies Institute reveals that 174 of the bill’s 184 co-sponsors, or 95 percent, hire interns who are paid nothing.

Well, color me shocked!

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do/

Multiple cashiers at multiple restaurants will be replaced by one technician who makes $15 an hour hot swapping touch screen monitors that were manufactured in Vietnam, using an OS written in India, and monitored via network center in Siberia

Exactly, that's the factor Az always overlooks. Will there be other jobs? Yes. But the overall NUMBER of jobs will be much smaller.

Exactly, that's the factor Az always overlooks. Will there be other jobs? Yes. But the overall NUMBER of jobs will be much smaller.

I'm not overlooking it, I'm ignoring it. I was going to reply to Dev's last comment, but the truth of it is that none of us know with any certainty what secondary and tertiary jobs will be created by replacing someone taking food orders with a machine. Will the OS be written by people in India? Maybe, maybe not. Americans will get the job if they're of equal skill and their service is competitively priced. Will Serbs monitor the network? Who knows? Again, are Americans able - or willing - to get the training needed to monitor and maintain such a network and do so at a competitive price?

I know I'm not revealing anything new to you guys when I say that our history is replete with examples of machinery and technology changing the employment and production landscapes, but every time that happens new jobs open up as old jobs vanish. I realize that my view is more optimistic than yours, but I believe I'm basing my belief from a historical perspective.

I'm not overlooking it, I'm ignoring it. I was going to reply to Dev's last comment, but the truth of it is that none of us know with any certainty what secondary and tertiary jobs will be created by replacing someone taking food orders with a machine. Will the OS be written by people in India? Maybe, maybe not. Americans will get the job if they're of equal skill and their service is competitively priced. Will Serbs monitor the network? Who knows? Again, are Americans able - or willing - to get the training needed to monitor and maintain such a network and do so at a competitive price?

I know I'm not revealing anything new to you guys when I say that our history is replete with examples of machinery and technology changing the employment and production landscapes, but every time that happens new jobs open up as old jobs vanish. I realize that my view is more optimistic than yours, but I believe I'm basing my belief from a historical perspective.

I tend to agree with the last paragraph. The issue that I believe JSP has brought up bears repeating though: is there a point at which the pace of robotics development and manual labor replacement tech outpaces the ability of underskilled workers to retrain/educate at a rate comparable to past examples of mechanization? And if so, does there exist a responsibility to ensure those displaced are able to continue working, albeit in most likely a less efficient rate (comparatively speaking, as I believe there IS inherent value in having a well-employed citizenry beyond conventional measures)?

I watched a google chat with a guy who runs an investment firm that deals in AI-based businesses. He actually chooses companies to invest in...get this...by algorithm. Chinese guy, he used to work for Apple, SGI, Google, Microsoft. He estimates that 50% of all jobs today won't exist in 10 years. That's a massive displacement in a short period of time. Long-term, you may be right. The problem I see is a short-term one.

Edited by joesixpack

I watched a google chat with a guy who runs an investment firm that deals in AI-based businesses. He actually chooses companies to invest in...get this...by algorithm. Chinese guy, he used to work for Apple, SGI, Google, Microsoft. He estimates that 50% of all jobs today won't exist in 10 years. That's a massive displacement in a short period of time. Long-term, you may be right. The problem I see is a short-term one.

You should watch different chats.

50% of all jobs today won't exist in 10 years?

If we even started dropping jobs and subsequently employment anywhere near that pace, the economy would **** itself so badly that the companies installing automation would be out of business.

If we even started dropping jobs and subsequently employment anywhere near that pace, the economy would **** itself so badly that the companies installing automation would be out of business.

But he's a Chinese guy! He uses algorithms. :rolleyes:

Is it your argument that the business world gives less than a !@#$ about the bottom line? If they can cut humans from jobs and automate, they will. And make no mistake, the techonologies will exist within the next decade.

Is it your argument that the business world gives less than a !@#$ about the bottom line? If they can cut humans from jobs and automate, they will. And make no mistake, the techonologies will exist within the next decade.

Sure but 50% of ALL jobs gone in 10 years?

Sure but 50% of ALL jobs gone in 10 years?

Let's take a look at automated driving as a snapshot since it'll have the greatest immediate impact. Once it's proven driverless vehicles are safer, you can be sure the government will mandate all cars and trucks be driverless. Think about that one for a second... some 5 million people drive trucks, but it's so much more than just that. Think about all the jobs RELATED to driving:

1) no need for a DMV really, as people won't have drivers licenses.

2) No need for people to underwrite or sell auto insurance.

3) No need for gas station attendants, or people staffing the mini-marts associated to them.

4) Can definitely cut back on highway patrol staffing, since there won't be much if any need for them.

And you could go on the more you think about it. That's ONE industry. He also raised the topics of insurance and loan underwriting, financial services and several others. Read an article in Barron's about ford's future, and THEY think that car ownership will plummet in the next 20 years, as auotmated driving and ride-hailing services become cheaper and more efficient than car ownership. if/when THAT happens, you'll see huge job displacement.

Edited by joesixpack

I tend to agree with the last paragraph. The issue that I believe JSP has brought up bears repeating though: is there a point at which the pace of robotics development and manual labor replacement tech outpaces the ability of underskilled workers to retrain/educate at a rate comparable to past examples of mechanization? And if so, does there exist a responsibility to ensure those displaced are able to continue working, albeit in most likely a less efficient rate (comparatively speaking, as I believe there IS inherent value in having a well-employed citizenry beyond conventional measures)?

I honestly don't know what the trade-off of skilled to unskilled jobs will be in either the short term or long. Based on the progress and growth we've experienced since the beginning of the industrial age, I see no reason to believe that job availability will be affected by automation much differently than it has been in the past.

It sounds to me as if he's only focused on the negative side and not acknowledging the subsequent gains in employment from new vocations. Consider the job losses in petroleum and mining when we finally develop a more profitable alternative to fossil fuels. That will be huge, but there will also be an entirely new field of energy production that will take it's place. The loss on one end is a gain on the other.

The OS they use currently comes from Microsoft...

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-posready-7.aspx

Currently, with Wendy's, support staff for restaurants are located in Ohio, New York, and Georgia that I know of.

The OS they use currently comes from Microsoft...

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-posready-7.aspx

Currently, with Wendy's, support staff for restaurants are located in Ohio, New York, and Georgia that I know of.

Microsoft POSReady?

Granted I'm a Linux kind of guy but I thought Microsoft OS's were already POS :P

And I recall seeing XP at a recent (within last year maybe) visit to Wendys

Vlad will be honored to receive all that data about American consumerism. :ph34r:

Microsoft POSReady?

Granted I'm a Linux kind of guy but I thought Microsoft OS's were already POS :P

And I recall seeing XP at a recent (within last year maybe) visit to Wendys

Ahhhh! The better to hack you with, Wendy my dear. :lol:

Let's take a look at automated driving as a snapshot since it'll have the greatest immediate impact. Once it's proven driverless vehicles are safer, you can be sure the government will mandate all cars and trucks be driverless. Think about that one for a second... some 5 million people drive trucks, but it's so much more than just that. Think about all the jobs RELATED to driving:

1) no need for a DMV really, as people won't have drivers licenses.

2) No need for people to underwrite or sell auto insurance.

3) No need for gas station attendants, or people staffing the mini-marts associated to them.

4) Can definitely cut back on highway patrol staffing, since there won't be much if any need for them.

And you could go on the more you think about it. That's ONE industry. He also raised the topics of insurance and loan underwriting, financial services and several others. Read an article in Barron's about ford's future, and THEY think that car ownership will plummet in the next 20 years, as auotmated driving and ride-hailing services become cheaper and more efficient than car ownership. if/when THAT happens, you'll see huge job displacement.

Think a little harder on this, please.

1) Vehicle registrations and licensing with be done away with? Seriously? State are going to simply walk away from tens of millions of dollars a year in fees. IDTS.

2) You think accidents won't happen? Seriously? Because technology is so awesomely reliable. Sure, it's great... when it works.

3) Every car, truck, SUV, and mini van will be electric? Seriously? Millions of people turning away from gas lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and edge trimmers too I suppose.

4) No car, truck, SUV, or mini van will ever speed? Seriously? The first after market conversion kits we be Apps for the iPhone and Androids that will override the speed governor.