$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

So raising minimum would put small business out essentially? Your mom and pop diner, right?

The price of all other goods would evolve by increasing. It's not like anything would change. The price ratio for rent, food, utilities, etc would have to adapt and therefore stay the same.

How about another approach lol

So raising minimum would put small business out essentially? Your mom and pop diner, right?

The price of all other goods would evolve by increasing. It's not like anything would change. The price ratio for rent, food, utilities, etc would have to adapt and therefore stay the same.

How about another approach lol

We know. And, many of us have said so in this thread.

Unlike most of our trouble with leftists in general, and in this thread, the problem in this case isn't that they are denying reality. This time they aren't even aware of it.

Appropriate mandatory requirement for public office: Has taken and passed Macro and Micro Economics.

As I said 10 pages ago "If your curiosity about basic economics == half of your curiousity about kiosks, this thread would have ended 10 pages ago".

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• 2 weeks later...

‘That’s how reality works’: Does this Wal-Mart news really come as a surprise to progressives?

After protests took place calling for the retailer to raise its minimum wage, Wal-Mart recently announced that they would be doing just that.

#RaiseTheWage progressives actually seem surprised about what happened next:

hdV6dk93_normal.jpg ThinkProgress

@thinkprogress

Walmart cuts workers’ hours after raising its minimum wage earlier this year http://thkpr.gs/3696938

Work fewer hours & take home less money. Another liberal success!

It's the GOP congress's fault for refusing to repeal the law of supply & demand.

‘That’s how reality works’: Does this Wal-Mart news really come as a surprise to progressives?

After protests took place calling for the retailer to raise its minimum wage, Wal-Mart recently announced that they would be doing just that.

#RaiseTheWage progressives actually seem surprised about what happened next:

Work fewer hours & take home less money. Another liberal success!

It's the GOP congress's fault for refusing to repeal the law of supply & demand.

But WalMart was going to do that anyway, to reduce their health care burden under the ACA. So at least the "living wage" crowd has taken the spotlight off that...

Obviously we need our government to mandate a 40 hour work week and a $15 minimum wage to prevent evil corporations from taking advantage of workers.

Unlike most of our trouble with leftists in general, and in this thread, the problem in this case isn't that they are denying reality. This time they aren't even aware of it.

I would say that is true more often than not.

• 3 months later...

UNEXPECTEDLY.........................

Bay Area Job Growth Slows After Minimum-Wage Hikes:

The pace of hiring in the leisure and hospitality sector fell to a five-year low for the Bay Area last month, Labor Department data show. Job gains have slowed to less than half the rate that preceded Oakland’s and San Francisco’s adoption last spring of the highest citywide minimum wage in country.

After rising close to 5% a year, hiring at restaurants, hotels and other leisure sector venues rose just 2.2% from a year ago in November. Meanwhile, in the rest of California, where the minimum wage is generally $3.25 below the $12.25-an-hour level set in Oakland and San Francisco, leisure and hospitality employment rose 4.9%.

The data suggest potential employment headwinds from the higher minimum wage, which jumped 36% in Oakland and 14% in San Francisco. On top of that, Oakland’s minimum wage is set to rise to $12.55 in January while San Francisco’s will jump to $13 in July.

You are correct sir at least in these forums because in my opinion the moderators simply don't do their job to allow such a statement to stand.However I would argue that the cowards here would all refrain from this stuff if they were standing in front of the person they were addressing.

I would stand in front of anyone and say anything I pleased. First of all because it's highly unlikely they'd want to challenge me physically, and if they did, it's highly unlikely they'd get the outcome they wanted. What, you think insulting people who deserve it is solely limited to the internet? I insult morons all the time in real life. I also am very nice to people(especially travel/hotel/service) people. It depends on the person/their degree of usefulness vs stupidity. But, never ever think that I am afraid to call an unmitigated moron an unmitigated moron anywhere, any time.

Verbal beatdowns require skills and skills must be practiced.

And I missed all this, because I was busy all day helping to close a $30M contract.

But thanks for the fries.

Narcissist.

I am very interested in seeing how cities like Seattle and LA are going to do with their $15 minimum wages going up slowly over the next 5-6 years. What will the results be? It should be an interesting experiment, although I don't think it will have the results they think.

It's not what the cities are going to do...it's what their employers/business owners are going to do. Collect that data and you'll have a real experiment going. Notice that half of the employers split town for the suburbs. The rest either automate, go out of business or find any number of ways to either reduce hours or make employees part owners, in which case they can't qualify for min. wage.

In any event, you will find the term "vote with their feet" helpful in your experiment.

I would stand in front of anyone and say anything I pleased. First of all because it's highly unlikely they'd want to challenge me physically, and if they did, it's highly unlikely they'd get the outcome they wanted.

:lol:

How would have thought Ocin is a tough guy? You think you could beat up on Tom? :lol:

How would have thought Ocin is a tough guy? You think you could beat up on Tom? :lol:

Ah, !@#$ing up the English language again through carelessness. Your habitual butchering of your posts show that you not only are a careless person but the defense thereof prove you have a damaged mind.

Edited by 3rdnlng

UNEXPECTEDLY.........................

Bay Area Job Growth Slows After Minimum-Wage Hikes:

The pace of hiring in the leisure and hospitality sector fell to a five-year low for the Bay Area last month, Labor Department data show. Job gains have slowed to less than half the rate that preceded Oakland’s and San Francisco’s adoption last spring of the highest citywide minimum wage in country.

After rising close to 5% a year, hiring at restaurants, hotels and other leisure sector venues rose just 2.2% from a year ago in November. Meanwhile, in the rest of California, where the minimum wage is generally $3.25 below the $12.25-an-hour level set in Oakland and San Francisco, leisure and hospitality employment rose 4.9%.

The data suggest potential employment headwinds from the higher minimum wage, which jumped 36% in Oakland and 14% in San Francisco. On top of that, Oakland’s minimum wage is set to rise to $12.55 in January while San Francisco’s will jump to $13 in July.

But...but...but....what was the CEO's bonus??? :wacko:

Oh, look! A higher minimum wage doesn’t reduce poverty, says… the federal government

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/31/a-higher-minimum-wage-doesnt-reduce-poverty-says-the-federal-government/

We reach the end of the year with yet another tale of crazy, one percenter wingnuts trying to claim that jacking up the minimum wage won’t do much to alleviate the issues facing the poorest Americans who the Democrats are seeking to help.

This time the hateful claims are coming from… a study published by the federal government.

Increasing the minimum wage is an inefficient way to reduce poverty, according to a Fed research paper that comes amid a national clamor to hike pay for workers at the low end of the salary scale.

David Neumark, visiting scholar at the San Francisco Fed, contends
that raising the minimum wage has only limited benefits in the war against poverty, due in part because relatively few of those falling below the poverty line actually receive the wage.

Many of the benefits from raising the wage, a move already undertaken by multiple governments around the country as well as some big-name companies, tend to go to higher-income families, said Neumark, who also pointed to research that shows raising wages kills jobs through higher costs to employers. Neumark is a professor of economics and director of the Center for Economics and Public Policy at the University of California, Irvine.

I’m sure that Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will find a way to spin this story. But the numbers here really don’t come as any surprise when you stop to think about it. This report doesn’t deal so much with the employment impacts of a higher federal minimum wage, but more with who is getting those wages.

more at the link

Liberals and progressives have been waging a War on the Impoverished for decades. Nothing they do works because theirs are simplistic solutions which boil down to handing out money to keep people placated and anesthetized to the truth. They don't really care about solving the issue of poverty, they view the needy as their key to staying in power - just give them enough to keep from starving while creating a boogieman out of more complex ways that might actually break their chains of poverty and enslavement to the system. Liberals and progressives are sick people who are busy riding the gravy train while keeping in power by riding the backs of the minions they give lip service to helping, and a meager hand-out to keep them in line. They are the new age Masters of the Big House on the plantation.

All you need to know is: I can beat you up. In anything, except being a dumbass, refusing to learn(before, or from mistakes, after), blaming others for bad choices/consequencs, and the wholesale blaming of millions of people you don't know, for the en masse bad choices/consequnces of millions more you don't know.

What? Who the !@#$ cares?

Hey, OC...spearing contest at the home opener?

I will meet you on any field of battle using whatever weapon/tools are necessary....

...but...

my battlefield and weapons of preference would be: who can be the biggest Elizabethan fop at the home opener.

That would be hysterical. Can you imagine the look on Hammer's face when I try to park my carriage? We could get gatorman to be one of our footmen and then scold and humiliate him...

...oh wait, we already do that. Nevermind. Forget the whole idea. Jeez, gator ruins everything again.

Unless you want to do it. :lol:

Oh, look! A higher minimum wage doesn’t reduce poverty, says… the federal government

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/31/a-higher-minimum-wage-doesnt-reduce-poverty-says-the-federal-government/

We reach the end of the year with yet another tale of crazy, one percenter wingnuts trying to claim that jacking up the minimum wage won’t do much to alleviate the issues facing the poorest Americans who the Democrats are seeking to help.

This time the hateful claims are coming from… a study published by the federal government.

I’m sure that Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will find a way to spin this story. But the numbers here really don’t come as any surprise when you stop to think about it. This report doesn’t deal so much with the employment impacts of a higher federal minimum wage, but more with who is getting those wages.

Increasing the minimum wage is an inefficient way to reduce poverty, according to a Fed research paper that comes amid a national clamor to hike pay for workers at the low end of the salary scale.

David Neumark, visiting scholar at the San Francisco Fed, contends in the paper that raising the minimum wage has only limited benefits in the war against poverty, due in part because relatively few of those falling below the poverty line actually receive the wage.

Many of the benefits from raising the wage, a move already undertaken by multiple governments around the country as well as some big-name companies, tend to go to higher-income families, said Neumark, who also pointed to research that shows raising wages kills jobs through higher costs to employers. Neumark is a professor of economics and director of the Center for Economics and Public Policy at the University of California, Irvine.

more at the link

As if a study is necessary.

You hike the minimum wage you give a free license for every business owner/CEO to raise prices to "cover it". :rolleyes: And, since "paying a living wage" springs from childish minds, they never consider that a firm might raise prices MORE than is necessary to cover the wage increase. Who can blame them, and what can anyone do to stop it? Price Fixing too? :rolleyes: (Great, back to the bad old days of the 1970s) And praytell, who owns businesses/stocks in corporations?

That wouldn't be "higher-income families" would it? :lol: Plus, instead of these same business owners and CEOs keeping employees around, now they are highly motivated to innovate, reengineer business processes, and find ways to do more with less employees...which again, makes them MORE $. So once again, the "higher income families" benefit by having whatever they own being forced to be more efficient/effective. They could have stayed dumb, fat and happy, and the firms continue to employ people.

But, oh no, the magical thinking of the social justice clowns creates many incentives...to get the very opposite outcome they intend.

All of this is available in community college economics material, yet we need a study?

Liberals and progressives have been waging a War on the Impoverished for decades. Nothing they do works because theirs are simplistic solutions which boil down to handing out money to keep people placated and anesthetized to the truth. They don't really care about solving the issue of poverty, they view the needy as their key to staying in power - just give them enough to keep from starving while creating a boogieman out of more complex ways that might actually break their chains of poverty and enslavement to the system. Liberals and progressives are sick people who are busy riding the gravy train while keeping in power by riding the backs of the minions they give lip service to helping, and a meager hand-out to keep them in line. They are the new age Masters of the Big House on the plantation.

Perhaps the 2 sickest things I've seen in real life with my own eyes regarding this:

1. when they hand out the turkeys. No one says anything anymore, any notion of pretense died decades ago. They just show up with turkeys, and the poor, voting D no matter what, people take them.

2. when the mayor(ahem Niagara Falls, but I've seen it elsewhere too) has his "festivals". These aren't anything short of what the nobles used to do for the peasants.

The Lord Mayor's Herald:"Hey, you live in schit most of the time, but for today only, we'll give you cotton candy and $.50 beers. We don't have to worry about driving, because none of you own cars! HaHa! Once today's over you can go back to your crap life, but, at least you feel like you got something out of your vote, and don't forget to vote again, so the Lord Mayor can bestow his generosity on you again."

The Rabble's Response: "Hooray for the Lord Mayor!"

When these sick Fs talk about 2 different Americas...one that they created and continue to propogate, it's one thing. When you see them do it right in front of you? It's like seeing a real dead body for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

QUESTION ASKED AND ANSWERED:

“Can D.C. afford a $15/hour minimum wage?”, the left-leaning Brookings Institute asked in July.

Yesterday’s Washington Post article headlined “District leaders furious Walmart breaking promise to build stores in poor neighborhoods” is a succinct response:

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

“They were saying, ‘How are we going to run the three stores we have, let alone build two more?’ ” Evans said.

“The optics of this are horrible; they are not going to build the stores east of the river, in largely African American neighborhoods? That’s horrible; you can’t do that,” Evans said. “A deal’s a deal.”

As Tim Worstall responds at Forbes,“Obviously, the people who brokered the deal aren’t happy about this. Yet those same people are the very people that passed the laws that Walmart, informally at least, is saying have led to the change of mind. It is, obviously, always nice to see the biter bit, someone hoist on their own petard. But the people who will lose out from this are the consumers of those poorer areas of the capital. And the reason they’ll lose out is because the politicians have been loading costs onto Walmart by insisting upon higher wages in several different ways.

Related: Early evidence suggests that DC’s minimum wage law is also having a negative effect on the city’s restaurant employment.