Bills Focus: Bradham Breaking Through

going back to scouting report:

Senior linebacker who is the lone starting linebacker returning in 2011 as well as the team's returning leading tackler. Covers the field well and brings a wealth of knowledge to the linebacker corps having played in 40 career games. Named to the preseason watch lists for the Bednarik Award and Nagurski Award which are awarded to the top defensive player in the country. A Preseason All-ACC pick by several publications who will also be a candidate for the Butkus Award given to the nation's top linebacker. Earned one of six community service awards given out at the end of spring practice.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/history/1619567

Guns don't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people.

I just can't stop saying that. He's been very, very good. I've been a believer in re-signing Jerry Hughes even though it throws the positional monetary allotments out of whack, mostly because we pay our linebackers peanuts. Kiko makes peanuts as a second round pick. Brown makes peanut shells as a 3rd rounder. Bradham makes peanut salt. But he may be due for an Aaron Williams-sequel early contract to take him off the board early bump because if he plays like this next year, he's going to be a star and demand huge money, and there is little reason to believe he is not going to get better.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Guns don't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people.

I just can't stop saying that. He's been very, very good. I've been a believer in re-signing Jerry Hughes even though it throws the positional monetary allotments out of whack, mostly because we pay our linebackers peanuts. Kiko makes peanuts as a second round pick. Brown makes peanut shells as a 3rd rounder. Bradham makes peanut salt. But he may be due for an Aaron Williams-sequel early contract to take him off the board early bump because if he plays like this next year, he's going to be a star and demand huge money, and there is little reason to believe he is not going to get better.

He made a very dirty play at the beginning of the Browns game, spearing their TE in the ribs. I didn't like that at all.

He made a very dirty play at the beginning of the Browns game, spearing their TE in the ribs. I didn't like that at all.

He did. That was nasty and unnecessary because he seemed to lead with his helmet. I was surprised that he wasn't flagged and so far has not been fined. That's his biggest fault, late hits, and he needs to control it.

He's been the biggest pleasant surprise for me this year, a la McKelvin last year. After about 10 years of downright miserable LB play season after season, it's a breath of fresh air to see Kiko, Brown and Bradham all on the Bills' roster. Doug got 'r dun.

Edited by Aaron

It's amazing that going into this year, after the Kiko injury, this unit was a big question mark. The way in which Bradham has improved his game is simply amazing, he was quite lost as a rookie and really struggled in his second year. Add Preston Brown and Kiko next year and this unit becomes a strength with youth going forward.

If we don't re-sign Spikes (hope he wants to stay) who plays MLB when all three are on the field? Brown or Kiko?

It's amazing that going into this year, after the Kiko injury, this unit was a big question mark. The way in which Bradham has improved his game is simply amazing, he was quite lost as a rookie and really struggled in his second year. Add Preston Brown and Kiko next year and this unit becomes a strength with youth going forward.

If we don't re-sign Spikes (hope he wants to stay) who plays MLB when all three are on the field? Brown or Kiko?

Brown's natural position is mlb and Kiko's is WLB, so I think they would stick with that

Brown, without question.

He did. That was nasty and unnecessary because he seemed to lead with his helmet. I was surprised that he wasn't flagged and so far has not been fined. That's his biggest fault, late hits, and he needs to control it.

Does he though? It's not really that often he does, and frankly every team needs an enforcer. A guy who scares the other team because you frankly don't know if he's going to commit a felony on the field. That's the type of mentality that is needed to play the way Bradham does -- all speed and power, no fear.

I get that this is the kitty-fied NFL these days where contact is frowned upon, but it's still a combat sport played by tough men going 100 mph. If you try to tame the beast, you end up taking away the guy's fuel.

Does he though? It's not really that often he does, and frankly every team needs an enforcer. A guy who scares the other team because you frankly don't know if he's going to commit a felony on the field. That's the type of mentality that is needed to play the way Bradham does -- all speed and power, no fear.

I get that this is the kitty-fied NFL these days where contact is frowned upon, but it's still a combat sport played by tough men going 100 mph. If you try to tame the beast, you end up taking away the guy's fuel.

Totally agree. I'm really talking about after the whistle stuff.

That said, I think we really ask too much of these guys. Yes, the whistle blows and you know you have to stop. The stopping is easy. But the NFL and officials also let a lot of crap go after the whistle. And when some opponent does something that pisses you off so much you lose it, sometimes you just have to say ok, that was bad but don't let it stop you from being super aggressive. When it happens too often, you have to stop it to some degree.