GMail - Anyone still need one?

stevestojan

If anyone needs one, just post your email address... I'll send it. You might wanna type your email like this:

john doe at hot mail dot com...

or something similar.

GMail is good for threaded emails, and a gig of space with 10meg attachments.

what exactly is a GMail?  First I thought you meant GMac but we can talk about him on Saturday when he goes for 30!  Seriously though what is it?

226657[/snapback]

http://www.gmail.com

It's Google's free email system.

Careful though; they (reportedly) archive everything. Rumor has it that they're using Gmail as a testbed for their searching and to develop new technology. They needed a large volume of data, and what better way to get that large volume of data?

CW

Don't forget the spam.  Word is it's very profitable and who wouldn't want free money?  Why else the big inbox?  Do you even get POP access?

226666[/snapback]

Yes, you get POP (and/or IMAP, I can't recall).

I havn't gotten a single spam message in mine yet. Then again, I don't use it much either... But I doubt Google is selling the email addresses; they're a pretty up-and-up company for the most part.

CW

But I doubt Google is selling the email addresses; they're a pretty up-and-up company for the most part.

226670[/snapback]

Yeah, the stock price seems to confirm that others feel the same way. They announced blowout numbers yesterday and the stock was up around 10% today (210+). They don't make forward looking projections and when asked during the conference call what they saw as trouble spots they replied something to the effect of "keeping up with client requests". A lot of original employee stock comes out of lock-up soon, but the market seems to thirst for this stock. GOOG is now the world's largest internet company by market cap, surpassing EBAY.

Sergei and Larry are printing money while not doing any evil.

Don't forget the spam.  Word is it's very profitable and who wouldn't want free money?  Why else the big inbox?  Do you even get POP access?

226666[/snapback]

I have yet to get ONE spam that made it to my inbox. This is of course good, except twice two emails got sent to spam that weren't (meaning its a touch OVER agressive). But, I do affiliate marketing on the side, and these were from big companies, so it could look like spam.

The money is from AdWords. When you do a search on google, the results in the main page are NOT paid for (like with overture, kanoodle, some yahoo ads, etc). They are legitimately done by spidering the internet for the most relevant sites (most of the time, some sites do cheat, but i digress). Anyway, the PAID ads are on the right side. I personally use these for my affiliate marketing.

Now, they are being incorporated into GMail. This means, Gmail scans your email for keywords, thus finding targeted ads. This is of course a concern for those really freaked out about privacy concerns.

Besides that, I love Gmail. And yes, you get POP access. I however, like the web acess better, to be honest.