Hack of Sony Pictures thought to be retaliation for Rogen film

ChevyVanMiller

It's believed that North Koren is upset about the upcoming movie "The Interview," an R-rated comedy, "in which James Franco and Seth Rogen play two journalists who land a rare interview with Kim Jong Un and are recruited by the CIA to take him out."

This sort of hacking could cripple the motion picture industry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/12/01/north-koreas-cyberwar-on-james-franco-and-seth-rogan/

It's believed that North Koren is upset about the upcoming movie "The Interview," an R-rated comedy, "in which James Franco and Seth Rogen play two journalists who land a rare interview with Kim Jong Un and are recruited by the CIA to take him out."

This sort of hacking could cripple the motion picture industry.

http://www.washingto...and-seth-rogan/

If it was done at the behest of NK, it likely would have been carried out by Chinese state sponsored proxies as North Korea doesn't have the hacking talent to get the job done. If the FBI/DoD whatever part of the alphabet soup traces if back to China it'd be a big black eye for their international relations. I wouldn't put it past NK or China to be involved as it suits both of their geopolitical goals -- but I still think it's speculative fantasy from a bunch of entertainment writers who at one time wanted to be the next Tom Clancy or le Carre.

I just don't think China would take that risk to so openly attack the American economy, even if it is a Japanese based company.

But it's definitely a hot topic of conversation in this town.

If it was done at the behest of NK, it likely would have been carried out by Chinese state sponsored proxies as North Korea doesn't have the hacking talent to get the job done.

You might be surprised. I've seen some reports of some clever things done by North Korea.

Plus...North Korea mad about film. North Korea decides to do something about film. North Korea hacks film studio. North Korea accomplishes nothing other than calling attention to film. North Korea guarantees that people who would otherwise not go see ****ty film will now pay money to see what North Korea considers a DPRK national security issue.

In other words: North Korea, in clumsy and stupid attempt to protest and defend itself against film, ends up staging a promotional stunt better than anything the filmmakers could have managed.

Which is just the sort of dumbshit thing North Korea would do. That'd make a pretty good sequel to "The Interview," in fact. :lol:

You might be surprised. I've seen some reports of some clever things done by North Korea.

Plus...North Korea mad about film. North Korea decides to do something about film. North Korea hacks film studio. North Korea accomplishes nothing other than calling attention to film. North Korea guarantees that people who would otherwise not go see ****ty film will now pay money to see what North Korea considers a DPRK national security issue.

In other words: North Korea, in clumsy and stupid attempt to protest and defend itself against film, ends up staging a promotional stunt better than anything the filmmakers could have managed.

Which is just the sort of dumbshit thing North Korea would do. That'd make a pretty good sequel to "The Interview," in fact. :lol:

The movie will practically write itself.

The same effect you are talking about seems to happen all the time. When some activist group gets offended by what some comedian or public figure says they then proceed to spread the offending material across the nation. They go to the media and whomever will listen. If you were that offended and hurt by whatever was done or said wouldn't you just want the offending material to be ignored or not noticed as much as possible? To you know, protect the people or group that you pretend to represent.

:lol: :lol:

I wonder if they cut down the Red Dawn remake to just the first 20 minutes and made it the national film of North Korea. Wasn't there another movie in the last year or two where North Korea successfully attacked the US early in the movie? They should focus their hacking skills on changing the ending of those ones. If they're going to waste time hacking movie studios, they might as well have some fun with it.

Oh, and I wonder what they thought of Team America.

The money has been transferred to your Swiss account, Kim Jong Un. Pleasure doing business with you.

The money has been transferred to your Swiss account, Kim Jong Un. Pleasure doing business with you.

I thought of that, too. It's just the sort of dumbass thing Sony might consider to promote a movie. "Wag the Dog, Then Eat It."