UB Hires Lance Leipold to be Head Football Coach

I heard him interviewed this morning....

Man oh man. I try to listen to those interviews with the standpoint of a prospective recruit. This guy has it. he is real, gets into some strategy talk. Has a positive attitude but not over the top. Very professional and well spoken.

Quinn disgusted me. He was like a cartoon character football coach. Everything opposite of what is described above. Gave me major douche chills and came across as completely full of BS. If I were a recruit I would only play for Quinn as a last resort or if I absolutely needed/wanted to stay in WNY.

I heard him interviewed this morning....

Man oh man. I try to listen to those interviews with the standpoint of a prospective recruit. This guy has it. he is real, gets into some strategy talk. Has a positive attitude but not over the top. Very professional and well spoken.

Quinn disgusted me. He was like a cartoon character football coach. Everything opposite of what is described above. Gave me major douche chills and came across as completely full of BS. If I were a recruit I would only play for Quinn as a last resort or if I absolutely needed/wanted to stay in WNY.

Agree on your take of Quinn. "Cartoon character football coach" is a perfect description of him and he sounded like he had no idea what he was doing from the start.

He is more qualified to be a NFL OC than Hackett. :)

But I think it is a great hire. Winning is winning and he has a great system. He accomplished a ton without scholarships. And D3 football has some legit talent to go against. I think UB could be a powerhouse if they can keep some of the local talent home. I won't be shocked if UB becomes a better program than Syracuse in a few years.

He is more qualified to be a NFL OC than Hackett. :)

But I think it is a great hire. Winning is winning and he has a great system. He accomplished a ton without scholarships. And D3 football has some legit talent to go against. I think UB could be a powerhouse if they can keep some of the local talent home. I won't be shocked if UB becomes a better program than Syracuse in a few years.

agree with everything you said...but, what local talent does he need to keep home? how many stud D1 players have come from WNY in the past 5-10 years? The gronkowskis, lynch, maybe Kelly if you consider him to be that....its not like this area is a hot bed that is bleeding from losing talent to big schools...

Id prefer this guy to be able to go to real football states and recruit there, trick them into coming to cold ass WNY and play football at a SUNY campus instead of Penn St, Mich, any southern/west coast football school, etc....thats where you need to be able to recruit from to turn around this program, let alone compete for any type of bowls....

agree with everything you said...but, what local talent does he need to keep home? how many stud D1 players have come from WNY in the past 5-10 years? The gronkowskis, lynch, maybe Kelly if you consider him to be that....its not like this area is a hot bed that is bleeding from losing talent to big schools...

Id prefer this guy to be able to go to real football states and recruit there, trick them into coming to cold ass WNY and play football at a SUNY campus instead of Penn St, Mich, any southern/west coast football school, etc....thats where you need to be able to recruit from to turn around this program, let alone compete for any type of bowls....

As a proud Canisius High former football player, we are a factory. Top 40 in the country, have a top recruit in the country this year (Wheatley), at least 10 D1 players, and have 2 guys in the NFL currently (Uershecl and Jimmy Gaines on the Bills). Jamestown is very good. Obviously, you need to recruit the country but you can't let D1 talent leave here. They will have the pride of the area that can rebuild a program.

As a proud Canisius High former football player, we are a factory. Top 40 in the country, have a top recruit in the country this year (Wheatley), at least 10 D1 players, and have 2 guys in the NFL currently (Uershecl and Jimmy Gaines on the Bills). Jamestown is very good. Obviously, you need to recruit the country but you can't let D1 talent leave here. They will have the pride of the area that can rebuild a program.

Go Crusaders!!

Great post C. Biscuit. This is so true. There is really good football being played in WNY at the moment.

Canisius is sick, this is true (wish I could be proud of a high school like that)...Wheatley isnt a Canisius kid though haha, that was a freak situation, but he will be recruited from WNY

Canisius is an outlier though, could Canisius compete on a national level? They would be NYs best hope at it....Jamestown vs real football schools across the country? Would be like the Packers playing a d-2 school

Agree with what your saying though, gobble up all that local talent sure....but his success will rest on if he can pull big time talent to this school from real football hot beds

Recruiting is obviously really important but Leipold has already shown he can coach, and to me recruited ability means nothing without great coaching, and a great coach can elevate a pretty good recruit to a great one.

GREAT POINT

I know nothing about his offense at D3 - anyone explain or have resources about it?

Edited by PaattMaann

Your 1st statement is true. Thats where Peterson took Boise State over the top. He attacked California and did it successfully.

At this point now though, UB is going up against the other MAC schools, Conference USA, and somewhat the Sunbelt. Lots of room to improve there as I think at some point in 2013 UB was rated the very bottom of FBS recruiting class. Probably wont be going head to head too much with the Big 10s of the world, and if they are, it would likely be a fringe player/project who would instantly be red-shirted and/or not get any attention/playing time at the Big 10 schools, so they would be offering a completely different package.

Down the road, maybe. If they were to somehow become a dominant MAC program they will go head to head with some Big 10 schools, maybe even some Big 12.