UB Hires Lance Leipold to be Head Football Coach

Bulls to Hire Leipold

The University at Buffalo is set to name Lance Leipold its new football head coach, according to a Sports Illustrated report Sunday night.

Leipold, 50, has a 106-6 career record at Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater where he’s won five national championships in eight seasons. The SI report describes Leipold as “offensive-minded and known for his pro-style scheme. He’s respected in the coaching community and expected to bring at least one staff member with major FBS recruiting experience.”

Leipold hired as UB Bulls head football coach

News 4 Sports confirmed that the University at Buffalo hired Lance Leipold as their new head football coach. Sports Illustrated initially reported the hire early Sunday night. Leipold, who is currently the coach at Division III University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, led the Warkhawks to five Division III national championships and could possibly win a sixth this year.

Leipold has a 106-6 in eight seasons as head coach of the Warhawks. Last month he reached the 100-win mark, becoming the fastest coach to reach the milestone across all divisions. The official announcement is expected to come on Monday at 1 p.m.

Cant argue with his success at the D3 level. At this point why the heck not? Eventually something has to stick. UB has nowhere to go but up after this debacle of a season.

I think it was a debacle until Quinn was fired, letting 2 winnable games slip away. But they finished 5-6.

This was a surprising hire, but a good one. D3 coaches rarely jump to D1 but few coaches have his W-L record.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

In college football, being able to recruit from your surrounding area is vital.

Leipold is from Wisconsin. He has no ties to upstate NY, or even PA / Ohio for that matter. I'm not sure he's really a good fit.

Cant argue with his record though.

Edited by ldandria

Leipold is from Wisconsin. He has no ties to upstate NY, or even PA / Ohio for that matter. I'm not sure he's really a good fit.

Quinn didn't recruit WNY at all but Turner Gill did. Neither had ties to WNY. It won't take long to build those relationships. It's not like anyone really "owns" WNY when it comes to recruiting.

I don't think being from Wisconsin will be a huge disadvantage, but not having experiencing recruiting very well could be.

I don't think being from Wisconsin will be a huge disadvantage, but not having experiencing recruiting very well could be.

D3 coaches at powerhouse programs are probably better recruiters than others. They have to convince the kids to join the program without any athletic scholarships, and that their role at a D3 powerhouse like Wisconsin-Whitewater is better for them than a different role at a D2 school, for example.

He can recruit. I worked at Whitewater many years ago, so I follow the team. Division III is all about recruiting. You cannot really offer scholarships, so you have to find the right athletes to come in. He's a great hire.

Anybody who can bring a program to the point where they beat Mount Friggin' Union 5 out of 7 years for the national championship is a great coach. I'm concerned for UW-W losing a great coach. I'll bet the rest of division III is looking forward to not facing this guy. He has 3 more games to win another national championship.