Has Marrone "evolved" with regard to 4th down?

In the past two games St. Doug has gone for it on 4th down as opposed to not in the critical KC and MIA games where he should have. Has he come around to being more aggressive on 4th down inside opponents territory? Sure seems so to me and it's about damned time.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I was going to mention this as well...I believe Marrone has taken positive steps in this regard over the past two weeks. One could argue yesterday's game was the best-coached of his tenure.

I thought he was well tuned into the flow of the game. Going for it on fourth down was more about having confidence in his defense than it was having confidence in his offense. It was the performance of the stifling defense that allowed this cautious coach to extend his boundaries of risk taking.

Edited by JohnC

easy to say now but with all the attention this got after the Miami game I would have bet the house he would have went for it in the Jets game if the situation presented itself

I was surprised he went for it yesterday, i fully expected a punt to pin them deep

I don't think so at all. He's conservative on the issue. But the one Sunday was a no brainer, and he would have done the same thing earlier in the year. He's not against going for it, he's just a conservative coach. They had already decided before the game that if they got right to that part of the field they were going for it. I would imagine every coach in the league would go for it in that specific situation at that specific spot at home on a windy day with our defense playing the way it was. It was at the 37 yard line. To me, that call was absolutely zero indication whatsoever that Marrone has changed his attitude toward 4th down.

I don't think so at all. He's conservative on the issue. But the one Sunday was a no brainer, and he would have done the same thing earlier in the year. He's not against going for it, he's just a conservative coach. They had already decided before the game that if they got right to that part of the field they were going for it. I would imagine every coach in the league would go for it in that specific situation at that specific spot at home on a windy day with our defense playing the way it was. It was at the 37 yard line. To me, that call was absolutely zero indication whatsoever that Marrone has changed his attitude toward 4th down.

With our offense and defense, I don't think being conservative on fourth down is the wrong way to go, in general.

In the past two games St. Doug has gone for it on 4th down as opposed to not in the critical KC and MIA games where he should have. Has he come around to being more aggressive on 4th down inside opponents territory? Sure seems so to me and it's about damn time.

Hopefully, Although he did punt inside the 50 on 4rth and 2 and felt he should have went for it.

With our offense and defense, I don't think being conservative on fourth down is the wrong way to go, in general.

I disagree too. Don't put your defense in a bad spot. Make them go farther. Punting has been ok.

And if the offense sucks on third down why should we expect them to be better on fourth down.

Fourth and 1 QB sneak like Brady every time is fine with me. Otherwise conservative is ok with this defense.

I disagree too. Don't put your defense in a bad spot. Make them go farther. Punting has been ok.

And if the offense sucks on third down why should we expect them to be better on fourth down.

Fourth and 1 QB sneak like Brady every time is fine with me. Otherwise conservative is ok with this defense.

Why shouldn't aving a strong defense make a coach more willing to go for it on 4th down? If you don't make it, then your defense can probably get a stop anyway. And doesn't a weak offense benefit from having an extra down to move the chains? Edited by mannc

I thought he was well tuned into the flow of the game. Going for it on fourth down was more about having confidence in his defense than it was having confidence in his offense. It was the performance of the stifling defense that allowed this cautious coach to extend his boundaries of risk taking.

I ask a serious question here....I just do not understand the reasoning here. And i hear it alot. I think going for it on 4th on positive side of the field is almost aslways a no brainer( i think a lot more than that, but i will keep to positive side of field now).

Seems to me, if my defense was playing lights out, if you want to an argument to punt, you make it then. Pin them deep, get better field position, better position for field goal etc.

If my D is getting torn and the opposing Offense is making plays...i need to score touchdowns and posses the ball for as long as i can.

To me, it seems as if the argument for going for it 0n 4th is when your D sucks, not when you have the D the Bills have.

Again, to emphasize, i am in the ALWAYS go for it camp.

So you agree? Why'd you say you disagree?

I ask a serious question here....I just do not understand the reasoning here. And i hear it alot. I think going for it on 4th on positive side of the field is almost aslways a no brainer( i think a lot more than that, but i will keep to positive side of field now).

Seems to me, if my defense was playing lights out, if you want to an argument to punt, you make it then. Pin them deep, get better field position, better position for field goal etc.

If my D is getting torn and the opposing Offense is making plays...i need to score touchdowns and posses the ball for as long as i can.

To me, it seems as if the argument for going for it 0n 4th is when your D sucks, not when you have the D the Bills have.

Again, to emphasize, i am in the ALWAYS go for it camp.

Marrone is cautious by nature with regard to taking risks on fourth down. If he has a defense that has suffocated the opposition then the risk of not making a first down on a fourth down try is potentially less damaging. That's simply my point.

Edited by JohnC

Marrone is cautious by nature with regard to taking risks on fourth down. If he has a defense that has suffocated the opposition then the risk of not making a first down on a fourth down try is potentially less damaging. That's simply my point.

I'm hoping he's much more aggressive this week vs. Denver because settling for FGs and punting inside Broncos' territory on 4th down to give Manning additional possessions is a losing recipe.