Put Aaron Rodgers in the GOAT Conversation

johnwalter

In some alternate universe, Buffalo passed on JP and wound up grabbing Aaron when he slipped the next season. I wonder how different his career would have been had that happened. He would have been rushed in, not allowed the time to tinker with his throw like he did behind Brett... it might have been disastrous.

I dunno, but I'm sure the equation "Rodgers = RJ" would have been posted here more than once.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also he is not even in the top 10 QB's of all time as of yet. It's still way too early. If he plays at this rate another 5-10 years and wins another Super Bowl or two then we can revisit this thread. Personally, I would go (modern era only- post-Johnny Unitas): 1. Brady, 2. Montana, 3. Manning, 4. Young, 5. Favre, 6. Elway, 7. Marino, 8. Brees then huge drop off. But for now, let's wait until Rodgers passes Jon Kitna on the all time passing yardage list before we anoint him the greatest QB of all time.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Regular season Peyton or playoff Manning. You don't want the latter--see his classic gag job in the SB...

If it's a playoff game, it's a "big game".

MAnning has perhaps the worst playoff record (11-12) of any QB who has played as many games. 13 years of playoff appearnaces. 8 one and dones (2 years in a row to ....SD!!). In his SB winning playoff run, he threw 3 TDs and 7 ints over 4 games. LAst year, 280 garbage time yards and a single TD to go with his 2 ints.

No way you want Manning in an must win high stakes ("big") game...

As for Rodger and GOAT, he's only in his 7th year as starter. He needs to be a lot more productive in the off-season to get deep into that discussion. Since his SB win in 2010, the Packers have won a single playoff game (he threw 6 TDs over his last 4 playoff games).

I have always thought this idea of being a "big game" QB is a pretty simplistic way to look at it. It's funny to me that Tom Brady is considered a big game QB but Manning is not. Brady won his first Super Bowl with 145 yds passing and one TD. That win was more about his team's defense and Mike Martz' arrogance than it was about Brady. He won won two more SB in 2003 and 2004. He played well in both of those games, but NE also had a great running game and great defense those two years. In those three SB years, he was 9-0. Since 2005 (and since spy gate??) his playoff record is 9-8 and he lost the two SBs he played in. During that time, he may have been an even better QB than he was during his Superbowl winning years - but, his defenses and running games have not been nearly as good. So - is he a big game QB or not? It's more than just the QB....don't forget, Trent Dilfer won a SB and Ben Roethlisberger won a SB with the lowest QB rating in the history of SBs...

I like many other posters believe that ARod should be in the conversation, but he still needs more in his body of work to be considered the best of all time. He is literally on historic pace. His career QB rating is a ridiculous 106.5. Take a look at how that stacks up vs some of the guys in the convo:

Brady- 96.1

Manning- 97.8

Montana- 92.3

Favre- 86.0

Rodgers is so safe with the ball. His career TD/INT ratio is 220-55. No QB is even close to a 4-1 ratio, Manning is just a tad over 2-1.

But like I said, he is on amazing pace. I firmly believe that when he retires (Hopefully in another 10 years as a Packer), he will be considered the best all time, but he has a ways to go. The sad thing is that so many of us Packer fans take it for granted. Spoiled I call it. We don't truly appreciate how great he is, and have to take a step back and say wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Rodgers is very likely the best QB at the moment and he's trending towards exclusive company should he be able to keep this pace up and win another cou0ple of SB's.

As for Brady vs Manning ....... it's all about super bowl performance at this level of consideration.

Brady has played well enough to win 5 super bowls compared to Manning's one.

Brady has been defensive stop away from victory in his 2 super bowl losses. Manning, OTOH, got blown out in one super bowl loss and threw a game sealing pick 6 in the other.

You forgot the part where JP beat the Patriots yesterday.

That might have just been a dream...

GOAT = Greatest of All Time.

Thank you, I was also concerned about farm animals everywhere. This makes more sense,

@Espngreeny

There isn't any way not to say it: Aaron Rodgers is trending toward being the greatest QB of all time. #Packers

Aaron Rodgers is playing at a clip as well as just about any QB to ever play the game. Fair. But part of a legacy is sustaining that greatness. What if all of a sudden he started to suck next year. Or he had a career-altering injury. Not likely but if so, that affects his all-time status. Mike Bossy played at a greater clip for ten years than guys like Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, etc. ever played. But he is not considered an all-time greater player. In baseball there are even more extreme examples. Dale Murphy won two consecutive MVP's. How about Bernard King in the NBA?? Circling back to football, Jamaal Lewis and Terrell Davis had seasons greater than Emmitt Smith ever had. I could go on and on. Let's see if he can do this for a few more years and, like I said earlier, pass Jon Kitna on the all-time passing yardage list before we start throwing around these superlatives.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Aaron Rodgers is playing at a clip as well as just about any QB to ever play the game. Fair. But part of a legacy is sustaining that greatness. What if all of a sudden he started to suck next year. Or he had a career-altering injury. Not likely but if so, that affects his all-time status. Mike Bossy played at a greater clip for ten years than guys like Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, etc. ever played. But he is not considered an all-time greater player. In baseball there are even more extreme examples. Dale Murphy won two consecutive MVP's. How about Bernard King in the NBA?? Circling back to football, Jamaal Lewis and Terrell Davis had seasons greater than Emmitt Smith ever had. I could go on and on. Let's see if he can do this for a few more years and, like I said earlier, pass Jon Kitna on the all-time passing yardage list before we start throwing around these superlatives.

Gale Sayers says Hello.

In some alternate universe, Buffalo passed on JP and wound up grabbing Aaron when he slipped the next season. I wonder how different his career would have been had that happened. He would have been rushed in, not allowed the time to tinker with his throw like he did behind Brett... it might have been disastrous.

Not only this, what would he perform like under the tutelage of AVP, Turk Schonert. :sick:

Rodgers is what he is today because he was able to sit behind one of the greatest QB's ever, and watch / learn. Then that coaching staff with Mike McCarthy has, and is one of the very best in the league. His WR corps is, and has been one of the best in the league.

Coaching is everything in my view, and its why I hope the Bills hire a new offensive staff in 2015.

The one sole weak link to that entire Packer offense is, and has been their offensive line. I can recall Rodgers missing games due to concussions, and after so many of those...its game over! :wacko:

Not only this, what would he perform like under the tutelage of AVP, Turk Schonert. :sick:

Rodgers is what he is today because he was able to sit behind one of the greatest QB's ever, and watch / learn. Then that coaching staff with Mike McCarthy has, and is one of the very best in the league. His WR corps is, and has been one of the best in the league.

Coaching is everything in my view, and its why I hope the Bills hire a new offensive staff in 2015.

The one sole weak link to that entire Packer offense is, and has been their offensive line. I can recall Rodgers missing games due to concussions, and after so many of those...its game over! :wacko:

AVP is his QB coach.

You and your obsession over offensive lines. Isn't their offensive line playing a lot better this year?

If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning belong in the GOAT conversation, so does Rodgers. Year after year, AA-Rod performs at ridiculous levels, and while people recognize him as great, he remains under-appreciated.

If I had to win a game tomorrow, I'd take 2014 Rodgers over any other quarterback in NFL history.

That's a shame because you'd lose to at least 10 other guys. Just saying

And also he is not even in the top 10 QB's of all time as of yet. It's still way too early. If he plays at this rate another 5-10 years and wins another Super Bowl or two then we can revisit this thread. Personally, I would go (modern era only- post-Johnny Unitas): 1. Brady, 2. Montana, 3. Manning, 4. Young, 5. Favre, 6. Elway, 7. Marino, 8. Brees then huge drop off. But for now, let's wait until Rodgers passes Jon Kitna on the all time passing yardage list before we anoint him the greatest QB of all time.

Ehhhh you kinda forgot the guy who threw the ball to Metzelaars, you know the one who owned Marino.

If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning belong in the GOAT conversation, so does Rodgers. Year after year, AA-Rod performs at ridiculous levels, and while people recognize him as great, he remains under-appreciated.

If I had to win a game tomorrow, I'd take 2014 Rodgers over any other quarterback in NFL history.

If Marino/Elway/Montana were able to play quarterback with the rules in place today, with the athletes there are today, I'd take any of them.

Rodgers is amazing, he does everything well, but he's also playing in an age where DB's aren't allowed to cover anyone.

Edited by Handsome

If Marino/Elway/Montana were able to play quarterback with the rules in place today, with the athletes there are today, I'd take any of them.

Rodgers is amazing, he does everything well, but he's also playing in an age where DB's aren't allowed to cover anyone.

Throw Dan Fouts in there too. The passing stats he and Marino racked up in the early-mid 80s are hugely underrated.